kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Rated 18 in the UK (no one allowed below 18, a bit like an NC-17 but NC-18) for strong violence:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/mother-2017

I would imagine very few studio movie get an 18 rating (Logan didn't, The Revenant didn't) Wolf of Wall Street was rated '18' too and was not an hard movie to watch at all.

American Assassin has an 18 certificate for the violence. Wolf of Wall Street was more due to the combination of sex and swearing. The Fifty Shades films were rated 18 and Gone Girl was as well although I suspect GG would have gotten 15 if it wasn't for that one scene.

• Like 1

In France, the 50 shades of Grey movies have only a 12 yo restriction.

French censors have less problems with sex & nudity than violence, which is the sane & right order.

The MPAA protected the kids of 'Murica with the controversial french movie Amélie that got an R Rating.

A very disturbing movie in deed.

Edited by The Futurist

10 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

In France, the 50 shades of Grey moves have only a 12 yo restriction.

French censors have less problems with sex & nudity than violence, which is the sane & right order.

The MPAA protected the kids of 'Murica with the controversial french movie Amélie that got an R Rating.

A very disturbing movie in deed.

There are many PG-13 films which got 15 ratings in the U.K, The Mummy was one example and that was pretty tame apart from one scene, Suicide Squad was another

• Like 1

http://screencrush.com/aronofsky-mother-reactions/

Tagging one section that isn't really a spoiler

…And that pretty much lines up with the little I’ve heard about Aronofsky’s latest, which isn’t exactly the film Paramount is selling in those trailers. There’s much more to the plot than they’re letting on (I think that’s a good thing), and according to at least one source,

Spoiler

it has an insane ending that’s going to be the subject of intense post-viewing discussion — which may explain Carbia’s comparison to A Clockwork Orange in terms of controversy.

This isn't so much mismarketing as it is actually keeping the plot under wraps :bravo: 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

http://screencrush.com/aronofsky-mother-reactions/

Tagging one section that isn't really a spoiler

This isn't so much mismarketing as it is actually keeping the plot under wraps :bravo: 

Thanks for the spoiler tags.  I'm guessing there is something which, when known in advance, makes the movie much less powerful, and I don't want to know it.  If I see it without spoiler tags, it will be my first reported post here.  Not to mention, I'll learn voodoo, for revenge.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, trifle said:

Thanks for the spoiler tags.  I'm guessing there is something which, when known in advance, makes the movie much less powerful, and I don't want to know it.  If I see it without spoiler tags, it will be my first reported post here.  Not to mention, I'll learn voodoo, for revenge.

It's not necessarily something that'll make the film less powerful because it's a super vague comment, but you'll be expecting it when you know it's coming.

Edited by WrathOfHan

2 hours ago, italianyaki said:

http://www.youllneveranswerthedooragain.com/

New clip. It reveals the name of Jen's character.

There's a whole lot of creepy going on.

Edited by trifle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4842302/Jennifer-Lawrence-master-plasterer-film-Mother.html#ixzz4rNamtupH

The film which also features Kristen Wiig, along with siblings Domhnall Gleeson and Brian Gleeson, demands a commitment from audiences.

When I saw it, I was immediately drawn in, and deeply. But folks are going to be arguing about Mother! — pro and con — for a long time.

Most movies, Aronofsky said, are ‘kind of like McDonald's’; two hours later you throw the wrapper away and ‘you can’t remember what you had’. But you’d remember if you’d had cote de boeuf.

I know a lot of people have been saying that bad WOM could collapse this film's legs, but everything is pointing to this being a film audiences HAVE to see to believe.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, That Tulip Guy said:

lmao wtf in The Mummy warrants a 15 rating.  That movie was standard PG-13 shit

The BBFC are very tough on violence, The Hunger Games had to edit a scene with blood splatter and remove seven seconds of violence to ensure it got a 12A. 

Edited by Jonwo

So far reactions from AW are what I expected to be : this will go nowhere in AMPAS land and be divisive.

Katniss and Catwoman supposedly  terrific.

The NDA was worse than JJ Abrams, they can't say anything specific about the movie besides vague comments.

Movie is INTENSE as fuck, not for everyone & clown enthusiasts.

Edited by The Futurist

Reaction roundup from AW:

Spoiler

Sorry you guys, I would LOVE to download my experience directly to your brains cuz it's a movie that you really need to see for yourself and of course the NDA. So I'll just say this: it's not a hyperbole when they said it's intense. It's INTENSE, even physically exhausting at times.

All I'm saying is that the film will be divisive, and that Lawrence and Pfeiffer are certainly in play but I doubt anything else is, and that's not a statement on the film's quality - although I definitely have such statements, when the embargo breaks.

I'm not sure which of you guys were or weren't at the screening, but I would compare it to a Master situation, wherein buzz may build around the actors without the film necessarily going through.

While I think Lawrence and Pfeiffer are in play, I don't think either have a path to a win.

I don't see how they would be in play if this ends up in the 50s on MC; this year Lawrence has to contend against Stone, Dench, Bening, Vega, McDormand and Hayek for the last two spots. It isn't like 2015 where there was no other option.

Agreed. I don't think anything is happening at the Oscars. I honestly think the best bet is Production Design, and that's a long shot.

I'm gonna assume that, even if they don't get nods, it bodes well for their resumes as actors though? If so how well in your opinions?

Offers something new for Lawrence for sure. I imagine she will get positive notices.

I think it's better for everyone to just watch it. I don't think critic reactions are going to be much help. I think when people can finally see it in two weeks (or however long where they live), they'll get it. It's not whether I liked it or not, it's simply not made for awards. I can't imagine Aronofsky (or anyone) ever had the thought cross their minds when making this.

"I don't want any details, just one quick question: Horror or psychological thriller?"

Horror.

Interesting... I don't really think its horror in the traditional sense. It has elements, but felt more psychological thriller to me (for the most part).ETA: With some more thought about it, I guess I could see why one would say it was horror.

I WASN'T at a screening, but IF I WERE I would say that Black Swan does not hold a candle to the insanity that SEEMS TO takes place in this film. Lawrence and Michelle Pfeiffer FOR ALL I KNOW might give possibly their best performances in this film. Bardem and Ed Harris MIGHT be very good as well (but maybe not oscar worthy), but I DID NOT SEE THIS MOVIE. Wiig may be very good in WHAT I AM ASSUMING is a small role.

Question for those who saw it- are the claims the ending is insane and comparisions to ClockworkOrange accurate or are people just blowing it out of proportion? Also did trailers spoil anything in last act?

For the first part, no, they weren't blown entirely out of proportion, but I wouldn't make that comparison. Very different types of films and endings. 

Second part, no, trailers don't ruin the third act. 

MysteryX: For most of the film, intensity is at a solid 6- there's a constant uneasiness. Third act would be a 9, but I can't at all explain why. 

So if this DOESN'T land with audiences, it ain't gonna be due to pacing. This sounds like a wild ass ride.

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Reaction roundup from AW:

Reveal hidden contents

So if this DOESN'T land with audiences, it ain't gonna be due to pacing. This sounds like a wild ass ride.

Aronokski never connected with audiences except with Black Swan.