kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

21 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Aronokski never connected with audiences except with Black Swan.

I would argue Requiem for a Dream eventually became the "edgy" movie that everyone and their grandmother have seen, but that happened very slowly over the years, so yeah it doesn't really count. 

• Like 1

Requiem definitely became big over the years. By the time I was in high school less than a decade after it came out I think half of my class had seen it. 

All the claims about how INTENSE this is just make me think of Zulawski's Possession, incidentally also drama/horror with a married couple in the center. I'll be impressed if this even comes close to that one. 

1 hour ago, Joel M said:

I would argue Requiem for a Dream eventually became the "edgy" movie that everyone and their grandmother have seen, but that happened very slowly over the years, so yeah it doesn't really count. 

I think it is ok to judge how it connected with is home video performance over time, specially because that it was an unrated movie that never played in any mainstream theater to have any chance.

It is still a movie that is use in day to day talk by people (it was even used in Kraft diner tv ads at some points), it certainly connected, that why marketing put from the director of Requiem of a dream on poster.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I think it is ok to judge how it connected with is home video performance over time, specially because that it was an unrated movie that never played in any mainstream theater to have any chance.

It is still a movie that is use in day to day talk by people (it was even used in Kraft diner tv ads at some points), it certainly connected, that why marketing put from the director of Requiem of a dream on poster.

I think people who have heard of Requiem as a classic will have an open mind towards this, whatever this is.  I expect to be turned inside out.

On 8/31/2017 at 0:30 PM, Barnack said:

Rated 18 in the UK (no one allowed below 18, a bit like an NC-17 but NC-18) for strong violence:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/mother-2017

I would imagine very few studio movie get an 18 rating (Logan didn't, The Revenant didn't) Wolf of Wall Street was rated '18' too and was not an hard movie to watch at all.

If that is really their equivalent of a NC-17, then it is absolutely deserving. It is EXTREMELY violent. It is way tougher than those movies. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4842302/Jennifer-Lawrence-master-plasterer-film-Mother.html#ixzz4rNamtupH

I know a lot of people have been saying that bad WOM could collapse this film's legs, but everything is pointing to this being a film audiences HAVE to see to believe.

The Cinemascore is going to be atrocious, and general audiences are not going to want to see the movie after people tell them about a certain scene.  

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

If that is really their equivalent of a NC-17

Yes in the sense you cannot be under 18 even with a guardian over 18 with you (a bit of a NC-18 equivalent), but I would doubt that it carry the weight of the NC-17 in term of less theater agreeing to play it or not and people caring about ratings like in the US. (that is a very american thing I think)

I usually love Aronofsky movies, but even I am not able to totally grasp Mother!. It is his most violent, unsettling movie yet. Black Swan has nothing on it in terms of being strange or unsettling. I think that I understand the ending from a thematic point, but I am not totally sure. I am going to see it again. It is one of those movies that you are going to have to ruminate on to truly see how you feel about it. If you are a cinephile, you will appreciate the movie. If you are a Hunger Games Jennifer Lawrence fan and are expecting what you are accustomed to with her, then Mother! is not the movie for you. With that stated, I still think that Joy is Jennifer Lawrence's best performance. The movie is not going anywhere near the Oscars, but I suspect that the movie will have critics liking Jennifer Lawrence again. It has a certain element that is going to entirely repulse quite a few people. I am not going to post what it is because I do not see any spoiler tags. If you just want a well-made, provocative movie, then the movie will not disappoint you. It is absolutely not made with general audiences in mind, though. 

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 2

I will take opinion of people that have seen the movie over speculation obviously, but remember that with the new oscar system, 5% of the #1 vote get you in automatically (and if there is some strong consensus at the top they are quickly removed from the equation for the rests), repulsive make it impossible to win anything (or even be in the race for it), but if you achieve to be still seen, you really do not need to be in the wheelhouse of that large proportion of voters to have some chance.

Edited by Barnack

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Requiem definitely became big over the years. By the time I was in high school less than a decade after it came out I think half of my class had seen it. 

All the claims about how INTENSE this is just make me think of Zulawski's Possession, incidentally also drama/horror with a married couple in the center. I'll be impressed if this even comes close to that one. 

Possession is a nice comparison

Spoiler

, but Mother! does not have any outright supernatural elements to it.

Spoiler

That is depending on how you interpret the ending at least. 

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I will take opinion of people that have seen the movie over speculation obviously, but remember that with the new oscar system, 5% of the #1 vote get you in automatically (and if there is some strong consensus at the top they are quickly removed from the equation for the rests), repulsive make it impossible to win anything (or even be in the race for it), but if you achieve to be still seen, you really do not need to be in the wheelhouse of that large proportion of voters to have some chance.

He is going to need to have a bunch of friends in the academy to receive five percent of number one votes. I personally do not believe that the movie is repulsive. Movies that are repulsive to me are movies like Hostel, the Saw movies after one and Diary of a Teenage girl. Mother! is a very artistic movie. I can see how there are going to be a bunch of people unsettled by it, though. Oscars are not the barometer of a great movie. I am pretty sure that cinephiles are going to appreciate the movie. People are surely going to be referencing it years from now, which is what really matters. 

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 2