kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

18 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

SO YOU'RE TELLING ME THIS COULD EITHER BE A 2+ HOUR EPIC OR SOME NEUTERED FUCKING BARELY A FEATURE 115 MINUTE TURD?

IT WON'T BE EPIC ENOUGH WITHOUT THE EXTRA 131 SECONDS

16 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Even more true now :sparta:

giphy.gif

31 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Hmm, there are two new runtimes for the film. AMC says it's 2:01 while Fandango says it's 2:03. The TIFF runtime is 1:55. Hmm.

Aronofsky tweeted that he finally finished it today, so any predating today may be inaccurate.

Just now, Hiccup23 said:

I don't see this doing well in the box office. I just can't see an opening over 15M. I also feel like this film will crash and burn with legs.

The film only cost $13M to make. Even if it crashes after the opening weekend, it will have turned a profit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hiccup23 said:

I don't see this doing well in the box office. I just can't see an opening over 15M. I also feel like this film will crash and burn with legs.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The film only cost $13M to make. Even if it crashes after the opening weekend, it will have turned a profit.

This.  And it is opening near-worldwide - maybe not in China, but China theatrical sites have posted about it.  This is a risky project, but it should still make money, even if the general public finds it hard to watch. 

Aronofsky's Venice Film Festival Director's statement:

http://theplaylist.net/mother-directors-statement-20170829/

It is a mad time to be alive. As the world population nears 8 billion we face issues too serious to fathom: ecosystems collapse as we witness extinction at an unprecedented rate; migrant crises disrupt governments; a seemingly schizophrenic US helps broker a landmark climate treaty and months later withdraws; ancient tribal disputes and beliefs continue to drive war and division; the largest iceberg ever recorded breaks off an Antarctic ice shelf and drifts out to sea. At the same time we face issues too ridiculous to comprehend: in South America, tourists twice kill rare baby dolphins that washed ashore, suffocating them in a frenzy of selfies; politics resembles sporting events; people still starve to death while others can order any meat they desire. As a species our footprint is perilously unsustainable yet we live in a state of denial about the outlook for our planet and our place on it. From this primordial soup of angst and helplessness, I woke up one morning and this movie poured out of me like a fever dream. All of my previous films gestated with me for many years but I wrote the first draft of mother! in 5 days. Within a year we were rolling cameras. And now two years later, it is an honor to return to the Lido for the world premiere. I imagine people may ask why the film has such a dark vision. Hubert Selby Jr., the author of Requiem for a Dream, taught me that through staring into the darkest parts of ourselves is where we find the light. mother! begins as a chamber story about a marriage. At the center is a woman who is asked to give and give and give until she can give nothing more. Eventually, the chamber story can’t contain the pressure boiling inside. It becomes something else which is hard to explain or describe. I can’t fully pinpoint where this film all came from. Some came from the headlines we face every second of every day, some came from the endless buzzing of notifications on our smartphones, some came from living through the blackout of Hurricane Sandy in downtown Manhattan, some came from my heart, some from my gut. Collectively it’s a recipe I won’t ever be able to reproduce, but I do know this serving is best drunk as a single dose in a shot glass. Knock it back. Salute!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hiccup23 said:

But 15m would be doing great at the box office (and a bit unrealistic), that would 115% of the movie budget in one market in one weekend, could have 0 legs if it follow Arofonsky recent 30/70 dbo/intl ratio to be a big nearly 4 time it's budget total success 50m at the bo. More than acclaimed arthouse movies like Her (47m) or Ex Machina (37m) that had bigger budget and did seem more accessible.

Closest recent comparable could be The Witch, that became a bit of a phenomenon art house horror wise, over 13m trailer views on youtube, acclaim in 15+ festival with a year of build up hype from Sundance 2015 to release, it made 8.8m on over 2000 theater wide release.

It come at night made 6m on 2,500 theater wide.

The Witch: 91% RT

It come at night : 88% RT

Cannot do much more than this RT wise, probably less, except if they ramp up P&A beating the Witch domestic OW would not be bad at all. Doing well at the bo need to take into account the type of movie it is, is budget and the size and length of is marketing campaign.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

This movie has more secrecy than The Force Awakens.

We literraly know nothing.

There is another trailer coming out, that was rated 14A in Canada.

I'm not sure I'm going to watch it, though.  But it seems it will play before 'It!' which is probably a good way to engage that audience.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Krissykins said:

This should've moved to last weekend.

Last w/e or the w/e before that.  Or at least moving it several week from IT in the other direction.  It's not as if Paramount has a crowded schedule either so why choose one week after IT?  Opening in the shadow of a horror behemoth it might have to settle for the art house crowd which is far less than what it could have attained.  It's a wide Paramount release so P&A most isn't art house sized.

• Like 2

mother earth... Eve... he is heavy on the symbolism...

but I think we all knew it was an environmental theme -parallel.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1