kayumanggi

PETER RABBIT | 02.09.18 | Sony | Will Gluck to write and produce

5 hours ago, slambros said:

Now I want this to succeed, because this can be seen by studios as a statement that live-action/animated hybrid films can be done right, and told with generous amounts of love and care.

Even in the trailers, I could see creative applications of film technique as a first-year film student. So kudos to the filmmakers for caring enough to try.

This being 2018, I suppose it's only to be expected that Peter Rabbit should try to sodomize the farmer with a carrot.

Uh huh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, slambros said:

A thought just occurred to me.

A busy and successful holiday season of films were distributed to audiences, and I'm sure the trailer for this film played alongside those films many times. In fact, Jumanji, another Sony film, did so well that there's no way for this trailer to have missed a good majority of the families who saw that film.

So, many, many people are at least aware of this film. And I'm sure families will see this film to celebrate the Valentine's holiday; I'm also sure that, when people's Black Panther showings are sold out, this will be a popular second choice.

Why, this reminds me of the time Disney and Sony had two films released a week apart from each other, where the Disney film is a massive event action film based on a famous property and was a follow-up (if you assume Black Panther's a sequel to Civil War) to a $1B grossing predecessor, while also garnering backlash from neo-Nazis, and where the Sony film was a family comedy based on a children's book and features an actress from Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

• Like 1

Going by some comments here and online scores looks like another Emoji for Sony. Badly received but successful. As such feels like what's wrong with that, but it hinders building a franchise. Just like Nut Job 2 flopped after Nut Job succeeded. Emoji2 if made might under-perform and so could Rabbit2. So looks like a temporary win but a win nevertheless (won't be surprised if it does 200-250 ww like Emoji on the same 50 prod budget).  Forget being loved, but even a few well liked films could make SPA an A-tier animation studio.

Now one might say that even PAD2 is under-performing after a good reception for both PAD1&2, but I think the Weinstein scandal affected it and it was a UK import so had things a bit tough. Same issues Sony faced with great (imo) Aardman animation films flopping.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

Nah, I get where they're coming from there. Pretty scummy to use something like an EpiPen as a punchline IMO, especially in a kids movie.

“Making light of this condition hurts our members because it encourages the public not to take the risk of allergic reactions seriously, and this cavalier attitude may make them act in ways that could put an allergic person in danger,”

That seems like a reasonable concern to me?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Nah, I get where they're coming from there. Pretty scummy to use something like an EpiPen as a punchline IMO, especially in a kids movie.

In the film, it’s more of an attack on Domhnall Gleeson’s character rather than allergies itself.  It’s a relatively small part of the film, and it’s solved in a few seconds when he injects himself with an EpiPen.  They also do make it clear that his condition is pretty serious (considering how panicked he was when he ingested a blackberry), even if the jokes surrounding the situation are intended for laughs.  They also make jokes when a character

has a heart attack

earlier on in the film and you don’t hear parents complaining about how that’s gonna make kids not treat heart attacks seriously.  If they’re worried about kids copying that, I mean, it’s rated PG for a reason.

2 hours ago, aabattery said:

I honestly see both sides to an extent. I get why some parents may be offended... allergies are no joke I have a cousin who is pretty much allergic to everything and has been to the hospital countless times near-death. It's scary and it's sad. And it's a cheap shot.

At the same time... it is just a cheap laugh in an otherwise relatively harmless kids movie. The movie does ultimately not show Peter and his buddies as flawless characters, and while the particular allergy issue isn't addressed, the movie does in a way reflect flaws of the character. It also shows that PG does still have meaning, in that there is some stuff in there that may be for parental guidance, as different people will react to it differently.

• Like 1