Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

On 9/19/2016 at 7:53 PM, Ozymandias said:

WB's DC movies are so terrible that I don't even need to see them to call them terrible.  I'm not sure what that means but its true.

I miss the days when I thought TDKR was a poor DC movie.   Now it looks like a DC masterpiece! 

On 9/20/2016 at 9:49 AM, Napoleon said:

I used to like The Incredible Hulk a lot. But I watched it recently again and yes, it's very forgettable.

Ugh...I think it is easily their biggest failure.   They got the casting completely wrong (weird for them) and somehow stuck with all the failed ideas from the TV show and the first Hulk movie.   I fully expected Marvel to understand that the Hulk should be a real character instead of creating a Bruce Banner movie with special guest appearance by a mute Hulk with zero personality.   But somehow they went with the TV show version.   I'm convinced Ike Perlmutter had something to do with that.   Someone must have told him the 70s TV show that never once cracked the top 25 in the ratings was "really popular".

Hopefully they fix the Hulk in the next Thor movie.   Time for him to be a real character for the very first time.

9 hours ago, 75live said:

Csp9MghUkAA214i.jpg

something tells me this isn't possible around here, but still a good graphic ;) 

That's pretty awesome.

• Like 1

It is funny how Star Wars Force Awakens is like the worst offender of everything  people say is wrong with Hollywood right  now but hey, it s Star Wars, so it gets a free pass from everyone.

I don't expect Star Wars fans to develop any kind of self awareness any time soon.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

It is funny how Star Wars Force Awakens is like the worst offender of everything  people say is wrong with Hollywood right  now but hey, it s Star Wars, so it gets a free pass from everyone.

I don't expect Star Wars fans to develop any kind of self awarneess any time soon.

What's weird is that after watching Rebels, I find myself quite a bit more excited about Star Wars, digging into the history and little plot points and such, but TFA still leaves me cold, even if I can find a lot of things in TFA to be exciting and interesting. I think it's because there's a way it could have been something that both acknowledged and felt true to the history of Star Wars while not enslaving itself to that history, but it really didn't try to be anything other than a nostalgia cannon.

What's fun though, if you watch the "theory about film music" video, is you see that Lucas himself was fueled by nostalgia. Not just the music, but also various other things. Kurosawa's an obvious one (plot taken from The Hidden Fortress, and all), but then you get into the classic science fictional concepts, like Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter stories and such. The thing is, he was using that nostalgia as fuel for his own creation, however derivative all those elements are, the made-up whole is something invigorating, if not exactly new.

But now, nearly forty years on, you get TFA, which is only fueled by the nostalgia of the original trilogy. So even if there are a few fresh elements, like a female and POC main characters, the actual execution feels like little more than regurgitation of the, well, delight that someone felt watching one of the OT films in the theater for the first time. And while that's momentarily good, it doesn't have that element of synthesis that was present before.

Lucas, for all his later career troubles, was still attempting to do something new with the prequel trilogy. He misstepped, sure, and needed someone to tell him no on occasion, but he was pretty strongly dedicated to expanding the world and creating new layered, context to it. So the PT very much felt like it was taking place somewhere different than the OT, except for the direct connection scenes on Tattooine. Naboo, Coruscant, Geonosis, and so forth were all different. But what do we have in TFA? A desert planet that is not Tattooine, a forest planet that is not Endor, and a snow planet that is not Hoth while also being a Death Star that is not the Death Star. Was there any particuarly story-driving reason that Jakku had to be an equally barren, sandy wasteland rather than, oh, a rugged mountain-scape of archeological adventuring a-la Machu Picchu?

So it's frustrating, but at the same time, there are all the non-movie things that are showcasing how good Star Wars can be. I'm becoming convinced that Ahsoka Tano is one of the greatest characters in the entire franchise, full of pathos and tragedy, but not mired in in. Some of the stuff with her in Rebels season 2 sent legit chills down my spine it's so good. Plus, man they do some great work with lightsabers. Part of me would be overjoyed if she actually showed up in one of the films, but part of me is like, no, I want her story to continue without a spoiler reveal.

But, to bring it back around, I don't think the problem is that Star Wars gets a free pass, I think it's that dedicated fans of pretty much any property are willfully blind to the faults in that property. Star Wars isn't unique in that regard, it's just bigger so the effect is magnified.

• Like 5

I was going to respond to the chart DMan7 posted but I decided it was not worth it because it was made for fun and not supposed to be accurate. But the Doomsday part still bothers me. Doomsday was actually pretty faithful to the comics. He starts without the bones because he's in the movie from his inception, but the bones grow as he gets attacked. I don't know what the fuck the person who made this image is talking about. People on the internet need to stop pretending they know the comics.

6 hours ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

When your own boss said this in public, you know what to do as a subordinate. 

http://deadline.com/2016/09/dc-comics-superheros-more-lightness-time-warner-ceo-jeff-bewkes-1201823990/

I'm not sure what you mean. There's nothing new about DC films becoming lighter, they were saying that about Justice League even before BVS opened.

That was always the plan. They first wanted to show how an alien like Superman would be received realistically in the World and that brings a lot of weight to the story. But once Superman is accepted by humans and the story transitions to he teaming up and becoming friends with other heroes, you can only go lighter.

The new thing about this event yesterday was actually the Time Warner CEO confirming BVS and SS performed as they hoped financially, that they were successful in launching this franchise and that the next DC films have potential to improve.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I'm not sure what you mean. There's nothing new about DC films becoming lighter, they were saying that about Justice League even before BVS opened.

That was always the plan. They first wanted to show how an alien like Superman would be received realistically in the World and that brings a lot of weight to the story. But once Superman is accepted by humans and the story transitions to he teaming up and becoming friends with other heroes, you can only go lighter.

The new thing about this event yesterday was actually the Time Warner CEO confirming BVS and SS performed as they hoped financially, that they were successful in launching this franchise and that the next DC films have potential to improve.

In a big corporation, when B (the boss of A) tells A to make a picture lighter without pointing the extent to which the picture should be lighted as it is quite impossible to define, A will make the picture 50% lighter. Even though C (the boss of B ) knows that A is trying to make the picture lighter, he still has to say to the investors that the company is making the picture lighter so as to make a strong statement together with B & A and reassure the investors' confidence. But, sometimes, unfortunately, for some strange reason, from the remark of C, B will feel that C wants to make the picture even lighter as the standard of how a picture should be lighted is different for B & C. As a result, B orders A to make the picture even lighter. Like 70% lighter.

In a big corporation as large as Warner Bros, such miscommunication is likely to happen more often than not.    

(Just so you know, I like BvS UE quite a lot thus I am extremely angry at the asinine decision of cutting 30 mins off it. That's why "I" was born in this forum.) 

Edited by WeneedtotalkaboutKevin
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

In a big corporation, when B (the boss of A) tells A to make a picture lighter without pointing the extent to which the picture should be lighted as it is quite impossible to define, A will make the picture 50% lighter. Even though C (the boss of B ) knows that A is trying to make the picture lighter, he still has to say to the investors that the company is making the picture lighter so as to make a strong statement together with B & A and reassure the investors' confidence. But, sometimes, unfortunately, for some strange reason, from the remark of C, B will feel that C wants to make the picture even lighter as the standard of how a picture should be lighted is different for B & C. As a result, B orders A to make the picture even lighter. Like 70% lighter.

In a big corporation as large as Warner Bros, such miscommunication is likely to happen more often than not.    

(Just so you know, I like BvS UE quite a lot thus I am extremely angry at the asinine decision of cutting 30 mins off it. That's why "I" was born in this forum.) 

Welcome to the boards :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Futurist said:

I don't expect Star Wars fans to develop any kind of self awareness any time soon.

Critics have a hard on for Star Wars. Rogue one could be the worse film of the year, but there is no way its going to be rotten. Star Wars fans are also a lot scarier than DC or Marvel fans.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, The Futurist said:

15 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

What's weird is that after watching Rebels, I find myself quite a bit more excited about Star Wars, digging into the history and little plot points and such, but TFA still leaves me cold, even if I can find a lot of things in TFA to be exciting and interesting. I think it's because there's a way it could have been something that both acknowledged and felt true to the history of Star Wars while not enslaving itself to that history, but it really didn't try to be anything other than a nostalgia cannon.

What's fun though, if you watch the "theory about film music" video, is you see that Lucas himself was fueled by nostalgia. Not just the music, but also various other things. Kurosawa's an obvious one (plot taken from The Hidden Fortress, and all), but then you get into the classic science fictional concepts, like Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter stories and such. The thing is, he was using that nostalgia as fuel for his own creation, however derivative all those elements are, the made-up whole is something invigorating, if not exactly new.

But now, nearly forty years on, you get TFA, which is only fueled by the nostalgia of the original trilogy. So even if there are a few fresh elements, like a female and POC main characters, the actual execution feels like little more than regurgitation of the, well, delight that someone felt watching one of the OT films in the theater for the first time. And while that's momentarily good, it doesn't have that element of synthesis that was present before.

Lucas, for all his later career troubles, was still attempting to do something new with the prequel trilogy. He misstepped, sure, and needed someone to tell him no on occasion, but he was pretty strongly dedicated to expanding the world and creating new layered, context to it. So the PT very much felt like it was taking place somewhere different than the OT, except for the direct connection scenes on Tattooine. Naboo, Coruscant, Geonosis, and so forth were all different. But what do we have in TFA? A desert planet that is not Tattooine, a forest planet that is not Endor, and a snow planet that is not Hoth while also being a Death Star that is not the Death Star. Was there any particuarly story-driving reason that Jakku had to be an equally barren, sandy wasteland rather than, oh, a rugged mountain-scape of archeological adventuring a-la Machu Picchu?

So it's frustrating, but at the same time, there are all the non-movie things that are showcasing how good Star Wars can be. I'm becoming convinced that Ahsoka Tano is one of the greatest characters in the entire franchise, full of pathos and tragedy, but not mired in in. Some of the stuff with her in Rebels season 2 sent legit chills down my spine it's so good. Plus, man they do some great work with lightsabers. Part of me would be overjoyed if she actually showed up in one of the films, but part of me is like, no, I want her story to continue without a spoiler reveal.

But, to bring it back around, I don't think the problem is that Star Wars gets a free pass, I think it's that dedicated fans of pretty much any property are willfully blind to the faults in that property. Star Wars isn't unique in that regard, it's just bigger so the effect is magnified.

And why can't you just accept that some people really like TFA, and that's the end of it? Personally, I don't care if it re-threads ANH. Originality is only a fraction of what makes something good. Something really original can be horrendously bad. Something unoriginal can be really well made.

Telling people they're close-minded for liking something they shouldn't... is pretty close-minded to me.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

And why can't you just accept that some people really like TFA, and that's the end of it? Personally, I don't care if it re-threads ANH. Originality is only a fraction of what makes something good. Something really original can be horrendously bad. Something unoriginal can be really well made.

Telling people they're close-minded for liking something they shouldn't... is pretty close-minded to me.

I am not sure that 's what I am saying.

You can love something and understand the arguments that criticize a movie.

Some arguments I hear from people who take digs at the MCU or a movie like Civil War are also 100% valid with Force Awakens but Star Wars' fanboys rarely take off their blinders.

It is really a pot meet kettle situation to me.

I think it s called irony too.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, RandomJC said:

Because it was popular...

Depends on what you mean by "popular".

A show that never once cracked the top 25 during its run...and only cracked the top 30 ONCE.    This was before cable TV when people had a million choices.  This was when there were 3 networks to watch....and the "popular" Hulk show couldn't even get into the top 30 most of the time.

That's why you get tepid box office from copying that horrible show.   The fan base for the Banner show guest starring a mute Hulk was very small.    If you want a franchise that is "popular" among a small group of people, the mute Hulk with no personality in a small role in a Banner movie is the way to go.   You can even say "the public doesn't like the Hulk" and make excuses...even though no one has ever put the real Hulk onscreen once.

Edited by Harpospoke

22 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Depends on what you mean by "popular".

A show that never once cracked the top 25 during its run...and only cracked the top 30 ONCE.    This was before cable TV when people had a million choices.  This was when there were 3 networks to watch....and the "popular" Hulk show couldn't even get into the top 30 most of the time.

That's why you get tepid box office from copying that horrible show.   The fan base for the Banner show guest starring a mute Hulk was very small.    If you want a franchise that is "popular" among a small group of people, the mute Hulk with no personality in a small role in a Banner movie is the way to go.   You can even say "the public doesn't like the Hulk" and make excuses...even though no one has ever put the real Hulk onscreen once.

Well, by Popular I mean that it ran for five for seasons, had several TV movies made after the show ended. It was popular enough that Marvel felt threatened that CBS would create spin-offs and immediately created a She-Hulk so that CBS couldn't have the rights to a female version of the Hulk. It pretty much put Lou Ferrigno into pop culture as The Hulk. The public LIKED that Hulk.

I get you don't like the mute Hulk, but that wasn't the problem with either Hulk movie, and everyone knows it. The public loves the Hulk, just ask anyone who watched the Avengers.

It doesn't matter if 'Rebirth' is a reboot or not. It's been a massive success and everyone is loving most of the comics they've put out so far.  Meanwhile, Civil War II is flopping and the new line of Inhumans and even Avengers, nobody cares.

That's what happens when you push aside marketable characters like the X-Men because they foolishly sold away their movie rights many years ago.

• Like 3

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

It doesn't matter if 'Rebirth' is a reboot or not. It's been a massive success and everyone is loving most of the comics they've put out so far.  Meanwhile, Civil War II is flopping and the new line of Inhumans and even Avengers, nobody cares.

That's what happens when you push aside marketable characters like the X-Men because they foolishly sold away their movie rights many years ago.

Such is the ebb and flow of comics.