Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Hod do you recognize someone who doesn't like or care for superhero movies ?

Their favorite superhero trilogy is the Dark Knight : best Trilogy Evah Bruh !

I love most superhero movies and do consider the Dark Knight my favorite superhero trilogy lol. I think there are enough comic book adaptations that people will gravitate to what they like. Fans of the MCU like their movies for what they are, as you stated. And fans of other superhero movie universes like those movies for what they are, as different as they are from the MCU. There shouldn't be one way to adapt comic books, variety is a good thing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

The MCU (& Sam Raimi maybe) is the only place in the world that truly understands what comics & superheroes are about, they just want to make you believe in these characters and these worlds exist without any of the following traps  & schticks that have been plaguing the genre for too long now :

1. No transcending bullshit : TDK's Trilogy were Michael Mann's worship movies I am sorry to announce, superheroe movies they were not, barely maybe.

Hod do you recognize someone who doesn't like or care for superhero movies ?

Their favorite superhero trilogy is the Dark Knight : best Trilogy Evah Bruh !

2. No post modernism crap : Love You Still Zacky.

3. No lame grit for dudebros : Deadpool & Logan can buttfuck each other or slit each other throats for all I care.

The MCU is just pure, a cynicism free zone, kids' dreams & visions put on celluloid with moving pictures & sound with a little help from charismatic actors & dazzling VFX and spectacle.

And visionary directors.

And, gasp !, HUMOR & Joie de Vivre !

:ca:

I think you can do it well either way.   Most don't of course.   I resent the idea that "dark is better".   It can be good or bad...."Dark Superman" pretty much sucks.    Logan works well in the "dark" category while Deadpool excels in the "irreverent" category.

WW may have taught DC that you don't make every character "dark"...but they still need to keep that tone with Batman.   Just like Dark Superman sucked, "Goofy Batman" sucked too.

Marvel seems to get it.   The Cap and Hulk movies were more serious while the Spider-Man and Ant-Man movies weren't taking themselves so serious that it got eye rolling.   Gotta take it on a character by character basis.

2 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

And I'd argue that the MCU, a post Wonder Woman DCEU (hopefully), Raimi's Spidey and yes, even the TDK trilogy and Deadpool are actual films that UNDERSTAND what these characters are and instead of trying to deconstruct or reinvent, actually making an effort into translating what these characters are and what makes them tick. My understanding is that WB and Snyder got it wrong what Nolan did with Batman. He didn't deconstruct the character and it's world, he distillate it. Yes, through a Michael Mann's heavily influenced lens, but not a deconstruction at all. The way I see it, other than TDK trilogy, the best superhero films transcend the genre by actually not transcending it and believing the genre itself, believing and understanding what these characters are actually about.

I like it a lot better when a SH movie elevates a genre rather than "transcends" it.   The latter implies you are ashamed to be a part of the genre.   And if a director doesn't want to be a part of the SH genre he should do something else.   There is nothing inferior about the SH genre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Robertman2 Floats Too said:

Honestly I'd much rather watch bad goofy Batman than bad grimdark Batman

I'd rather watch great takes on Batman, goofy and/or grimdark, as long as it honors what the character is all about. I think Matt Reeves will be able to deliver that, I just hope that if Affleck is truly out, that Justice League is good enough to justify making the new Batman set in the DCEU. I don't want the DC shared universe to end, I want it to get better. Wonder Woman was a major step ahead for that, I'm not reading stuff that makes me confident about Justice League at the moment, but at same period of time Wonder Woman had some bad buzz around it too.

Setting Wonder Woman in Word War I was a huge screenwriting copout.

It proves Warner & DC haven't figured how to sell an hopeful, inspiring & positive superhero that confronts or lives in modern times since 1978.

And It seems writing block will continue as rumor says WWII will be set not in present day too.

Unless Justice League surprises (NOT!) and makes Wondy the Iron Lady of the DCEU.

Only Marvel managed to feature a positive & inspiring, kinda naive but pure superhero in a movie set in modern times that always sees what s good in people with Captain America (not the first movie obviously).

Even if I Understand how Superman and Cap are different, they also have a lot in common IMO.

Will DC crack the code one day ?

Place your bets.

Edited by The Futurist

15 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Setting Wonder Woman in Word War I was a huge screenwriting copout.

It proves Warner & DC haven't figured how to sell an hopeful, inspiring & positive superhero that confronts or lives in modern times since 1978.

And It seems writing block will continue as rumor says WWII will be set not in present day too.

Unless Justice League surprises (NOT!) and makes Wondy the Iron Lady of the DCEU.

Only Marvel managed to feature a positive & inspiring, kinda naive but pure superhero in a movie set in modern times that always sees what s good in people with Captain America (not the first movie obviously).

Even if I Understand how Superman and Cap are different, they also have a lot in common IMO.

Place your bets.

It's almost like you're not even trying anymore, this is so bad. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, cax16 said:

It's almost like you're not even trying anymore, this is so bad. 

@The Futurist's trollrants used to be funny in a WTF kind of way. Now they are just...dull, like his flimsy attempts at wit.

But hey, he is still butthurt over Passengers'  (and now mother!' s) failure.

If I were a Jlaw stan I'd be mad too. :D 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Place your bets.

Wonder Woman outgrossing every single one of the MCU jokes movies (except The Avengers 1 and 2) and getting a better multiplier/better legs than ALL MCU films says they did crack the code. 

But carry on, dear... :rofl:

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

I don't really know where to bring this up, so this thread will do: I know WB has the rights to the LOTR books, including the appendix. In the appendix there is stuff about what happened after the events in LOTR, how Aragorn's Kingdom expanded, how he battled in the East, how Arwen died (I think). Couldn't WB from a legal standpoint adapt this? Of course there is a lot of filling up to do, but still. They invented some things for The Hobbit. Couldn't they do the same here?

Edited by James

Doing a character like Wondy & Super is just super hard to write set in modern times, they failed both times with Superman Returns and Man of Steel.

The guy who wrote Wondy & the DC team knew that perfectly.

It s just super hard to do.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2017 at 4:24 PM, a2knet said:
MoreCurrent Hollywood schedule has #WonderWoman2 & #StarWars #EpisodeIX opening just 1 week apart in DEC 2019. Which are you more excited for?
1,152 votesFinal results

One will move for sure, it makes no sense to WW to go up against SW.

I think WB will be smart and just move WW up a few weeks since SW already had that slot reserve before. I would hate to see either one affected by another.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

...Chris Evans can't act.

Are you kidding?

He is the second coming of Laurence Olivier, dude. :rofl:

At the Oscars he was robbed for his razor-sharp, nuanced, deeply transformative work in Captain America: Civil War;) 

And he is a brilliant comic genius (check out Not Another Teen Movie and What's Your Number ).   

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Subzero said:

One will move for sure, it makes no sense to WW to go up against SW.

I think WB will be smart and just move WW up a few weeks since SW already had that slot reserve before. I would hate to see either one affected by another.

One of them will move. There's no way they keep the 2 most anticipated movies of the year so close to each other. SW has the advantage now, but who knows how episode 8 and Han Solo will turn out?

• Haha 2