Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

3 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Black Panther butchers blockbuster filmmaking? Lol The only valid criticism I've heard and the only thing the haters like to harp on is the CGI in the final battle. There's much more to this movie and blockbuster filmmaking than that. 

It's absolutely terrible when it comes to action sequences as a whole. There is almost no sense of geography, involves a lot of quick cuts, and a lot of the times the scale is completely lost (the final battle between neighbouring cities felt like some tiny quarrel instead of some big ass battle). The South Korea chase sequence is also terribly lit. The action sequences, if you ask me were never the MCU's strength (the GOTG movies, The Avengers, and Winter Soldier are the only MCU movies I've seen actually do the action do really well).

And nah, I don't need any movie to start a deep, intellectual conversation. Smarter to me simply means a more thoughtful narrative, one that delves deeper into its characters and their motivations. 

You just proved my point. That's a pretentious af way of saying a good script.

• ...wtf 1

5 hours ago, HeadShot said:

why is your pretentious ass sitting here acting like blockbusters can't be classics. Indiana Jones, Back to the future etc.  Just because a movie isn't completely devoid from any color or fun doesn't mean that it won't be considered a classic. MCU is one of the greatest achievements in cinema history of all time. 

The funny thing about this post is that you had to go back 30 years because you weren't confident enough to list an MCU movie and not get laughed out of the room.  Point validated. 

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

The funny thing about this post is that you had to go back 30 years because you weren't confident enough to list an MCU movie and not get laughed out of the room.  Point validated. 

All the MCU movies were released far to recently to be considered classics. Also I was arguing against your point that blockbusters can't be classics. So no YOUR tragic take wasn't validated anywhere but in that delusional head of yours. 

2 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

All the MCU movies were released far to recently to be considered classics. Also I was arguing against your point that blockbusters can't be classics. So no YOUR tragic take wasn't validated anywhere but in that delusional head of yours. 

I never said blockbusters can't be classics. So you actually have no real point. Go back and read my posts, nowhere does it say blockbusters can't be... I said Feige isn't interested in striving for something outside of popcorn action. Which is true.  I also said he doesn't have to,  he's all about making as much money for Disney as possible and that's fine for him.   Some people are about money and others are about money but also the art. 

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

I never said blockbusters can't be classics. So you actually have no real point. Go back and read my posts, nowhere does it say blockbusters can't be... I said Feige isn't interested in striving for something outside of popcorn action. Which is true.  I also said he doesn't have to,  he's all about making as much money for Disney as possible and that's fine for him.   Some people are about money and others are about money but also the art. 

You said that MCU doesn't strive for more than Popcorn fun hence why they won't make a classic movie. Which is a redundant comment since plenty of classic blockbusters were nothing more than just that.  Also art is subjective. Eg. Infinity War and its fight scenes is ART to me and many other people - just like watching paint dry aka. The Joker is art to you. 

3 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

As for MCU movies which will be future classics

Iron Man

Black Panther

Infinity War

End Game

I agree with all of those. I would also suggest that CA: First Avenger and CA: Winter Soldier could be considered classic action films.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's absolutely terrible when it comes to action sequences as a whole. There is almost no sense of geography, involves a lot of quick cuts, and a lot of the times the scale is completely lost (the final battle between neighbouring cities felt like some tiny quarrel instead of some big ass battle). The South Korea chase sequence is also terribly lit. The action sequences, if you ask me were never the MCU's strength (the GOTG movies, The Avengers, and Winter Soldier are the only MCU movies I've seen actually do the action do really well).

You just proved my point. That's a pretentious af way of saying a good script.

Sorry but this is all nonsense. The South Korea chase scene is a standout in the movie. It was not terribly lit. 

So if I just said good script it wouldn't be pretentious? Lol Please. 

12 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

You said that MCU doesn't strive for more than Popcorn fun hence why they won't make a classic movie. Which is a redundant comment since plenty of classic blockbusters were nothing more than just that.  Also art is subjective. Eg. Infinity War and its fight scenes is ART to me and many other people - just like watching paint dry aka. The Joker is art to you. 

Say no more.  If anything more than popcorn for you is equivalent to "watching paint dry" then we don't need to carry on this conversation further..   you are uncomfortable when a movie addresses social issues.  I can enjoy a good popcorn movie just as much as anyone but I can also enjoy "watching paint dry"...   as you put it. 

Gotg1 is also going down as a classic, quite confident. Avengers 2012, even though I personally don’t have it in the upper echelons anymore. The other 15 won’t, but 5-8 out of 23 really isn’t a bad hit rate considering what a small % of overall movies (or blockbusters) become classics.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Gotg1 is also going down as a classic, quite confident. Avengers 2012, even though I personally don’t have it in the upper echelons anymore. The other 15 won’t, but 5-8 out of 23 really isn’t a bad hit rate considering what a small % of overall movies (or blockbusters) become classics.

Yes, Guardians of the Galaxy 1 is definitely a classic. Just a fun movie all around.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Sorry but this is all nonsense. The South Korea chase scene is a standout in the movie. It was not terribly lit. 

I legit can't find any difference between the chase scene in South Korea chase scene and the motobike chase scene in Venom. 

So if I just said good script it wouldn't be pretentious? Lol Please. 

Yeah.

• Haha 1

The first Iron Man is no different than the first Spider-Man with Tobey.  It will be remembered fondly..  but it's not going to be no Back to the Future lol. 

The problem with something like Infinity War,  it's a great movie but for context people 20 years from now will have to watch 20 other movies to fully grasp what's going on. 

55 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I said Feige isn't interested in striving for something outside of popcorn action.

Hollywood blockbuster are usually all about high emotions driven not really actions and the MCU is a really good example of that, that why someone pointed out that action is far from their forte and it show in the director choice, actor choice, shooting schedule and so on, action is far from a priority, we are far from Jackie Chan Hong-Kong cinema or even Mission Impossible. The Raid and John Wick series is striving for popcorn action, Feige output is much more ambitious than that imo.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Hollywood blockbuster are usually all about high emotions driven not really actions and the MCU is a really good example of that, that why someone pointed out that action is far from their forte and it show in the director choice, actor choice, shooting schedule and so on, action is far from a priority, we are far from Jackie Chan Hong-Kong cinema or even Mission Impossible. The Raid and John Wick series is striving for popcorn action, Feige output is much more ambitious than that imo.

I would agree if Marvel was more consistent with delivering character driven movies. Black Panther, the GOTG movies (also have some of the best action in the whole franchise), pretty much all the phase 1 movies (except The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2), and Endgame (when it came to just the phase 1 Avengers characters) have done a good job at delivering character driven stuff while the others feel more plot driven with some extremely boring action thrown in (Winter Soldier being the only plot driven movie with good action imo). Also recent American action movies like Mad Max Fury Road, Edge of Tomorrow, Snowpiercer show that you can make movies that are both action driven and character driven at the same time. I would even say the last Mission Impossible movie was more character driven than you are letting on. I wouldn't say what Feige is trying to do with each movie is ambitious (no arguing what he's doing with the whole universe is ambitious as hell but I'm talking about the individual movies). I would say trying to do both great action and great characters at the same time and balance both is much more ambitious.

Edited by lorddemaxus

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I wouldn't say what Feige is trying to do with each movie is ambitious

Maybe not all of them, but an Infinity War/EndGame is much more ambitious narratively than an action movie.

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I would agree if Marvel was more consistent with delivering character driven movies.

Emotions does not mean character driven (big music, jump scare, jokes for example are going for big emotions) I am not sure what the oppositions you are seeing with what I said.

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Maybe not all of them, but an Infinity War/EndGame is much more ambitious narratively than an action movie.

I really wouldn't say so. They did a good job at handling multiple characters I guess but Infinity War was the movie going from one action scene to another action scene. I found it repetitive tbh and one of the reasons I don't like the movie. Even the way Thanos was handled was nowhere near as good as the way Killmonger was handled (Thanos never really get a scene like the Astral plane sequence for Killmonger in Black Panther). Endgame was a lot more ambitious but like I said, my biggest qualm was the fact that only the phase 1 characters (especially the main trio) got any sort of development. Black Widow, Hulk, and Hawkeye got some too I guess. Like I think it would have made no difference if none of the Phase 2 or Phase 3 characters hadn't had films before Infinity War for me personally (because none of the arcs they had in those films carried on in Infinity War or Endgame). I would still say that the first Avengers is still their most ambitious film to date.

Emotions does not mean character driven (big music, jump scare, jokes for example are going for big emotions) I am not sure what the oppositions you are seeing with what I said.

So what you mean is texture? Because texture (the emotional beats or moments) don't make movies ambitious. At that point we should be calling someone like JJ Abrams one of the most ambitious filmmakers working right now (that dude is also about the texture but never tries looking at the text or subtext).

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

So what you mean is texture? Because texture (the emotional beats or moments) don't make movies ambitious. At that point we should be calling someone like JJ Abrams one of the most ambitious filmmakers working right now (that dude is also about the texture but never tries looking at the text or subtext).

Agree (and arguably it make it less ambitious that aiming for big emotions), they tend to aim for a series of emotional beat more than anything, action is second, in modern musical/dancing, muscial and dancing is second and so on. Marvel being an ultimate version of that.

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I really wouldn't say so.

Well if we take a Fury Road or The Raid 1-2 has example of the best action movie of this century, I think it is almost objectively true that Avengers 3 part 1-2 was more narratively ambitious.