the freak and deranged is celebrated

In a clown world, clowns are heroes.

Makes sense.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

On 8/28/2019 at 3:55 PM, VenomXXR said:

Not bad for opening weekend. 

Tbh 1B+ OW is just 18 years or so away given normal trends (not sure if normal trends will hold, streaming might kill cinema if nukes don’t). Not too far fetched to imagine an MCU movie being first there.    

And 500 should happen mid-late 2020s. Probably more likely than not to be MCU.

Edited by Thanos Legion

Lord if Snyder was enough to get DC fans this insane for six years in a row Joker getting any accolades is going to make them utterly insufferable. Just when the DC fandoms "we watch REAL MOVIES FOR ADULTS" shit had finally died down for a bit. You didn't get any of this shit from the Marvel crowd when Black Panther got a Best Picture nomination.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeadShot said:

Joker isn't going to smash the boxoffice LOL. The GP won't care for it's try hard, art house, concept. . The Nolan movies were huge so expect the DC fans to remain humbled. 

LOL. I can almost taste the salt...Some MCU shills triggered by Joker praise...Shows how insecure some of them are.How dare WB not follow the lame and tired MCU formula...give the rights to Disney....:sweat:

• Like 2

If I wanted to see the story of a sad white guy who wants to kill people all I have to do is live in America and turn on the news. It's not exactly as unique a narrative as everyone is claiming. Even the biggest raves point out how it's just Taxi Driver and King of Comedy.

Plus the alt right/anti-SJW movement has already starting latching to this movie like they did Alita 

Edited by SpiderByte

57 minutes ago, Hades said:

LOL. I can almost taste the salt...Some MCU shills triggered by Joker praise...Shows how insecure some of them are.How dare WB not follow the lame and tired MCU formula...give the rights to Disney....:sweat:

Lmfao DC Stans have been insecure since 2013. That's why anything going wrong is now a vast conspiracy of Marvel buying critics and influence (except for when a DC film gets good reviews, at which point the narrative magically vanishes till their next critical flop). It's why DC fans constructed a narrative that Geoff Johns somehow sabotaged a franchise for a company he works for to benefit Marvel, who he does not work for and receives no benefit from their success.

Edited by SpiderByte

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

If I wanted to see the story of a sad white guy who wants to kill people all I have to do is live in America and turn on the news. It's not exactly as unique a narrative as everyone is claiming. Even the biggest raves point out how it's just Taxi Driver and King of Comedy.

I would argue that a major part of its appeal is that you don’t see very many studio films of that nature these days. In an age where VFX driven franchise films are dominating the market, a movie like Joker almost seems like an anomaly. I enjoy superhero movies as much as anyone, but I’m interested in Joker precisely because it’s a CBM that promises to be different from all the other CBMs these days. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I would argue that a major part of its appeal is that you don’t see very many studio films of that nature these days. In an age where VFX driven franchise films are dominating the market, a movie like Joker almost seems like an anomaly. I enjoy superhero movies as much as anyone, but I’m interested in Joker precisely because it’s a CBM that promises to be different from all the other CBMs these days. 

"Sad white guy gets mad at the world" is the plot of so many movies so it's not a rarity in any way. It's not even a rarity for superhero stuff, it's literally the origin for the Punisher.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • ...wtf 1

29 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

"Sad white guy gets mad at the world" is the plot of so many movies so it's not a rarity in any way. It's not even a rarity for superhero stuff, it's literally the origin for the Punisher.

I certainly didn’t say it’s never been done before. I’m just saying that in the current age we live in, the idea of a major studio film that isn’t a big CGI extravaganza is undoubtably something that many people would be enamored by. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I certainly didn’t say it’s never been done before. I’m just saying that in the current age we live in, the idea of a major studio film that isn’t a big CGI extravaganza is undoubtably something that many people would be enamored by. 

I guess if you haven't seen, well, either Jordan Peele movie or any of the Conjuring-verse movies

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I guess if you haven't seen, well, either Jordan Peele movie or any of the Conjuring-verse movies

The Conjuring franchise consists of your typical jump-scare filled horror movies. Sure, they’re different from superhero movies, but they’re hardly experimental.

As for Jordan Peele’s films, those are certainly different, and there is a lot to talk about with them, but they hardly represent the kinds of movies that are currently dominating the market. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hades said:

You mean the same formula that WB tried to desperately replicate and failed? They are throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks. And there is no salt in my post. Joker's praise doesn't bother me. Marvel has more praised movies like eg. Best Picture Nominated Black Panther. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

It's a story about an incel guy in bad clown make up. Don't even think we can call it a CBM. If it was about a SH then you'd have a point. I'd say Logan is still GOAT.

• Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

It's a story about an incel guy in bad clown make up. Don't even think we can call it a CBM. If it was about a SH then you'd have a point. I'd say Logan is still GOAT.

An incel guy? What is this garbage?

• Like 1