grim22

Ocean's Eight | June 8, 2018 | WB | Gary Ross directing, Bullock, Blanchett, Hathaway, Rihanna, Bonham Carter, Kaling, Paulson and Awkwafina. Social Media Embargo up

WB would be thrilled if O8 does over $40-45m OW, even $50m could be possible if reviews are strong. 

It's unlikely but it'd be cool to see Tess in either Ocean's 8 as a cameo or joining Debbie and the gang in Ocean's 9. 

Edited by Jonwo

Please don't stone me, but just not feeling this. Comes off as low energy, uncharasmatic, and everyone looks bored, which is ridiculous with this cast. Seems like a lot of hacking cameras logistics and slyly walking around. I'm sure this'll be a good hit by default, but it's just not doing it for me. Needs more personality other than the trailer music.

I'm also having a very hard time believing the Met has the most sophisticated security in the world. That line really sticks out, and it's stupid.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jandrew said:

Please don't stone me, but just not feeling this. Comes off as low energy, uncharasmatic, and everyone looks bored, which is ridiculous with this cast. Seems like a lot of hacking cameras logistics and slyly walking around. I'm sure this'll be a good hit by default, but it's just not doing it for me. Needs more personality other than the trailer music.

I'm also having a very hard time believing the Met has the most sophisticated security in the world. That line really sticks out, and it's stupid.

I feel exactly the same way. At least from what ive seen in the trailers.  But apparently the movie tested good

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jandrew said:

It's not just the Met's security!  (A quick Google search comes up with only a Slate.com article saying that the Met doesn't discuss specifics, only that they do have armed guards, consent surveillance, etc.)  Nearly all of the jewelry is rented and comes with its own bodyguard.  You also have the event security.

I am not throwing stones.  I actually think the different reactions to the Met Gala is fascinating.  I also think some met be underselling the HYPE of this event.  Or maybe the trailer is, and they need to do a better trailer.

This is the Met Gala:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jandrew said:

Nothing is a hit by default.

That is a ridiculous notion: "there is no competition, nothing aimed at this audience, nothing that directly impacts this opening, etc., therefore, moviegoers will pay their hard-earned money to watch a film that has no appeal to them, only because...well because there is nothing else."  Nope, that is not how hit movies work. When people say stuff like "this will be a hit by deafult" what they really mean is "this movie has no appeal to me, but if it becomes a hit, it certainly cannot be because people like it, right? No way people like this."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Except for those stars wars and SH movies that sell a ridiculous amount of ticket before anyone even seen the movie or have any clue if it is any good, that get really close to hit by default.

That said if that rumored price tag is has low has those rumored 70-75m, it is really close to that outside of those.

8 minutes ago, StevenG said:

That is a ridiculous notion: "there is no competition, nothing aimed at this audience, nothing that directly impacts this opening, etc., therefore, moviegoers will pay their hard-earned money to watch a film that has no appeal to them, only because...well because there is nothing else."  Nope, that is not how hit movies work. When people say stuff like "this will be a hit by deafult" what they really mean is "this movie has no appeal to me, but if it becomes a hit, it certainly cannot be because people like it, right? No way people like this."

Calm down.

opening against the third weekend of Solo: Star Wars.

should have the second largest amount of total screens for a film that weekend.

The following two weeks contain The Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World.  

Ocean's Eight should challenge Solo for #1, and 35m + OW should get Ocean's Eight to 100m domestic.  

If Solo makes 50M in weekend #3, perhaps Ocean's Eight matches the 50m.

On 24/04/2018 at 2:31 AM, Thematrixfilm said:

opening against the third weekend of Solo: Star Wars.

should have the second largest amount of total screens for a film that weekend.

The following two weeks contain The Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World.  

Ocean's Eight should challenge Solo for #1, and 35m + OW should get Ocean's Eight to 100m domestic.  

If Solo makes 50M in weekend #3, perhaps Ocean's Eight matches the 50m.

I think Ocean's 8 could do $45-50m OW, I have a feeling it'll be WB's biggest hit of the summer. 

• Like 1

Ocean's 8 will probably be WB's most successful one this summer.  Meg has roughly twice the production budget.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Warner_Bros._films#Upcoming

Release dateTitleNotes

May 11, 2018 Life of the Party distribution only; produced by New Line Cinema and On the Day Productions[12]

June 8, 2018 Ocean's 8 co-production with Village Roadshow Pictures, Smokehouse Pictures, and Larger Than Life Productions[12]

June 15, 2018 Tag distribution only; produced by New Line Cinema and Broken Road Productions[12]

July 27, 2018 Teen Titans Go! To the Movies [23][24][25][26]co-production with Cartoon Network and DC Entertainment

August 10, 2018 The Meg co-production with Gravity Pictures, Flagship Entertainment, Apelles Entertainment, Di Bonaventura Pictures, and Maeday Productions[27]

August 17, 2018 Crazy Rich Asians co-production with Color Force and Ivanhoe Pictures[12]

September 7, 2018 The Nun co-production with New Line Cinema[28]

September 28, 2018 Smallfoot co-production with Warner Animation Group and Zaftig Film[12]