WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg44): Spectre 73 | Peanuts 45 | Martian 9.3 | Goosebumps 6.9 | Spies 6.09 | Important forum announcement in first post.

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

That was Goldeneye which did almost triple LTK.   $34,667,015  to $106,429,941 which then pretty much re-established the base in terms of admissions in the US until Skyfall.

Per BOM estimated admissions:

LTK: 8.7m

GE:  24.4m

TND: 26.9m

TWINE: 24.8m

DAD: 27.6m

CR: 25.4m

QOS: 23.5m

Skyfall: 37.8m

Some Bond box office performances were once inexplicable. A film like Moonraker was a huge hit while the far superior movie which followed it was much more modest. And while hailed by most as one of the worst Bond films, A View to a Kill made around 50% more than the welcome change of pace film, Licence to Kill, which almost killed the franchise. I'm happy Bond is much more predictable these days. 

7 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Fight Club is the best example in the Internet era. Can't really think of anything in the 2000's that has pulled off a similar modern classic status after very mixed reception starting out.  

Big Lebowski probably deserves a mention in this regard. It got good reviews upon release but the subsequent internet cult is where it really came alive - to such an extent that even the Coens don't really get it.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, DarthArachnid!™ said:

Some Bond box office performances were once inexplicable. A film like Moonraker was a huge hit while the far superior movie which followed it was much more modest. And while hailed by most as one of the worst Bond films, A View to a Kill made around 50% more than the welcome change of pace film, Licence to Kill, which almost killed the franchise. I'm happy Bond is much more predictable these days. 

Not that inexplicable.  Moonraker came on the heels of a re-energized Bond courtesy of TSWLM and on the heels of space mania with Star Wars.  It was globetrotting with spectacular sets and some top notch action (the parachute and cable cars fight) in addition to all the OTT silliness.  FYEO was more downbeat and while it was still globetrotting it wasn't nearly as spectacular looking.     Regarding AVTAK, it very much showed the audience becoming wearywith Bond becoming Moore's lowest US grosser since TMWTGG.  Dalton never captured the US audience back even with the very good Living Daylights which sold about as many tickets as AVTAK and LTK was pretty much DOA.  It was too dark, too violent and frankly kind of cheap looking compared to the Bonds before and after it.  Some love it, but I dislike it.

2 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

So did Tele actually say which half-hour of Fellowship he despises?

He has been spending too much time with Gopher.  He clearly hates movies now.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Girlfriend and I saw it this morning. Easily the worst of the Craig tenure (and I'm the guy who defends the Hell outta Quantum of Solace!)

Hey did you do a winter prediction podcast for Movie Moan?

Edited by DAR

10 hours ago, DAR said:

Hey did you do a winter prediction podcast for Movie Moan?

Fraid not. 

Phil and I both moved to different parts of the world and just never found the time to do a fall show. Had we done one (and Shawn can vouch since I've been saying this for months), I predicted Spectre to fall considerably short of Skyfall and Peanuts to be a monster.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Fraid not. 

Phil and I both moved to different parts of the world and just never found the time to do a fall show. Had we done one (and Shawn can vouch since I've been saying this for months), I predicted Spectre to fall considerably short of Skyfall and Peanuts to be a monster.

Ok thanks.

1 minute ago, Bond Bug said:

Are you saying the methodology used by CinemaScore to gauge audience reaction is flawed? Or are you saying audience reaction doesn't mean anything?

Of course audience reaction matters, if a movie has good WOM that helps the box office. But i think CS is pretty useless unless it's very good (A+) or very bad (C or worse). If a franchise movie comes out the first people who go to the cinema are the fans, so the CS will be good unless the film is garbage.

• Like 1