kayumanggi

FIRST MAN | 10.12.18 | Universal | Damien Chazelle | Ryan Gosling | Neil Armstrong biopic

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It is surprising and maybe counter intuive, one would think those would work more often, but like the better Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, the Edgar Wright comedy, they often are thought to sales to the general audience.

Has for Gosling being a good draw, jury is still kind of out, 10 movie not making 10m domestic in itself is not necessarily an issue (depend of the product and marketing effort), but some of those were very well received and with somewhat to good distributor like Blue Valentine, Lars and the Real Girl, Star was Fox and adter the notebook.

But he had really good movies, with a good distribution effort that failed to do what many expected, BR/Nice Guys/Drive that was turned into an wide release with a giant marketing budget (maybe a mistake too..), had a 92% RT score, was loved at Canne and TIFF, had a good supporting cast with Craston/Hendricks ridding mega tv success around that time.

He had many very leggy success too in co-leads, so he can definitely bring something.

I don't think anyone is saying he's not great and he's not a part of great movies. He absolutely is all of those things.

Gosling will never quite reach superstar level (at least as much as possible in this day and age when starpower has become a thing of the past) simply because he's uninterested in embracing the Hollywood lifestyle. I remember the reports that he turned down the title of People's Sexiest Man Alive around the time he was on that banner Blue Valentine/Crazy Stupid Love/Drive/The Ides of March run. It's clearly more about quality than quantity with him. Same with Tom Hardy (even though Venom is shaping up to be his "the paycheck was too good to turn down" outlier).

11 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Ask RDJ.

I will text RDJ if he know how much Gosling made on BR, La la land, what is package on First Man, etc... are and what would is upfront salary/ceiling if he get in front of green screen.

It is not like he didn't achieve some 8 figures compensation in the very recent past. Not sure if it would be wise to spend a lot on him in an big action type movie.

Edited by Barnack

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Gosling will never quite reach superstar level (at least as much as possible in this day and age when starpower has become a thing of the past) simply because he's uninterested in embracing the Hollywood lifestyle. I remember the reports that he turned down the title of People's Sexiest Man Alive around the time he was on that banner Blue Valentine/Crazy Stupid Love/Drive/The Ides of March run. It's clearly more about quality than quantity with him. Same with Tom Hardy (even though Venom is shaping up to be his "the paycheck was too good to turn down" outlier).

It is typical fake leftist humility.

You don't have Ryan Gosling s body if you don't want to show it off.

Edited by KeepItU25071906
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown

I edited my post and suggested QT too before erasing it because Pulp Filction reached such a high that Jackie Brown was seen somewhat  as a letdown  think.

15 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I edited my post and suggested QT too before erasing it because Pulp Filction reached such a high that Jackie Brown was seen somewhat  as a letdown  think.

Pretty please can we ignore Insomnia and talk about the ridiculous high quality of Nolan's entire Memento/Batman/Prestige/Batman/Inception/Batman/Interstellar/Dunkirk career?

2 minutes ago, BugsBunny said:

Pretty please can we ignore Insomnia and talk about the ridiculous high quality of Nolan's entire Memento/Batman/Prestige/Batman/Inception/Batman/Interstellar/Dunkirk career?

Wow just looked - Metacritic didn't love Prestige. To me it's an endlessly re-watchable classic. 

Edited by BugsBunny
  • Like 1