kayumanggi

FIRST MAN | 10.12.18 | Universal | Damien Chazelle | Ryan Gosling | Neil Armstrong biopic

Hmm... the jury's still out on whether Ryan Gosling's Neil Armstrong will be better than Kirk Lazarus's. 

Seriously, though, I saw the trailer during one of the breaks in the game tonight, and every guy in the room - most of whom were in their 50s - said they definitely wanted to see it. Personally, I'm still really surprised to see Chazelle go for something so radically different from his last two films, but I hold out hope that this one could be a white-knuckler in the vein of Apollo 13.

• Like 1

Also to note on how much IMAX is in the film, IMAX are saying "special sequence shot with IMAX cameras" and the trailer says "select scenes". Looks like, from what I hear

the opening scene (the test flight we see) and - I think - the *entire* mission itself will be IMAX. I know for sure they had IMAX cameras out when shooting on Cape Canaveral/Kennedy Space Center.

Need to download the ProRes version to see which shots here are IMAX.

Also, Spielberg is exec producing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Also to note on how much IMAX is in the film, IMAX are saying "special sequence shot with IMAX cameras" and the trailer says "select scenes". Looks like, from what I hear

Hide contents

the opening scene (the test flight we see) and - I think - the *entire* mission itself will be IMAX. I know for sure they had IMAX cameras out when shooting on Cape Canaveral/Kennedy Space Center.

Need to download the ProRes version to see which shots here are IMAX.

Also, Spielberg is exec producing.

Neat. I do hope that the sequences shot in IMAX are fully shot in IMAX. I hate it when films use IMAX in a scene but have the shots split up among shots of a different ratio.

Like in The Dark Knight or Dunkirk, where the screen edges keep changing every few seconds, because they mix in shots from IMAX and regular. I may be in the minority but I find it very jarring and pretty distracting when the borders keep moving.

It would not be so bad if entire segments of the film were IMAX, only switching back and forth a few times.

8 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Hmm... the jury's still out on whether Ryan Gosling's Neil Armstrong will be better than Kirk Lazarus's. 

Seriously, though, I saw the trailer during one of the breaks in the game tonight, and every guy in the room - most of whom were in their 50s - said they definitely wanted to see it. Personally, I'm still really surprised to see Chazelle go for something so radically different from his last two films, but I hold out hope that this one could be a white-knuckler in the vein of Apollo 13.

Apollo 13 has the advantage of being an true to life white knuckler.  There's drama in the first trip to the moon but logistically it never went off the rails like Apollo 13.

Speaking of space movies - with the recent death on Thomas Wolfe I hope the excellent The Right Stuff gets some specialty theatrical and TV play and  gains more appreciation

I mean dramatically it makes little sense for this to focus on anything other than Armstrong's state of mind under the pressure of the mission. It should be about how he and everyone else deal with being a part of the event of this magnitude. Hard to believe the actual movie is gonna try to draw suspense out of whether he makes it to the moon or not. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Webslinger said:

still really surprised to see Chazelle go for something so radically different from his last two films

Does it tho? Like LLL and Whiplash, this seems to be about an individual seeking greatness and sense of achievement. going against the odds to reach a goal, sacrificing stuff in order to do that.

23 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I mean dramatically it makes little sense for this to focus on anything other than Armstrong's state of mind under the pressure of the mission. It should be about how he and everyone else deal with being a part of the event of this magnitude. Hard to believe the actual movie is gonna try to draw suspense out of whether he makes it to the moon or not. 

To be fair, I’ve been waiting to know if he made it to the Moon or not for 50 years!  Was it faked?  Did he make it? Was he replaced with a moon alien?

Don’t believe the mainstream mediasz!!1!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

It looks like it's not just the moon mission. There's definitely some earlier missions in there and then there's the test crash of the flying bed thing:

I think if you do it right, you can make anything released to space travel pretty intense. Lots of little things did go wrong during the moon landing which I imagine most of the GA weren't aware of so that should be able to spice things up.

• Like 2

Rewatched the trailer. Seems to have different four 'missions' in it;

- X-15 flight

Spoiler

During his sixth X-15 flight on April 20, 1962, when Armstrong was testing the MH-96 control system, he flew to a height of over 207,000 feet (63 km) (the highest he flew before Gemini 8). He held up the aircraft nose for too long during its descent to demonstrate the MH-96's g-limiting performance, and the X-15 ballooned back up to around 140,000 feet (43 km). He flew past the landing field at Mach 3 (2,000 mph, 3,200 km/h) at over 100,000 feet (30 km) in altitude, and ended up 40 miles (64 km) south of Edwards. After sufficient descent, he turned back toward the landing area, and landed, just missing Joshua trees at the south end. It was the longest X-15 flight in both flight time and length of the ground track.[42]

- Gemini 8

Spoiler

Gemini 8 launched on March 16, 1966. It was to be the most complex yet, with a rendezvous and docking with an unmanned Agena target vehicle, and the second American extravehicular activity (EVA) by Scott. In total, the mission was planned to last 75 hours and 55 orbits. After the Agena lifted off at 10:00:00 EST,[69] the Titan II rocket carrying Armstrong and Scott ignited at 11:41:02 EST, putting them into an orbit from which they chased the Agena.[70] They achieved the first-ever docking between two spacecraft in orbit.[71] Contact with the crew was intermittent due to the lack of tracking stations covering their entire orbits. Out of contact with the ground, the docked spacecraft began to roll, and Armstrong attempted to correct this with the Orbital Attitude and Maneuvering System (OAMS) of the Gemini spacecraft. Following the earlier advice of Mission Control, they undocked, but found that the roll increased dramatically to the point where they were turning about once per second, indicating a problem with Gemini's attitude control. Armstrong engaged the Reentry Control System (RCS) and turned off the OAMS. Mission rules dictated that once this system was turned on, the spacecraft had to re-enter at the next possible opportunity. It was later thought that damaged wiring caused one of the thrusters to become stuck in the on position.[72]

- Flying bed thing

Spoiler

To give the astronauts experience with how the LM would fly on its final landing descent, NASA commissioned Bell Aircraft to build two Lunar Landing Research Vehicles (LLRV), later augmented with three Lunar Landing Training Vehicles (LLTV). Nicknamed the "Flying Bedsteads", they simulated the Moon's one-sixth of Earth's gravity by using a turbofan engine to support five-sixths of the craft's weight. On May 6, 1968, 100 feet (30 m) above the ground, Armstrong's controls started to degrade and the LLRV began rolling.[91] He ejected safely. Later analysis suggested that if he had ejected half a second later, his parachute would not have opened in time. His only injury was from biting his tongue. The LLRV was completely destroyed.[92] Even though he was nearly killed, Armstrong maintained that without the LLRV and LLTV, the lunar landings would not have been successful, as they gave commanders valuable experience in the behavior of lunar landing craft.[93]

- Apollo 11

Spoiler

moon landing

I'm biased cause I've always liked this stuff but I think most of those should make for some pretty intense sequences. Maybe Chazelle will fuck it up but I've liked all his other stuff and I liked the trailer, so I'm feeling optimistic.

• Like 1