#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

2 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

Excel is going to be denying the mainstream appeal of Star Wars even if it hits 1b domestic.  He'll say Disney shoved it down the audiences throats and made them go see it, that the box office is only because the geeks bought 100 tickets each, not that, you know, Star Wars might actually be extremely popular.

Yep, it's not popular, fanboys just went to see it 10+ times each to make sure it got the record.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Surprised by that considering the average prediction on the forum is $800m. There are a lot more than 1 person expecting it to beat Avatar by at least $50m. There are a number of them predicting over $1 billion.

No, I meant that only one person took the bet against me.

Meaning only one person was willing to bet TFA would make under 810 m DOM. :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

Excel is going to be denying the mainstream appeal of Star Wars even if it hits 1b domestic.  He'll say Disney shoved it down the audiences throats and made them go see it, that the box office is only because the geeks bought 100 tickets each, not that, you know, Star Wars might actually be extremely popular.

I bet he stays far away until March, and if/when he comes back, he will conveniently avoid all Star Wars discussions.  

3 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Yep, it's not popular, fanboys just went to see it 10+ times each to make sure it got the record.

Aren't you going 3 times this weekend? :ph34r:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darth Rallax said:

I bet he stays far away until March, and if/when he comes back, he will conveniently avoid all Star Wars discussions.  

He is discussing it quite a bit on KJ. Surprised that he is still so adamant about this supposed lack of interest from the general audience. I'm with Spizzer on the fact that it made $57m in previews and probably $40m of that was pre-sales. That means we still have $90m in pre-sales that will apply to other days through the film's run. Pretty strong evidence pointing to record-shattering performance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

He is discussing it quite a bit on KJ. Surprised that he is still so adamant about this supposed lack of interest from the general audience. I'm with Spizzer on the fact that it made $57m in previews and probably $40m of that was pre-sales. That means we still have $90m in pre-sales that will apply to other days through the film's run. Pretty strong evidence pointing to record-shattering performance.

Oh totally.  The fact that we had about 500 tickets sold already for today by the end of business yesterday is just crazy.  I think the last I checked we had about 850 tickets sold for the 18th-31st is pretty crazy for us down here.  

• Like 3

I think people are seriously lowballing Friday daytime business.

I can see $65 Million + giving us a OD of almost $130 Million (absolutely insane that a few years ago that would be around the OW week record!)

I would be happy though with anything over $55 Million for the Friday daytime figure

Edited by darthdevidem01
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I assume he'd just say that the presales are fanboys. Only walkups count as general audience, because no one buys tickets on the internet except fans. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Just quickly popping in (I don't care if the thread says No Spoilers, I'm staying away until after I see it tomorrow) to say daammmmmmmnnnnnnn. I'd say Harry Potter's number is more impressive despite being significantly smaller (since that movie started at midnight on the clock, whereas this had a 5 hour jumpstart), but still, hooray!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Well, you know, no one really likes Titanic, just maybe about 1 million teenage girls who took out 10 million dollar loans to go see it as often as possible.

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I assume he'd just say that the presales are fanboys. Only walkups count as general audience, because no one buys tickets on the internet except fans. :ph34r:

I went to bed last night, what did you think of it? Spoiler tag/PM/whatever.

9 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Someone earlier said that CBS reported $139M in presales yesterday.  So could be even higher.  

Even if all 57M was from presales (it wasn't), we've got 82M and counting.  Considering the old total presale record was considerably smaller, it bodes for record weekend business over the next 72 hours.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Baumer Fett said:

Well, you know, no one really likes Titanic, just maybe about 1 million teenage girls who took out 10 million dollar loans to go see it as often as possible.

Pwahaha whenever someone says that I just roll my eyes so much. In my friendship group it's often the guys who go to all the comic book movies religiously and rave about Avenger/TDK's box office. It's so fun to shut them up by actually evidencing titanics epic box office run....truly nothing may ever come close to that ship that stole the hearts of the world. Further to this saying since Titanic the other highest ticket seller is TPM doesn't go down well but gets hilarious reactions!!

• Like 2