#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

Question for those of you who know: why would George Lucas renounce all of this completely? He could've easily still retained the rights to SW but allow JJ and the writers to steer the franchise into something separate from the PT. I mean, just because he has the rights doesn't mean that he cannot allow anyone else to build this new chapater of the SW saga. Not that he needs the money or anything, but couldn't he just let JJ do their thing while still owning the property? I am not saying, "OMG, why did George Lucas abandonus??"; I am just curious about his selling the property. Would it be such hard work for him just to sit back and rake in the more money while JJ did the heavy lifting? 

I have no idea, I'm just thankful he did sell the rights.

4 minutes ago, spizzer said:

I saw Martian there but obviously no 3D or 4:3 scenes.  Otherwise it was pretty awesome, brighter than their old projector.

I might have to do this in both.

I found it a lot better than the Martian, because at least when I saw it , it wasn't optimized for IMAX. The sound system sounded better than The Martian and Ant-Man, but that probably was the mix. Sound is definitely a lot more balanced at Udvar, but it doesn't have the same oomph as at Lockheed.

• Like 1

AOTC dropped for more than a single reason:

Nowhere to go but down 

Not ideal reception from TPM

Not ideal reception for itself

Competition from SM1

Why are folks insistent on there being a sole correct factor?  Reality rarely works like that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Question for those of you who know: why would George Lucas renounce all of this completely? He could've easily still retained the rights to SW but allow JJ and the writers to steer the franchise into something separate from the PT. I mean, just because he has the rights doesn't mean that he cannot allow anyone else to build this new chapater of the SW saga. Not that he needs the money or anything, but couldn't he just let JJ do their thing while still owning the property? I am not saying, "OMG, why did George Lucas abandon us??"; I am just curious about his selling the property. Would it be such hard work for him just to sit back and rake in the more money while JJ did the heavy lifting? 

Pure speculation but it was likely a combo of: 1) wanting to retire; 2) Disney offering 4 BILLION dollars; 3) Disney wanting to make sure that they had full creative control over where the franchise went in the future.

2 minutes ago, Luiz Nando said:

@BoxOffice  
STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS earned an official estimate of $120.5M on opening day Friday. #StarWars #TheForceAwakens

:kitschjob: It is insane but thanks to the ridiculous stuff being thrown around now I feel disappointed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luiz Nando said:

@BoxOffice  
STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS earned an official estimate of $120.5M on opening day Friday. #StarWars #TheForceAwakens

Freaking Amazing!

But unfortunately went down $5-7m from last night's late # :/

6 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

This is what Kal posted his morning.. I'd give anything to know WTF any of this means?? How the fuck is this in any way, a disrespect to the Old Trilogy??

I love Kal, but a lot of his posts make no sense. I am not even talking about the topics he brings up, but about the actual language (almost as if English were not his mother tongue).

• Like 1

Normal business hours Friday looks almost exactly the same as jurassic world. Could even be less depending on which way the Thursday preview estimate actually went which we'll never know.  $230m is not guaranteed.

Meltdowns incoming

Edited by IMojammer

5 minutes ago, Kalderic said:

Wait, so is mentioning a characters name considered a spoiler now? Especially one that has been the front of practically all the marketing? Am I missing something?

I think the moderators moved 1 or 2 comments.