#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

3 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

Hope it gets at least 70m today. 250m OW would just be too epic. I can't wait to follow the rest of its run.

I wonder why the estimates got so crazy last night. The enormous pre sales probably threw off industry tracking models.

Yeah similar to TA2 at over $100m early projections. 

1 hour ago, Luiz Nando said:

@BoxOffice  
STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS earned an official estimate of $120.5M on opening day Friday. #StarWars #TheForceAwakens

SW opening day almost > MJ part 1 OW

SW first 21 hours almost > MJ part 2 OW

SW OW > MJ part 2 current gross?:ph34r::qotd:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

Hope it gets at least 70m today. 250m OW would just be too epic. I can't wait to follow the rest of its run.

I wonder why the estimates got so crazy last night. The enormous pre sales probably threw off industry tracking models.

Yeah, we saw that with the 43M matinee number.  It didn't do that, that's probably not practically possible on a Friday.  They just knew they had done 43M in total (walkup+presale/matinee+evenings) Friday business at the time of that report.  It was probably something like 13M Matinees + 30M evenings, and then they did 10M more in walkups for both.  

Some of them mistook that 43M number for just matinee business up to that point - evenings of 45M would have been pretty standard from there, so 88M projection was incorrectly made, which is where the 145M figure came from.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I'm wondering if repeat viewings from fanboys will help offset some of the general audience shopping and traveling who plan to see it later in the film's run. 

I bet that happens.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

I gathered you were implying that because they grossed more in 2015 than 2014 they had a better year.  They didn't.  So far they've released 31 movies in 2015 compared to 24 in 2014, as well as more expensive ones.   And the 2015 gross includes most of American Sniper.

My point was, it could have been worse. And yes, 2015 includes AMERICAN SNIPER. We count calendar gross here, right?

11 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

I gathered you were implying that because they grossed more in 2015 than 2014 they had a better year.  They didn't.  So far they've released 31 movies in 2015 compared to 24 in 2014, as well as more expensive ones.   And the 2015 gross includes most of American Sniper.

And they deserve it for how poorly they've handled their catalog titles on Blu-ray!

Yay!

The weekend as a whole is bound to set records as well: Star Wars and the new releases alone will likely combine for more than $266 million, which is the cumulative total of the biggest box office weekend ever when counting all releases (achieved during Jurassic World's opening weekend).

• Like 3

Thinking $65M today and $45M tomorrow. $230M OW.

Going to keep the expectations low. Weekdays should be fun, though. The first 17 days will be insane. Jurassic World has the record for a 17-day gross at just barely $500M. Anyone thinking $600M for this?