#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

Decent Friday finally, Star Wars is placing records in the books with an incredible 120 million which will give it a possible 240 million OW. Decent debut for Sisters it should hold up well in the holidays and should make about at least between 14-15 million this weekend. Chipmunks weren't too far behind and faced the lowest grossing OD for the kids 80's cartoon revive and should probably make 14.3 million for the weekend and hold up ok in the weeks to come.

15 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

This is pretty close. Especially considering this is December.

True. But no 3D, no IMAX, no LPF, no comic book movie trend, no extra hours, no sequel advantage, fewer theaters, 2002 prices. I think most were expecting SM1 to open a little bit better than Xmen. That $114 was a complete shock and just unheard of for 2002. That record didn't even get broken until 2006! How crazy is that?

That opening was so absurd, it gave birth to the trend we have now. With SW, or even Batman, you expect these glorious openings, but back in 2002, I don't think anyone was even expecting Spiderman to pass HP1, and I think it was expected to come in 3rd for the year below Two Towers and Episode 2.

This opening is amazing and $230+ is just flat out ridiculous, but looking at the box office climate in 2002, and Spiderman in general back then, it's hard for anything to impress me more.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 3

I wonder if all this record breaking sales will cause people to avoid seeing it because they'll think it will be to hard to get seats opening weekend. I would be very curious to know what the ratio of walkups to pre-sold tickets is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blan Solo said:

I just bought some gift cards at the movie theater, and there was a big line for tickets. As I left, I saw this guy in his 30s with his wife with a sad look on his face as he said "Two to Sisters"

lol

4 minutes ago, Blan Solo said:

I just bought some gift cards at the movie theater, and there was a big line for tickets. As I left, I saw this guy in his 30s with his wife with a sad look on his face as he said "Two to Sisters"

• Like 1

Jurassic World was a complete shock in BO terms to me, the trailer was pretty laughable and I thought it wouldn't have the audience but would still do good business. But it had that generational appeal and was actually pretty good. The Star Wars BO is gonna be interesting, especially the spin offs. The prequels saw a big drop between movies, people came back for the third as they were hoodwinked into thinking it was a good movie and it had Vader in it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

For now. Seriously doubt the May date sticks, and 2017 might not stick either. 

I kinda want them to do 1.5 years break inbetween movies... that'd be cool in my book and I think Disney should realize pent-up demand gets people hyped.

Rogue One - May 26, 2017

Episode VIII - December 14, 2018

Han Solo Spin off - May 22, 2020

Episode IX - December 17, 2021

Will Disney do this? Probably not, but they should at least move 8 back to December

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, philyb said:

Jurassic World was a complete shock in BO terms to me, the trailer was pretty laughable and I thought it wouldn't have the audience but would still do good business. But it had that generational appeal and was actually pretty good. The Star Wars BO is gonna be interesting, especially the spin offs. The prequels saw a big drop between movies, people came back for the third as they were hoodwinked into thinking it was a good movie and it had Vader in it.

They also came back to Sith because at the time it was going to be last Star Wars movie

• Like 1

I always find it a little strange that BO previews, in this case Thursday are added to the Friday figure, as sometimes previews can be a full BO day.

The reality is that SW7 has made somewhere around $63+ mil for its Friday take (and not $120+ mil)  in North America, and $57 mil for Thursdays take.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Blan Solo said:

I kinda want them to do 1.5 years break inbetween movies... that'd be cool in my book and I think Disney should realize pent-up demand gets people hyped.

Rogue One - May 26, 2017

Will Disney do this? Probably not, but they should at least move 8 back to December

I also would like 8 and 9 to remain in December, hopefully that happens.  Dec 2017 for 8 and Dec 2019 for 9.   Even though all the other movies were 3 years apart, isn't Disney aiming for only a 2 year gap with 7-9?

Though with the spin off movies they have something to fill the gaps so you're schedule does look good.

Edited by FTF

6 minutes ago, Blan Solo said:

Rogue One - May 26, 2017

Yeah, this once a year thing is ridiculous. And what will they do after the OT is done in 2019? Disney needs to milk this as long as they can. I'd do Ep 8 in 2018 and Ep 9 in 2021 or even even '22. And I'd do the spin offs every now and then.

You don't want to shove all your eggs in the basket all at once.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mepal1 said:

I always find it a little strange that BO previews, in this case Thursday are added to the Friday figure, as sometimes previews can be a full BO day.

The reality is that SW7 has made somewhere around $63+ mil for its Friday take (and not $120+ mil)  in North America, and $57 mil for Thursdays take.

Here in the United States, studios report Thursday previews as part of Friday's gross, and that's how officially it'll be entered in the record books.

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

30 mins till showtime and the theater is at least 70% full :ohmygod: 

That's nothing, when I entered the actual theater after being in line for an hour last night, the theater was completely full except for maybe 5% of the seats with 40 minutes until showtime