#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

Ahh, the little language details that make the differences.

I am aware about your posts, gave likes for those. ;)

But I didn't look too closely to be aware about which region(s) those told about, also you were away dor some hours (sleeping I guess), and based on that not sure about if you've seen the other user's reports. It's a lot to backread here, or?

It's a lot of back read. But yeah the tweets are from random people. They don't always have their location listed. They're from all over the U.S.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DarthArachnid!™ said:

I'll give this a quick shot, treating TFA as Avatar "Lite"(worse drops down the line):

Mon: 36.3m (-40%)

Tue: 34.5m (-5%)

Wed: 34.5m (-0%)

Thu: 21.7m (-37%)

375m 1st week total

Fri: 43.5m (+100%)

Sat: 52.1m (+20%)

Sun: 42.7m (-18%)

138.3m 2nd Weekend (-44.2%)

513.3m 10 Day total

Mon: 32.0m (-25%)

Tue: 29.4m (-8%)

Wed: 29.4m (-0%)

Thu: 22.0m (-25%)

626.1m 2 Week Total, 2015 Total

Fri: 36.4m (+65%)

Sat: 36.4m (-0%)

Sun: 23.6m (-35%)

96.4m 3rd Weekend (-30.3%)

722.5m heading into post-holiday run.

We'll see, obviously, but I think Tuesday jumps are much stronger than they were in '09, and Wednesday drops are a lot harsher. I think it'll do something like jump 5-10% tomorrow, and then drop 15-20% on Wednesday.

• Like 1

Is this the first 3-day weekend with $300m in business from the top 12?

Also this weekend is almost 2 1/2 times bigger than last year. 140% increase, is that a record too?

Edited by jandrew

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

About time you frozen peeps up north got your shit together. :P

Quite a big turnaround for sw brand.

In 2005 GOF and rots had a fight to the death for who won 2005.

(I forgot who won lol)

Now it be all time hit 

2 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

We'll see, obviously, but I think Tuesday jumps are much stronger than they were in '09, and Wednesday drops are a lot harsher. I think it'll do something like jump 5-10% tomorrow, and then drop 15-20% on Wednesday.

Mega openers with IMAX do not jump like that on their first Tuesday. TA2 and JW are proof of that one this year. We'll see though, holidays might help TFA in comparison.

3 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Yeah, that's definitely different, I just figured the two days kind balance each other out so I just went with the overall pattern since the calendars are the same. Which drives me nuts that BOM doesn't have a TFA vs Avatar Showdown. JW is toast and nearly incomparable calendar-wise.

27 minutes ago, doublejack said:

In hindsight, we all should have seen this weekend coming. JW was a good indicator. That was a continuation, after quite a gap, of an older franchise with a new installment. Like SW, the first JP is fondly remembered and the newer ones not so much. Nostalgia played a huge role in JW capturing the opening weekend record. TFA has several advantages, though. The built-in fan base is way larger.  Years of Clone Wars cartoons have brought in younger fans, and older fans that were kids when the original movies came out in the late 70's / early 80's pre-date JP. 

I think many of us did. I always thought it would beat it but I didn't expect by quite as much - only due to it being the weekend before Xmas. 

Its still one thing to expect it, but another thing to see it up in lights. That Sunday gross is just ridiculous. 

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Updated Numbers.

Opening weekend record broken by 20% in Canada.

18.6 million vs 15.5 million For TA.

No Jw does not have the opening weekend record.

Canada is a leggy market TA legs would be 70+ million here 

It was only $18.6m in Canada.  The Canadian and Aussie dollars are at parity.  Canada has 50% more people and yet it makes 30% less.  It was 4 days in Australia vs 3.5 in Canada but thought it would have been more then that.