#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

This December record has the potential to hold for decades. Eventually inflation will probably do it in, but this thing almost tripled the record. The weather was perfect for this weekend as well, which is another obstacle that everyone talked about. That won't happen every December.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

So what do y'all think the floor is for the 10-day total? I ran the numbers and came up with about $490m. Could go above $500m, but I'll say $480m seems to be the floor. That's pretty amazing, especially since it has another holiday inflated weekend right after that.

I think it crosses 500m pretty easily.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yeah, the guy who made a very cynical killing on numerous home video re-releases, each one advertised as more "special" than the previous one. He pretty much invented double dipping.

Fair point - the amount of re-releases on DVD and other formats is shameful.

But an exclusively money-grubbing guy doesn't let his cash cow go dormant for 16 years and then another 10 years.

He's a complicated guy, in some ways.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, darthdevidem01 said:

Oh but what a great film that was. Wonder if TFA will beat its attendance for monday though.

Doubt it.  2D inflation alone would put that Monday at high 30Ms, then add in 3D.  TFA Monday would have to be close to 50M to match it's attendance.

• Like 1

Just now, stuart360 said:

Its just a shame Saturday was the biggest shopping day of the year. If it was a normal Saturday and had that tiny Sunday drop, the coming days could be extraordinary. They still could be and probably will be.

It's sort of a trade-off though. If it came out a week earlier, Saturday would have been stronger but Sunday would have dropped harder due to the fact people aren't off work and school Monday (which makes Sunday evening shows more difficult to attend). A mid-July release is the perfect release date to go for maximum weekend potential because kids are out of school and your Sunday evening shows get the benefit of that plus your Thursday evening preview shows benefit from it too. But I think over the long haul, this pre-Christmas weekend is brilliant. All kinds of holiday boost throughout the next two weeks including both weekends with huge boosts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

So what do y'all think the floor is for the 10-day total? I ran the numbers and came up with about $490m. Could go above $500m, but I'll say $480m seems to be the floor. That's pretty amazing, especially since it has another holiday inflated weekend right after that.

I got $475m as a floor so right around yours. Another 7 days of holidays after that will seal the DOM title. Unless the weekend are really fooling us, I have $615m through New Year's weekend as a floor.

Edited by Jayhawk the Hutt

I doubt the Christmas films will put a dent into Star Wars but the January films will be much more competitive: The Hateful Eight, The Revenant,  Ride Along 2, and Kung Fu Panda 3 to name a few.  This is why Avatar-like holds are unrealistic. Avatar only had to contend with a Denzel Washington film and some horror flicks. It only really started losing steam towards the end of February/ early March. 

3 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

So, where are those people who said that Disney will ruin Star Wars????

Some are in my French class, a few are in my math class, and one of them (my uncle) is seeing the movie right now.

I'm shit at predictions, and the only one I made for this film was about 5 weeks ago saying we'd probably all wonder how we ever doubted this film come opening weekend.

Which gives me a perfect record as far as TFA goes.

big_keep-on-truckin01.gif?w=640

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

I got $475m as a floor so right around yours. Another 7 days of holidays will seal the DOM title. Unless the weekend are really fooling us, I have $615m through New Year's weekend as a floor.

Yeah, Jurassic World had a 1.62 multiplier from its 10-day total. If we end up around $490m with TFA through 10 days, that would mean a floor of $794m total and that doesn't really account for the holiday boost on New Year's weekend. JW dropped 49% on its third weekend.

• Like 1

$74,412 mor and the average per theater would have been $60,000

Btw, in case no one pointed that little detail out:

the OS was also underestimated:

With a domestic start of $248M & an overseas start of $281M, the global launch for STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS is a record $529M.

• Like 4