#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

Goodbye, Potter.

You held onto the midnight record for 4 years. Yes, I know, Harry, they had five or four extra hours.

No...babe...you still hold the record for TRUE midnights. *pets head*

Congratulations, Star Farters. It took a 40 year old franchise with the old cast to break Potter. 

Lol...in all honesty, congratulations. This is a deserving win. 55m decimates the record. 

You did what AoU couldn't ever do. 

I'm actually just having a laugh. SW would have broken it no matter what. 

And I hope SW7 decimates the $100m OD record by a large amount. These kinds of runs are what we box office fans love the most no matter which franchises we love most. I'm glad that Potter only gave up its record to a fellow box office might.

• Like 23

13 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Crazy number. A 120m OD would be incredible. 

Can an I just say though, this reinforces just how impressive DH2's midnights were, without the aid of 7pm-12am shows. 

DH2's midnight performance was incredible.

Generally I would say DH2 actually had more shows than most of the 7 PM starters we've seen such as TA2. When you start at 7 PM, you can't take over the entire theater. There are other movies playing with contracts that must be upheld. DH2 at midnight was playing on pretty much every screen at various theaters because the other Thursday movies were done for the day.

But in the case of TFA, the shows were more staggered throughout the night and it ran all the way to 6 AM. Other 7 PM starters did not have enough demand to go all the way to 6 AM the next day. It does feel pretty weird though that we are now in $50m preview territory. At that point you might as well call it a full day. 4-day weekend instead of 3-day. :lol:

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Goodbye, Potter.

You held onto the midnight record for 4 years. Yes, I know, Harry, they had five or four extra hours.

No...babe...you still hold the record for TRUE midnights. *pets head*

Congratulations, Star Farters. It took a 40 year old franchise with the old cast to break Potter. 

Lol...in all honesty, congratulations. This is a deserving win. 55m decimates the record. 

You did what AoU couldn't ever do. 

I'm actually just having a laugh. SW would have broken it no matter what. 

And I hope SW7 decimates the $100m OD record by a large amount. These kinds of runs are what we box office fans love the most no matter which franchises we love most. I'm glad that Potter only gave up its record to a fellow box office might.

No 5 extra hours? You disappoint me, Noctis. 

• Like 1

There is no doubt that Dh2 keeping the record for 4 years is mighty impressive.

Many films aimed to the record since and did not come close at all.

To finally beat Potter it took the biggest domestic franchise of all time to as well.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:
Just now, HeyItsMoses said:

I think it sucks that JW is only holding the record for 6 months. It was a great popcorn flick, but yet again, Lucas trumps Spielberg. 

As Darth Vader would say the opening weekend is not assured yet....

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

So UK did £9.6m including £2.4m from midnights. A 4x multiple.

The Us multiplier will be lower due to Thursday previews, not just midnights. 

3x would be $166m opening day. Unless it's way more front loaded. 140m?

100 million seems assured rest is well up to sw fans madness 

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

So UK did £9.6m including £2.4m from midnights. A 4x multiple.

The Us multiplier will be lower due to Thursday previews, not just midnights. 

3x would be $166m opening day. Unless it's way more front loaded. 140m?

It will be way more frontloaded. I would guess the midnight/preview culture in North America is more ingrained than other territories and I would also guess Disney had it playing on a larger percentage of North American screens than UK screens for the preview shows. Could be wrong about that. Wonder if RTH has those numbers?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rth said:

Well let's just say the 50-55 that was mentioned few places early well truely in right ball park, didn't take it long get  #2 spot 

Still not getting this 50-55m

Potter did 43m midnight to 6.

This has 2 more(66%more) time slots starting at 7pm and i keep reading this

"I can tell you this,” said one distribution insider, “No one has ever seen anything like this. It’s very possible that it could go over $50M,” and the exec says, if theaters are playing this film all night long, then Force Awakens can get to $100M in one of the fastest times ever. 

http://deadline.com/2015/12/star-wars-force-awakens-box-office-thursday-night-previews-1201669166/

If they've never seen this before, maybe they have short memories, and people have posted all of the sellouts to back this up, how the hell does it do just 20% more in BO. It sounds like the screen/show count is matching or beating HP per slot. 

Something is a miss if it doest go well into the 60s

• Like 1

1 minute ago, No Prisoners said:

Still not getting this 50-55m

Potter did 43m midnight to 6.

This has 2 more(66%more) time slots starting at 7pm and i keep reading this

"I can tell you this,” said one distribution insider, “No one has ever seen anything like this. It’s very possible that it could go over $50M,” and the exec says, if theaters are playing this film all night long, then Force Awakens can get to $100M in one of the fastest times ever. 

http://deadline.com/2015/12/star-wars-force-awakens-box-office-thursday-night-previews-1201669166/

If they've never seen this before, maybe they have short memories, and people have posted all of the sellouts to back this up, how the hell does it do just 20% more in BO. It sounds like the screen/show count is matching or beating HP per slot. 

Something is a miss if it doest go well into the 60s

It's rather simple people mostly watched it from 7 to midnight compared to midnight to 6 am for Potter. 

I think it sucks that JW is only holding the record for 6 months. It was a great popcorn flick, but yet again, Lucas trumps Spielberg. 

At least it's not Ghostbusters 2 length reign.

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

Funny if it follows Dh2 from now on it should get 220 million weekend.

Unless my numbers are wrong but this would have to be more front loaded then breaking down part 2 to miss JW..

Edited by Lordmandeep

I remember the Potter midnight number as one of those big box office moments that your jaw drops when you see the number and has a special place in box office history.  Like spideys 115, siths 50, TDK 25 on Monday and now TFA will add to this list.

It is kinda cool how when records are broken, it recognizes the greatness of the previous record holder as well.

• Like 5