#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

1 minute ago, kitik said:

I thought I read somewhere upthread that presales finished in the 120-130 range.

If that's true than we have 65-75M in presales still to be covered and presales are still occurring.  The largest proportion of that should be for the next 3 days + Christmas.

10 am and 1030 am avx  shows went for 50 to 80% full as of now and all the afternoon showings will be similar it seems.

Here at least day business + night will be gigantic.

Edited by Lordmandeep

3 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

The thing about seeing it multiple times the same day, or the day after, or like seeing it every day for a week, is like I said: you don't get time to think about it, to digest it, to know completely how you feel about it, to process it, to let it stew and even yearn for it, miss it to the point where you NEED to see it again to remember those things you forgot about it.

There is an instant gratification problem the Internet/social media has contributed to. Fanatics will always be fanatics but letting something digest is for me a better way to be objective & enjoy a film you really think is great. Careful though, you don't want to offend those going to see it 10 times today lol.

AMC Empire 25 has sold out all its AMC Prime shows till 11PM. Even 3AM show has 45 tickets sold at 21.59 per ticket !!!!!

https://tickets.fandango.com/transaction/ticketing/express/ticketboxoffice.aspx?row_count=106251339&mid=169229&tid=AAORE

its definitely taking highest single day gross minus previews. 70m+ friday for sure looking at how strong the early sales are. I see with reserved seating even morning shows are almost sold out !!!

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, spizzer said:

If that's true than we have 65-75M in presales still to be covered and presales are still occurring.  The largest proportion of that should be for the next 3 days + Christmas.

I would bet only about $40m of the Thursday number is pre-sales. So if we have $130m total pre-sales, then we still have another $90m of pre-sales left.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, spizzer said:

CBSNews said $139M in pre-sales - note that they extend into 2016.

Fandango reported yesterday that they have already sold more tickets for TFA than for the entire run of any other movie (ie they have sold more pre-sale tickets to TFA than the entire run of tickets sold for JW).

• Like 3

Random example of why seeing something on opening night is so cool (Thursdays are the real opening nights, imo). 

We got there about 40 minutes early, just in case there was anything interesting going on, and Wrathette #1 was in full costume (conveniently, she was Obi Wan for Halloween because there was no way she was going to wear the Ahsoka costume). In front of the theater there was a guy with some really cool light sabers, and he was sparring with anyone who came along and was interested (they were really good light sabers, cool looking and sturdy enough for real sparring).

Turns out he's offering classes at one of the local martial arts places incorporating light saber dueling into a fitness and martial arts program (the guy was doing a lot of teaching during the sparring and mixed in some capoeria). Both Wrathettes were fascinated and took turns with the guy. As it happened, while Wrathette #1 (in costume) was sparring with the guy, a photographer asked if he could take her picture for the paper. We said sure.

Then after we saw the movie, a TV crew came up to us and asked her if she was interested in being interviewed on her reaction to the movie. She's actually kinda shy, plus it was already 10 pm on a school night and we'd have to stick around for at least another 20 minutes before her time slot came up, so she passed. Then, this morning, the big picture above the fold on the front page was her, fighting the guy with a caption that read "The Force is strong with this one." She wants us to frame it. If she'd done the interview, she'd pretty much be the face of Star Wars in our town.

As a bonus, there were a couple middle school kids, one with a clarinet, one with a tuba, I think, playing the various songs from Star Wars (not very well I must say, but they kept at it and raked in a lot of cash) so they even had theme music for the whole thing.

And that's why going to opening night is fun. You never know what'll happen.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 10