AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

Loved this movie. Loooooooooooooooooove it. IO is still my favorite of the year, this is second right now. 

Characters are fantastic, especially Rey and Kylo. Daisy Ridley is going to be on the A-list soon. Kylo Ren is a really complex character and better than Vader IMO. Finn and Poe are great as well, though the latter could have been in it more. BB-8 :wub: Hux is pretty good too. Maz and Snoke were both good in the capacity used but are definitely sequel baiting for more backstory (Maz even says it at one point!). Really my only negative about the new characters is Phasma. She's Boba Fett 2.0 and I don't see that changing in the sequel. Han, Leia, Chewie, and 3P0 are the characters you know and love. R2 was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay underused. When Luke showed up, fucking chills went down my spine. The audience went nuts and I joined in.

The story borrow elements from ANH but to say it's a remake is hilarious. Where was that chase on Tatooine? Who was Finn and Poe's equivalent? I could go on. Sure, the plot's safe, but the movie is great so it doesn't matter. I already had Han's death spoiled but for a moment I thought he'd still live. NOOOOOOOOOOOPE. My jaw still dropped when Kylo stabbed him. I didn't expect Kylo to be a Solo after all the hype that Rey was going to be it. The humor in the movie is really well done too.

The practical effects looked great, as did the CGI. Sound was amazing. My biggest issue was how underwhelming the score was. It's better than AOTC's and maybe Jedi's but not one I'd pull a lot from. Maybe my opinion will change when I listen to it on my own.

Overall, 9/10. Considered giving it 9.5 but I need to see it one more time. Ranks:

ESB

ANH

TFA

ROTS
ROTJ
TPM
AOTC

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

Score is more solid than I thought on my initial watch. Although it could be the weakest in the saga. Rey's theme is a standout though. First Order/Kylo's theme is really good as well. Giacchino is doing the next one, right?

I still expect Williams to do 8.

36 minutes ago, Darth AndyLL said:

Maybe I didn't understand the weapon but if it sucks all the energy from the Sun doesn't that make it worthless after a few shots since the Sun is gone?

They most definitely move the planet/base to another system, from where they suck the new sun's energy and make another shoot. Which makes you consider why is the weapon focused on shooting rays, when they can just kill their sun. I guess they prefer to keep the distance from their enemies.

How do they move it from one system to another? I guess they have a powerful shield, because it's not likely that a normal planet could keep its atmosphere intact while moving faster than light. It all gets slightly ruined if you think about the technical details, which is why I think we don't actually see the Starkiller moving.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Really my only negative about the new characters is Phasma. She's Boba Fett 2.0 and I don't see that changing in the sequel.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have Finn and Phasma square off in 8. She's definitely going to want some revenge for Finn's actions in this one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Flyingcow29 said:

Actually a crazy thought occurs to me due to my confusion. What if Hans body finds it way to phasma and they turn Han into a weapon cyborg or some type.

The anime is strong with this one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Flyingcow29 said:

Actually a crazy thought occurs to me due to my confusion. What if Hans body finds it way to phasma and they turn Han into a weapon cyborg or some type.

5 minutes ago, Dr 3va2an said:

The anime is strong with this one.

:rotfl:

At least I didn't went that far to suggest it. :ph34r: