AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

On 12/18/2015, 10:11:24, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I've got to say, I'm surprised by the negative opinions here. And honestly, much of what you're arguing about is stuff I felt made the movie better. Kylo Ren is way more interesting as Han/Leia's son than just another Vader-esque figure... and I felt Driver did a better job portraying the internal struggle than anything we were shown about Anakin in the prequels. Pairing Ren with Rey (who's presumably Luke's daughter) makes a really interesting dynamic moving forward for the next couple movies. In terms of the SW universe being bigger than this core family -- maybe the expanded universe, but the movies have always been closely focused on the Skywalkers, essentially, and this continues in their footsteps.

I can quibble about the general framework of the plot involving another monolithic system-destroyer, but heck, if it's good enough for JEDI it's good enough for me.

Ahhh here it is. Found the Tele review :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr 3va2an said:

If they dropped Han into the Starkiller beam and disintegrated him some people would say he could rebuild himself like the T-1000.

Han should return, but he can only talk to Rey and Finn behind the bookshelf with the powah of gravity

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 6

26 minutes ago, Damien Spock said:

It makes me happy the site background image is from the Jakku chase. That's easily the best part of the entire film.

I'd rank Han's death, Starkiller destroying planets, Rey's flashforward acid trip, the Luke reveal, and Rey's showdown with Kylo's all higher.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'd rank Han's death, Starkiller destroying planets, Rey's flashforward acid trip, the Luke reveal, and Rey's showdown with Kylo's all higher.

I was unfortunately spoiled on the first when I hopped on FB real quick to message a friend about where to meet up to ride to the theater. I'll agree it was well done, though.

Starkiller didn't do it for me. It felt too detached. I thought it was one of the weakest aspects of the film, overall.

Rey's mental trip was kinda neat, but I don't think it was a huge moment, IMO. Reminded me of Spock explaining the backstory in ST09 more than anything else.

Luke Reveal, eh, no. Nostalgia doesn't do it for me, and at that point I felt like the film had gone on about a scene or two too much anyway.

Showdown? It was some nice lightsaber fighting, but it didn't pump me. In fact, most of the PT saber battles were better than it, IMO.

So, I'm going to go with Jakku chase. The first act is the strongest of the entire film and this was a great capstone to it.

• Like 1

The Final scene was my favorite of the entire movie, what an epic intro for Luke.

most of my questions are about ray.. because well she was awesome. so is Luke Rey's Father? who was the family she was talking about? (is it completely out of the question that Mara Jade or a Mara Jade Type could be her mother? they never said her last name, I feel if she was not any relation to someone important it would have been relieved in the movie.

Finn's origin could be something important too just can't think of what. is Finn force sensitive? It wouldn't seem so. but he may just not be as strong with the force as Rey.

Will Kylo Ren get redemption or will he fail farther down the path of the Darkside? I feel he will eventually turn light to be honest.

I was also right about, ray being the Jedi, Kylo Ren being Han and Leia's son and Finn not being a Jedi of any kind when he used a Lightsaber yay me :D

Is Snoke Darth Plagueis?

Will Finn and Rey have a romantic relationship further on? will Poe be part of a love triangle? will Rey just fall or Poe? no romance at all maybe?? Poe and Finn really seemed to get along really well too...

I just read 30% of the thread and I gotta say, if there were internet during the late 70's and early 80's the OT would've been nitpicked to shreds.

I'm not saying the movie is perfect but c'mon, this movie brings the emotions, wonder and fun many wanted from the prequels.

Kylo Ren is a perfect example.

He's everything Anakin from the prequels should've been and more.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 10

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I just read 30% of the thread and I gotta say, if there were internet during the late 70's and early 80's the OT would've been nitpicked to shreds.

I'm not saying the movie is perfect but c'mon. But this movie brings the emotions, wonder and fun many wanted from the prequels.

Kylo Ren makes Lucas's Anakin look like a masterpiece in character writing

Why do the storm troopers always miss?

How did Luke manage to blow the death star? 

Why does Vadar wear a mask?

Why does Obi-Wan have two names?

Why did Luke's uncle hide the fact that his father fought in the clone wars?

Why did Obi-Wan disappear when he died and how did he talk to Luke?

Edited by Darth Dexter of Hoth

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm not saying the movie is perfect but c'mon. But this movie brings the emotions, wonder and fun many wanted from the prequels.

I've often felt if ANH were released today without the weight of Star Wars history behind it, it would be seen as mid-tier at best. (Not that it IS mid-tier, but people would lambast it.) The big advantage Star Wars has is that it was released in the 70s so it managed to create its own history and mythology. Films that try to do thing similar nowadays aren't given the chance to do the same things. It's part of why the original film property is becoming such a rare feature. It's too expensive to use film to develop IP and hope that they can become successful to have a franchise go forward. It's much better to mine books or comics or whatever.

• Like 1