CaptainJackSparrow

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story | 1B WW

On 7.1.2017 at 2:38 AM, Aristis said:

At least $475M + $430M ($32M from China) = $910M. But that would be the worst case. Maybe more like $480M + $435M ($35M) = $915M

$500M OS will be passed ;)^_^

It seems they updatet RO at BOM (only OS):

7 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story  BV  $898.5  $461.4  51.3%  $437.1  48.7%

With $476M DOM it should be at $913M. And it seems my $32M from China were still too optimistic :( The rest of the OS country did better though :)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

ROGUE ONE top int'l outposts: UK ($73M) GER ($41M) FRA ($33M) OZ ($32M) JPN ($31M) CHN ($31M) ESP ($15M) BRZ ($14M) RUS ($11M) ITA ($10M)

What happened in Germany and Japan? I thought TFA made loads more there.

• Like 1

This is the fourth consecutive time I believe that DOM and OS year end #1s will be different.

2016 : Rogue One DOM, Civil War OS

2015 : TFA DOM, Furious 7 OS

2014 : American Sniper DOM, Transformer 4 OS

2013 : Catching Fire DOM, Frozen OS

The last movie to top both the DOM box-office and the OS box-office was The Avengers in 2012.

As SW VIII is likely to be the #1 DOM in 2017, the only question is if it will be able to win the #1 OS crown as well ?

Edited by Cynosure
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Well that may be an overstatement. I agree that SW8's Dom to OS will be 50-50 but it will still easily gross +1.5m even so.

is saying "I can see it making less than 750m Dom" an overstatement? 

12 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

This is the fourth consecutive time I believe that DOM and OS year end #1s will be different.

2016 : Rogue One DOM, Civil War OS

2015 : TFA DOM, Furious 7 OS

2014 : American Sniper DOM, Transformer 4 OS

2013 : Catching Fire DOM, Frozen OS

The last movie to top both the DOM box-office and the OS box-office was The Avengers in 2012.

As SW VIII is likely to be the #1 DOM in 2017, the only question is if it will be able to win the #1 OS crown as well ?

Damn lets take a moment to appreciate how poor blockbusters have been these last few years. Only Frozen and American Sniper were good, but where was Americans Snipers competition?

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Can we speculate the reasons why Rogue One is doing so poorly overseas.

I'll go first and apply Occam's razors, overseas didn't like TFA as much as the online reviews claim.

This isn't anything out of the ordinary tbh, it's just how modern Star Wars films perform overseas.

It's doing very well in the UK, well in France, Australia, Germany and Japan, and poorly in China, South Korea, Italy, Russia, Spain, etc.

There aren't really many surprises - nothing's really changed from TFA.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

It's honestly surprising, I wonder how this will effect sws 8's gross. If the OS % stays around 50% I can see it making less than The Avengers.

I think EP8 will make less than Avengers WW, provided that the US dollar doesn't suddenly collapse within a year;)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, hw64 said:

This isn't anything out of the ordinary tbh, it's just how modern Star Wars films perform overseas.

It's doing very well in the UK, well in France, Australia, Germany and Japan, and poorly in China, South Korea, Italy, Russia, Spain, etc.

There aren't really many surprises - nothing's really changed from TFA.

Of course things have changed from TFA. While the markets in itself are clearly split in the same way as before, with those markets that were exposed to Star Wars back in the days delivering, while those that weren't being modest at best, the performance in the common markets still was decidedly different from what was normal for Star Wars. Rogue One clearly didn't start like a normal Star Wars movie did. Just look at what TFA or the prequels did in countries like France or Germany. Those starts were significantly ahead of what Rogue One delivered.

Spain or Italy where hardly bad markets for TFA. Italy wasn't exactly huge, but TFA was still the biggest movie of the year 2015 in terms of Euro, and it was decidedly bigger than any movie but the record-setting local movie this year. TFA was basically 10m Euro ahead of what the biggest foreign movie delivered this year, which is quite a huge difference when it comes to the amounts that get made in Italy. In Spain it got to 6th place alltime in terms of Euro, which was quite a lot more than any movie made this year as well.

The drop between TFA and Rogue One isn't really any different in Italy or Spain than it was in other European markets.

The idea that Rogue One dropped so much because "people didn't like TFA as much as some have claimed", like Iron Jimbo claims, is absurd though. It has little to do with this. This movie clearly wasn't considered part of the main storyline, that's why the movie wasn't as big. Just looking at the openings of the latest Star Wars movies in Germany tells you exactly that people didn't treat this like a regular episode. Episode I started with 1.79m admissions, II with 1.85m, III with 1.96m, VII with 2.14m, Rogue One with 1m. If mixed receptions couldn't cause any of the prequels to start with less, then TFA most definately didn't cause any drop.

• Like 5