CaptainJackSparrow

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story | 1B WW

52 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Of course things have changed from TFA. While the markets in itself are clearly split in the same way as before, with those markets that were exposed to Star Wars back in the days delivering, while those that weren't being modest at best, the performance in the common markets still was decidedly different from what was normal for Star Wars. Rogue One clearly didn't start like a normal Star Wars movie did. Just look at what TFA or the prequels did in countries like France or Germany. Those starts were significantly ahead of what Rogue One delivered.

Of course they were. What, were you expecting Rogue One to make similar amounts to TFA? The point I was making was that the proportions are similar: relative to domestic, Rogue One has performed similarly to TFA overseas (with the strong dollar being partially why overseas is falling behind domestic instead of being at around 55%, the other reason being that Rogue One is a spinoff). Looking at overseas only, the proportions of the individual grosses in each market within the total overseas gross are also similar, with an exaggeratedly large gross in the UK (relatively-speaking) compared to TFA, and exaggeratedly small grosses in places like Russia, South Korea, China, etc. (due to poor reception).

Spain or Italy where hardly bad markets for TFA. Italy wasn't exactly huge, but TFA was still the biggest movie of the year 2015 in terms of Euro, and it was decidedly bigger than any movie but the record-setting local movie this year. TFA was basically 10m Euro ahead of what the biggest foreign movie delivered this year, which is quite a huge difference when it comes to the amounts that get made in Italy. In Spain it got to 6th place alltime in terms of Euro, which was quite a lot more than any movie made this year as well.

Again, I used the term "poorly" in the relative sense. In places like the UK, TFA beat Avatar in admissions by a small margin (<5%). In places like Germany and France, it did 20-30% less than Avatar. In Italy it did over 55% less than Avatar, and in Spain, it did almost 50% less than Avatar.

The drop between TFA and Rogue One isn't really any different in Italy or Spain than it was in other European markets.

In Italy it is, but that's not the point I was making in any case. My point was that TFA performed relatively poorly in Italy and Spain compared to France, Germany, and the UK, and Rogue One is continuing that trend.

This movie clearly wasn't considered part of the main storyline, that's why the movie wasn't as big. Just looking at the openings of the latest Star Wars movies in Germany tells you exactly that people didn't treat this like a regular episode. Episode I started with 1.79m admissions, II with 1.85m, III with 1.96m, VII with 2.14m, Rogue One with 1m. If mixed receptions couldn't cause any of the prequels to start with less, then TFA most definately didn't cause any drop.

Again, this is obvious, and nobody is claiming otherwise. Rogue One continues to follow similar proportions to TFA, which was my point. Of course it is and always was going to gross far less than TFA objectively.

Similarly to Rogue One, I'm expecting a drop overseas for Episode VIII relative to domestic, due to both the domestic strength of Star Wars (which is unmatched anywhere overseas except the UK) and the poor reception to TFA in markets like China, South Korea and Russia. Moving down from the 45%/55% split of TFA, it could come very close to Rogue One and land near a 50%/50% split, especially if currencies like the euro and the pound have similar exchange rates in late 2017 as they do now. Note that I'm making no mention to objective gross, which I expect to be smaller than TFA across the board in any case.

Edited by hw64
  • Like 2

@hw64

I'm expecting a drop overseas for Episode VIII relative to domestic, due to both the domestic strength of Star Wars (which is unmatched anywhere overseas except the UK) and the poor reception to TFA in markets like China, South Korea and Russia. 

They can improve performance in those markets by minimizing turn-offs (Finn), improving fights (more impressive choreography is in order now), explaining stuff that confuses the audience (no more idiotic parentage mysteries and that sort of thing) and maximizing strengths (more screen time for popular characters). 

Edited by Valonqar

Most Chinese were puzzled by the questions

1.Why didn't director and writers let them destroy Death Star but kill them after Rebel got schematics?

2.Who is the emperor, the guy called Tarkin? Wait, I think Darth Vader is the emperor, am I right?

3.Where is the earth? I can only see human beings.

4.This film will have a sequel, right?

• Like 2

out of the UK thread, see screendaily link there 

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story ... spin-off fell 46% as it blasted to a $4m (£3.26m)...for a terrific $72.5m (£59.7m) ...

Rogue One is now the 13th biggest film of all time at the UK box office, behind The Return Of The King’s $74.2m (£61.1m).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

1.Why didn't director and writers let them destroy Death Star but kill them after Rebel got schematics?

2.Who is the emperor, the guy called Tarkin? Wait, I think Darth Vader is the emperor, am I right?

Thank  you. That are the details I am really looking for, see the strange thing in the Chinese sub-forum

• Like 1

On 1/9/2017 at 4:56 AM, Gavin Feng said:

They could fix one of there questions by reading. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

They could fix one of there questions by reading. 

But they shouldn't. I think that one of the reasons that made FB for example translate so well was the fact that you didn't have to previously know a thing in order to understand the story (this was pointed out multiple times by a lot of members here). There was Jacob that asked all the right questions so that the movie didn't feel like a history lesson. But RO seems to have been too heavily reliant on it's mythology, which is fine for the fans, but as many people pointed out, SW is more of a western phenomenon. So if you want to introduce it to a new audience, the least you can do is explain to them why some things happen and why should they care. 

• Like 1

On 2017/1/9 at 10:39 PM, terrestrial said:

Thank  you. That are the details I am really looking for, see the strange thing in the Chinese sub-forum

Mention it in passing, most Chinese don’t like reading especially long article. After weibo coming, 140 words is the limit of most persons.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, James said:

But they shouldn't. I think that one of the reasons that made FB for example translate so well was the fact that you didn't have to previously know a thing in order to understand the story (this was pointed out multiple times by a lot of members here). There was Jacob that asked all the right questions so that the movie didn't feel like a history lesson. But RO seems to have been too heavily reliant on it's mythology, which is fine for the fans, but as many people pointed out, SW is more of a western phenomenon. So if you want to introduce it to a new audience, the least you can do is explain to them why some things happen and why should they care. 

What you'er saying is pointless James.

The movie opens with A LONG TIME AGO IN A GALAXY FAR FAR AWAY.

There is no excuse for wheres earth, if they ask that they are a dumb ass. 

• Like 8

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story has amassed $454.4m from international markets and a further $483.4m from North America. It could cross $500m in both arenas this weekend.

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/rogue-one-in-final-ascent-to-1bn/5112775.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS&contentID=40562

• Like 5

China fell like a rock, almost 80% drop from last Friday(including previews).

It held well most of the week, but today (Friday) registed its lowest gross since its debut in China. 
That is mainly due to screen counts.. theaters are slashing Rogue One's timing wildly. The number of showtimes is less than half of Thursday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Does RO have any more markets to open or is it done? Just goes to show how much more popular SW is in US than in the rest of the world. Not that it isn't popular OS but when one market alone contributes as much as all other combined, it's saying something. FB, for example, has 230M/570M (rounded numbers ratio) which is normal - OS number is over 2x bigger than domestic. 

@TigerPaw

China fell like a rock, almost 80% drop from last Friday(including previews).

It held well most of the week, but today (Friday) registed its lowest gross since its debut in China. 
That is mainly due to screen counts.. theaters are slashing Rogue One's timing wildly. The number of showtimes is less than half of Thursday.

Yikes! Does anyone have links to American articles wondering why SW is a bust in China?

Edited by Valonqar

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Does RO have any more markets to open or is it done? Just goes to show how much more popular SW is in US than in the rest of the world. Not that it isn't popular OS but when one market alone contributes as much as all other combined, it's saying something. FB, for example, has 230M/570M (rounded numbers ratio) which is normal - OS number is over 2x bigger than domestic. 

FB is based on HP, a much younger and international way more translated / book selling counts franchise.... than SW. That SW has another split does not surprise at all, including the SW R1 split and results.... 

So why the many repeats and comparison tries?

Who doesn't not know about usual splits already?

In my POV it is not comparable in nearly all points usually comparisons are made, like they do not even have the same genre yadda yadda.

It gets in my POV boring to partly annoying.

Do I run around and post in every non Doctor Strange thread about whatever? 

= meant as a generally speaking rant

• Like 4