Dementeleus

Wednesday Star Wars TFA ACTUALS - 38,022,183

5 hours ago, dignam said:

But seriously, i dont get all this sw boxoffice hype. Even someone who is not so much into BO knew that this would be a monster. I'm absolutely not spurprised but this boxoffice run. We have a nearly 40 year built up hype, one of the most beloved franchise in  movie history and one of the most passionated fanbase. SW is also one of the most known trademarks worldwide. 

So this is how revisionism begins...with thunderous applause.

• Like 3

And if we asume a $25m Thursday, the period Tue-Thu ($100m), would rank 34th in the list of the biggest OW ever, on par to MJ2 and considering that today people have other things to do instead going to the cinemas...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

So the international drop between Tuesday and Wednesday was -7.55% (41.3M / 38.4M)

source: https://twitter.com/giteshpandya

From Monday to Tuesday it was -1%. Still, pretty good holds, but I don't think these are Avatar-level holds for the Foreign box office! Really hard to compare though, we don't have such numbers available for Avatar.

edit: It's opening in Greece today (Dec 24), so expect a softer drop.

Cyprus, India and Pakistan open on December 25

And at January 9 in China

uups, edit, hit the wrong key

Edited by terrestrial

8 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Yea there's a slight chance it could pass Avatanic :lol:

I was thinking TFA vs. Jurassic World + AOU since those movies both came out this year and are top 10 all time in unadjusted box office would be a fun club. 

Scouring the web, I see that the general consensus from professional prognosticators is about $160 million for it's 2nd weekend. If that happens, it'll hold the 2nd weekend record by over 50% (compared with 20% for the first weekend). I would be willing to bet a $160 million 2nd weekend will stand as a record for upwards of 2 decades.

Edited by VenomXXR
  • Like 1

I remember when the release date was announced, most of the consensus was to be very conservative on the OW (110-140 range) but the legs and weekdays would the stuff of box office legend.

But it opened more massively than anything in history by far, and the legs are better than anything we could've expected even with conservative OW predictions. 

Unfathomable.  There is no ceiling at this point. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, stuart360 said:

Er Titanic was hated for a lot of years, on the internet at least. Its only over the last few years that people would admit how good it was, especially guys.

I finally watched all of Titanic this past year. As a teenager I disliked the film and its lead actor Leo. But over time I have shaken away my foolish views and seen Leo for the greatest actor of his generation. Thus I revisited Titanic and can see it for the cinematic marvel that it is.  Its a far better film than Avatar but T2 blows them both away :)

• Like 2

That gross in the uk is absurd lol.

Looks legs are developing overseas especially Japan and France. 

It's expected to join lion King avatar and avatar as only non French movies over 10 million admissions.

Thinking 1 billion overseas without China is certain only James Cameron movies have done that.

• Like 2

I didn't enter in a prediction for TFA, but if I had, I probably would have put something like 700m. Enough to beat Jurassic World, but not enough to beat Avatar. Now I have no idea how high it'll go.

• Like 2