kayumanggi

ZOOTOPIA | 682.5 M overseas ● 1023.8 M worldwide

Just now, cannastop said:

On the other hand, it now has a better chance to break records on the video market.

What do you mean by "breaking records?" It'll do well but I doubt it reaches something crazy like 15m+ units sold (you never know though).

Just now, cannastop said:

Well, it might sell better than Minions or Inside Out.

True. Leggy movies generally do well on Home video. I'm expecting over 10 million units sold for Zootopia by the end of the year.

1 hour ago, Agafin said:

Also, it's really unfortunate that the DVD is coming so early for Zoo, it might still be making over $1 million a week domestically by then.

Have to admit I was a little concerned when I heard about the early DVD release, but I'm no longer worried that losing a few millions from that will stop Zootopia from reaching $1B.

In fact, I'm looking forward to it. First time I've ever pre-ordered. :D 

ZOOTOPIA
Putting $4.7M in the hopper this weekend, Disney’s animated charmer lifted its cume to $638M overseas and $969.83M global. This is remarkably the 14th weekend of offshore play where it is still in 17 markets. Notably, Japan, which is driving the current box office, leapt 7% in the three-day versus last weekend and brought in $3.8M. The cume there is $35.2M which makes it the No. 2 international market, ahead of the UK and behind China.

Source: Deadline.com

ZOOTOPIA
Putting $5.7M in the hopper this weekend, Disney’s animated charmer lifted its cume to $639M overseas and $970.8M global. This is remarkably the 14th weekend of offshore play where it is still in 17 markets. Notably, Japan, which is driving the current box office, leapt 7% in the three-day versus last weekend and brought in $4.2M. The cume there is $35.6M which makes it the No. 3 international market, just behind of the UK ($39.9M) and China ($235.6M).

• Like 3

Turns out that the drop in OS-Japan was only 32%, instead of a 60% suggested by Sunday estimates. The Japan number was also underestimated. The encouraging Monday numbers from Japan, in addition to all the above, greatly increases the odds of reaching $1B, which I think are at least 90%.

• Like 1

It was a nice bonus at the time, but looking back the real hero in this run has to be the Chinese Film Bureau's surprise decision to extend Zootopia for two weeks, which added $19 million to its total. Right now $53-55 million seems to be what's needed in Japan, but imagine if it had been $72-74 million instead. Now with $1 billion almost a certainty, the only realistic record left is to see if it can make it past the Dark Knight's 1.005 billion mark.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

It's all the more amazing that there was no $1 billion club.

But that's only because no one foresaw Zootopia's success in China.

The interesting thing is, a lot of the predictions that the movie would reach 1 billion (after it was clear that it was blowing up in China) wildly overestimated what would be needed in the UK and Japan. Here's a sample:

On 3/15/2016 at 8:37 PM, Arlo245 said:

I believe Zootopia could hit $1 billion WW with $300 million domestic, $250 million China, $140 million Japan and $310 for the other markets (Big Hero 6 did $274 million without China and Japan but Zootopia is doing much better in Europe than Big Hero 6). It would need to boast great numbers for the UK (above $50 million), Brazil (above $20 million) and Australia (above $30 million). It would also need to hold well in North America ($144 million so far), China ($112 million so far) and other markets ($183 million so far) and become a sensation in Japan (obviously not at Frozen levels but $120-160 million is possible). This is all speculation, but you never know, this could be Walt Disney Animation Studios' second billion-dollar baby. Now who would've seen that coming?

On 3/20/2016 at 11:21 PM, Jack said:

My target is more like;

Japan: $100m (actually hope for $150m+)

UK: $80m

On 3/20/2016 at 8:44 AM, Olive said:

If it makes 100M in Japan which I think is very difficult, then 1b $ will happen.

Current total 390M

China will contribute another 50M

Other maekets (29.1M weekend) - 100M

UK- 50M

Jp -100M(I think it will be closer to $50M instead)

Others - 10M

700M OS with optimistic projection.

And DOM 300-320?

On 3/26/2016 at 1:53 PM, CelestialFairyIX said:

Zootopia:

~ $320 million, US + Canada

~ $220 million, China

~ $70 - 90 million, Japan

~ $40 - 60 million, United Kingdom

~ $25 - 30 million, South Korea

~ $20 - 30 million, Australia 

~ $27 - 30 million, Russia 

~ $150 - 200 million, other markets + holdovers

Total: $872 - 980 million

There was also this post which didn't predict a billion but still went high on the UK and Japan, and was relatively accurate with the US (short $20 million), China (short $11 million), Australia and Brazil numbers but still fell $70 million short.

On 3/21/2016 at 0:32 AM, Infernus said:

So this is at 590m WW now.

We have a most probable 110m more from US (this will still require pretty good legs but the legs have been very good uptil now. More than this is quite unlikely because of the effect BvS will have. BvS has, more or less, a 4 quad appeal just like this plus it will be quite big so whatever you may say, it will definitely affect this and every other film)

We also have 50m more from China (for a 225m most probable final total)

We have a most probable 45m in UK (ofcourse it can breakout and make 60m or flop and not even get to 35 but we are talking about the most probable target)

We have 65m more from Japan (a little less than Big Hero 6 but that had very very good WOM and exceptional multiplier so straightoff assuming a similar total might be too presumptuous. 65 is already more than most movies have made in recent years. Boy and the beast was the highest grossing japanese movie last year and overall, almost, the third highest grossing movie (behind the likes of JW and SW) and also got very very good WOM. It made 47m$)

We have 15m more from Australia (with good WOM)

We have probably 8m more from Brazil.

Maybe another 10m from other markets left to open

Then, we have 35m more probably from remaining holdovers (21.5m weekend. BvS to follow. Easter close.)

That leaves us with a final total of - 930m. This is the most probable final total.

So where did the missing money come from if the UK and Japan results fell short? Domestic got underestimated by $20-40 million, but it was the legs in the other markets that were severely underestimated. Even now, I have no idea where the OS-Japan money is coming from, because Box Office Mojo is completely unreliable at this point.

Edited by LMAbacus
  • Like 2

@LMAbacus

Thanks for one-upping me in obsessively finding old posts about Zootopia. Anyways, considering incomplete information in box office tallies, a lot of your questions can't be answered. But I think that people underestimated the legs in the USA+Canada, and South Korea and Russia chipped in a couple extra million USD more than expected.

Edited by cannastop

14 minutes ago, LMAbacus said:

The interesting thing is, a lot of the predictions that the movie would reach 1 billion (after it was clear that it was blowing up in China) wildly overestimated what would be needed in the UK and Japan. Here's a sample:

There was also this post which didn't predict a billion but still went high on the UK and Japan, and was relatively accurate with the US (short $20 million), China (short $11 million), Australia and Brazil numbers but still fell $70 million short.

So where did the missing money come from if the UK and Japan results fell short? Domestic got underestimated by $20-40 million, but it was the legs in the other markets that were severely underestimated. Even now, I have no idea where the OS-Japan money is coming from, because Box Office Mojo is completely unreliable at this point.

Germany isn't listed anymore on BOM since a few weeks. But about $360k were made here last weekend (as much as South Korea, UK and Switzerland together). And such mistakes are probably responsible for the missing money.

3 minutes ago, Aristis said:

Germany isn't listed anymore on BOM since a few weeks. But about $360k were made here last weekend (as much as South Korea, UK and Switzerland together). And such mistakes are probably responsible for the missing money.

Any missing money is probably from individual countries. For the overall total, Mojo just goes by Disney's word.

@LMAbacus 

Man I really overestimated the UK and Japan! Still somehow hope for $100 million (25x) in Japan (which would require a few more weekend increases to around $5-6 million and regular 0 to 5% drops until July) but $140 million (35x) is illogical to expect at this point, let alone $160 million (40x) haha. I think $60 million is near certain, $70 million is likely, and $80-100 million is possible ($100M would require a push) I also underestimated domestic but my estimate in December of $337 million turned out to be more accurate than I thought. I'm happy I believed in $1 billion since early March :D and the UK, well almost $35 million is just fine but quite a bit less then I thought (Thank you BvS).

36 minutes ago, Aristis said:

Right, but I don't mean missing in that sense; I know that it's still making money in countries despite BOM not listing it. My question is which countries are supplying that money? By your own numbers have Germany, SK and UK only making $720k over the weekend; Australia made $40k; France $74k; Russia $14k; Spain $20k. And yet the movie made over $2 million OS-Japan for the week? Are the weekday numbers extremely strong or something?

19 minutes ago, LMAbacus said:

Right, but I don't mean missing in that sense; I know that it's still making money in countries despite BOM not listing it. My question is which countries are supplying that money? By your own numbers have Germany, SK and UK only making $720k over the weekend; Australia made $40k; France $74k; Russia $14k; Spain $20k. And yet the movie made over $2 million OS-Japan for the week? Are the weekday numbers extremely strong or something?

The issue of untracked revenue only became major in the past few weeks, beginning with the weekend of Apr 22-24. The total amount of untracked revenue isn't huge though if you use the total country grosses (rather than just weekend grosses) - comes out to $9,727,687.

Edited by Jason