Plain Old Tele

The Revenant (2015)

The Revenant (2015)  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

4 minutes ago, lilmac said:

An alternate title should be Foregone Conclusion as in it is a foregone conclusion Leo will get an Oscar for this performance.  Never seen a better performance by an actor before.  Incredible. 

Beautiful film also. 

One of the best movies of 2015. 

Hardy should get a nom too. 

If Hardy didn't get a nom it would be a huge snug imo. easily in the top 3 supporting actor performances I've seen. but The Academy seems to like to forget about him. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lilmac said:

@Kalo - Tom Hardy is one of my favorite actors working today.

He is my #1 favorite actor ever and has been for years. He got massively snubbed in Locke, I also believe his performance in Warrior should have gotten him an oscar Nomination. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking we just give him the Oscar so he doesn't do anything too crazy for his next go at the Oscar.

Sticking candles up your butt is OK I guess, but sleeping in a horse carcass is getting a little too far.

(Not a top five Leo performance, if you asked me to rank them, I'd list Marvel movies)

• Like 1

Absolutely gorgeous and profound film.  Maybe I was a bit sarcastic about it being deserved to be viewed and a temple and how it made me want to rip a raw liver from a buffalo and eat it whole.

But, I won't lie.  The movie really transported me, and I just felt myself going cold the whole time as it left me captivated.  With the cinematography, with Leo's performance, with the raw power I was able to feel from it.

I could see how some people may have found it pretentious, but Inarritu's attitude aside, I didn't find the movie to be.  I honestly found it profound.

The idea how the Native Tribe hunted and tormented Leo until he finally learned to let go of revenge, and leave it to God (or nature, however you want to interpret it).  He chased his past, but it wasn't until he saved another that he truly got redemption in his revival.  So many strong images, giving you time to contemplate, and just gaze upon some of the most beautiful filmmaking I saw all of last year.

Chivo earned his 3rd Oscar with this, and Leo has again earned one (whether or not he'll get it).  Probably one of Leo's finest performances, if not his finest.  It's like he finally understood in this movie, that he needs to leave Oscars to God, and just become an artist.

Maybe this film is just tripping me out, but I loved it.  I may make an addition to my best of 2015 list, because it earned it.

A (No plus, because despite his talent, Inarritu is a pretentious prick)

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, The Panda said:

The idea how the Native Tribe hunted and tormented Leo until he finally learned to let go of revenge, and leave it to God (or nature, however you want to interpret it).

But... he didn't really. I mean, deciding you're going to let go of revenge after you've chopped off a dude's fingers and gut-stabbed him (not to mention letting him drift off to the Natives to let them finish the job) isn't letting go at all. 

• Like 6

I thought it was a terrific film but not an epic one.  The first 30 minutes and the last 30 were a different film all together.  The middle of it just dragged to me.  I don't think it needed to be quite as long as it was but and if they could have cut maybe even 15 minutes from the film, it would have flowed a bit better imo.  While I don't think this was Leo's all time best performance, that doesn't take away from how good he was.  I think his performance in Wolf of Wall Street is one of the ten best performances in film history so to say this one isn't his best isn't saying it's a bad performance, far from it, it's just Leo is so good that his past performances have just been that legendary.  But to give him credit, he had to learn another language, he had to endure crazy weather elements, he had to carry to film when there was nothing but his actions and no dialogue and to convey what he felt he had to show us most of the time, not tell us, that alone makes it a terrific performance.

I don't understand Mr. Pink's objection to him getting inside a horse carcass.  It made perfect sense at the time.  

I liked the movie a lot, I just think it needed some trimming.

8/10

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Telemachos said:

But... he didn't really. I mean, deciding you're going to let go of revenge after you've chopped off a dude's fingers and gut-stabbed him (not to mention letting him drift off to the Natives to let them finish the job) isn't letting go at all. 

it is artistically speaking.  Because he didn't decide to let go of his revenge until after he gut-stabbed him and chopped off the dude's fingers.

The ending was Glass having his cake and eating it too. He got the primal satisfaction of tearing the shit out of Hardy's character while taking the "higher ground" and not actually killing him himself.

There are things about this movie you could complain about and I wouldn't argue with you, but overall I found it a transportive experience, and you really feel the hell Glass goes through even if there's nothing particularly deep or profound about it.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

The ending was Glass having his cake and eating it too. He got the primal satisfaction of tearing the shit out of Hardy's character while taking the "higher ground" and not actually killing him himself.

He didn't seem that satisfied to me, the revenge felt hollow (as it should I think) - "it won't bring back you son" - indeed, it doesn't.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baumer said:

I thought it was a terrific film but not an epic one.  The first 30 minutes and the last 30 were a different film all together.  The middle of it just dragged to me.  I don't think it needed to be quite as long as it was but and if they could have cut maybe even 15 minutes from the film, it would have flowed a bit better imo.  While I don't think this was Leo's all time best performance, that doesn't take away from how good he was.  I think his performance in Wolf of Wall Street is one of the ten best performances in film history so to say this one isn't his best isn't saying it's a bad performance, far from it, it's just Leo is so good that his past performances have just been that legendary.  But to give him credit, he had to learn another language, he had to endure crazy weather elements, he had to carry to film when there was nothing but his actions and no dialogue and to convey what he felt he had to show us most of the time, not tell us, that alone makes it a terrific performance.

I don't understand Mr. Pink's objection to him getting inside a horse carcass.  It made perfect sense at the time.  

I liked the movie a lot, I just think it needed some trimming.

8/10

I don't have any objections to what the character did in the context of the film, I was speaking more to the fact that Leonardo Dicaprio claims he actually slept in a dead animal carcass for the film.

Which for the spirit of acting, might be a hair overdoing it.

• Like 4

Just saw it. First 80 minutes are perfection, middle section could have been cut almost completely, and even though the last 30 minutes are good, it doesn't reach the greatness of the beginning. Hardy was a lot better than Dicaprio, which was good but nothing special (doing suffering faces and eating raw meat doesn't equal great acting in my book). Still, The Revenant is a quite unique, specially for a tentpole, movie that deserves to be seen in theaters. Also, it's one of the most brutal movies I have ever seen.

I preferred Birdman, TR is about on par with 21 and Babel.

70/100

3 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Another scene that was pretty harrowing: Glass realizing he needed to cauterize his neck wounds and then doing it. Honestly not sure how they pulled that off

Yea well Sly did it better in Rambo III :)

• Like 1

LOL @ all the "profound" assertions. This film is not only devoid of substance, but painfully so. It may aim for profundity, but it fails in miserable fashion. It's a film that requires full immersion into Glass. Quite frankly, I was having trouble giving a rat's ass.

Inarritu clearly knows his way around a camera, but I'm confident in saying he doesn't know the first thing about telling a story. 

• Like 2