druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

Weinstein:
The Hateful Eight      $4,536,591    --           100    --       $45,366    $4,536,591    
Carol                       $1,070,000    363%    180    164     $5,944    $2,854,311    
Macbeth (2015)             $43,120     -67%      30    -67     $1,437        $804,383  

Sony Classics:

Son of Saul                    $33,302    -12%        4     1       $8,326          $33,302    

9 minutes ago, misafeco said:

155M is still mindblowing number for a 2nd weekend. This record can stand for 10 years easily. The OW record will fall sooner i think. The drop is especially good considering the huge previews.

155m would be a mind blowing 1st weekend number for a lot of films

• Like 1

All I want is for this film to cross $1 Billion domestic.

Passing:

8)Doctor Zhingavo ($1.035B)

7)Jaws ($1.068B)

6)The ten commandments ($1.093B)

$1.1 Billion

5)Titanic ($1.130B)

4)E.T ($1.183B)

3)The sound of Music ($1.188B)

$1.2 Billion 

-------------------

Are all just bonus achievements that would be cool.

I personally think its going to hit somewhere between $1.0B-$1.1B to get to the top 6,7 or 8 films of all time adjusted.

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Weekend estimates are already coming in? Man did I sleep in :lol: 

Nah, I think they are early, see all movies listed = they only have at max 180 locations. Shouldn't be that difficult to count those, especially as I assume the most of those are modern / big city cinemas

On Friday, December 25, 2015 at 9:11 AM, No Prisoners said:

I have been more optimistic than the average here.  I was certain it would hold better than avatar on 24th and maybe -25% at that.and hoping it would be over 30m. Mite be a little short. Movies skewing older hold better and I'm sure some of the older crowd that avoided the weekend and finally had a day off took it in.

I may be falling below the average this weekend however. I don't see as many shows listed as the first this weekend. Nor as many sellouts. With 5 new openers they wont be able to add more show on other screens. the hateful 8 will have some large screens.  I think it starts to deviate from avatar a bit. Avatar was on just half the screens and had a snow storm OW. With the demand building it was an easier feat to increase like many movies do. The demand is still there but with 48m tix sold the the fatigue will start to show at some point. I doubt it can match any of the days from last weekend with all the extra shows and hype and hold avatars holding pattern. I still think it gets over 150m but not the 170-190m some are saying like Bom and many here. 

Xmas is a big day but not for the early shows.

50m 

58m

51m 

159m

Still a fantastic number

Well I've read a lot of whining as I thought. It's right in line as expected for reasons mentioned above. 155-160m is great weekend.  With 100m in new competition and less shows, it couldn't have done much better at these already super lofty levels.

Avatar will be feeling blue by the 3rd or 4th.

1B is gonna happen.

SW7 will be the first movie to sell 100m tickets since titanic.  With the 10%+ drop in annual BO tickets sold since then due to piracy, home theater improvements, and quicker 2nd market release, it's fucking remarkable.

:bravo:

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Caesar said:

Sherlock Holmes is a franchise, a movie like that is likely to have a higher percentage of demand on it's OD yet it dropped by a smaller percentage than Joy, it was also the record for a Christmas day and was far bigger than Joy's OW will be. Also everything around Sherlock Holmes increased that year.

Let's say you're right though, Joy follows the pattern of Sherlock Holmes, is that a success if it becomes one of David O. Russell's lowest grossing movies, you're multiplier would have this just reaching above 60M, I'd hardly call that a victory.

This is a very confusing post for me, particularly the last part.  First off, if it did hit 60 million, which I think is a forgone conclusion at this point, it would be right in the middle of DOR filmography.  The budget for this is a reported 60 million, so if it hits somewhere around 120 WW, with home video it should turn a profit.  Joy is a MUCH harder sell than any of the new releases because it truly is being sold only on J. Law's name.  The marketing has been kind of confusing in regards to what the film's subject matter is.

A few posts down you mention PB increasing from Friday to Saturday, (a film with a 100 million dollar budget that won't make HALF of that back) as a point of reference, but then you question this film's performance?  I also don't think we can seriously discuss WOM on an adult demo film from one day to the next, that just seems absurd to me.  With an overall rotten score, VERY crowded playing field, and muddle marketing, I think Joy is doing just fine.  And if she gets an Oscar nom to go with the GG I think this will probably push for 80-100.  

1 hour ago, Caesar said:

True Grit held well actually for the comparable movies. Django and Les Mis both dropped hard and in line with their comparable movies. I will give you Benjamin Button but that movie had an unusual story, I would expect it to take time for it to gain attention from WOM, definitely an outlier. What you're missing though is that on this particular date a Friday Christmas followed by a Saturday Boxing Day, movies don't typically drop and if they do it's only a small percentage. It doesn't matter what has happened other years when the dates are different, what matters is this year when two movies that did slightly smaller business that Joy managed to increase and a movie that had a far greater opening managed a far smaller drop minus previews.

I'm just saying that Joy is acting different than I would have expected. This is supposed to be a feel good movie for the holidays, it's targeting the demographic which isn't interested in the other movies opening, it's a very easy sell.

Personally I don't like extrapolating an entire run based on two days estimates, but in my experience when a movie is showing early signs of being front loaded (especially when it's a movie that shouldn't be) then it's going to be front loaded. Not always of course (as mentioned Benjamin Button didn't follow this theory) but history suggests that Joy is going to be front loaded. I hope it's not (it seems like it's an appealing movie), but it seems the most likely possibility at the moment.

I would disagree with this vehemently.  I'm a HUGE lawrence fan, and I like DOR and I do not truly understand what this film is going to be about.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Aehm not sure about the correct words, I do not do downloads or ???

Is on demand not the same as digital copy?

= I mean the possibility to watch the movie via the internet before the disc versions get released = usually 3-4 weeks or so earlier

On Demand is streamed through a cable provider, usually around eight to $10 per 24 hour rental if it's still in theaters.

digital download means you own that copy forever, either through iTunes or ultraviolet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim Shorts said:

On Demand is streamed through a cable provider, usually around eight to $10 per 24 hour rental if it's still in theaters.

digital download means you own that copy forever, either through iTunes or ultraviolet.

Found a website, not sure about the source as I do not know them

Release Date + iTunes

The Star Wars: The Force Awakens DVD release date is estimated for early 2016, and the Star Wars: The Force Awakens digital release on iTunes, Google Play and other services may arrive shortly before the DVD.

This is what you need to know about the digital Star Wars: The Force Awakens release, DVD release, Blu-Ray release and where you can pre-order Star Wars: The Force Awakens now.

The Star Wars: The Force Awakens release date is only in theaters now, but there is already a huge push for the digital and DVD release that will happen next year.

This is what you need to know about the Star Wars: The Force Awakens DVD release date, pre-orders and where to buy a digital copy of the new Star Wars movie.

Version Release Date Estimate Price Estimate
Star Wars: The Force Awakens iTunes 3/15/2016 $19.99
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Digital 3/15/2016 $14.99
Star Wars: The Force Awakens DVD 4/5/2016 $19.99
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Blu-Ray 4/5/2016 $29.99
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Rental 4/5/2016 $5.99
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

I think it's way too early to attribute it's drop (which was minimal) was down to WOM. 

What did you say when True Grit, Benjamin Button, Django Unchained, Les Mis all dropped on the 26th? 

Sure they all did bigger business first day, but the same logic applies. 

I don't think anyone can say with any kind of certainty what Joy's WOM is after 24 hours. 

Joy's audience rating on Fandango and RT fell to 59%. It wouldn't surprise me at all if a lot of audiences weren't liking the film like they did with SLP, and AH, but I'm only making a guess at this point.

SW7 is probably following the Frozen pattern. Honestly, I'm partially surprised they're not releasing it earlier to coincide with Easter (on the 27th of March), so if they're reelasing it in early April, they might as well wait a wee bit longer, but I guess it doesn't matter. The amount of money Frozen lost by releasing early was absolutely minimal compared to its final total.