druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

30 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

The truth. She is a draw. This wouldn't be doing 20M+ OW if it wasn't for her. I wouldn't know what the movie is about if it wasn't for this forum :lol: 

Isnt' that the same for any star though? Plus David O Russell is a major director now. His films are always must-see's. Joy's solid opening doesn't surprise me in the slightest personally. 

• Like 1

Just now, DMan7 said:

How is the OS looking compared to other blockbuster movies? Is it breaking records in various territories because all I've been hearing is this breaking records domestically.

It's destroying records in the UK. 

Way out infront of every other territory. It's doing great everywhere, but not as spectacular as in Britain. 

• Like 1

Star Wars is massive in places like UK and OZ and is doing huge business in most places it's opened. Even in South/Latin America its doing huge business. I only go into the International section is very sparingly but if you want to see how it's doing country-by-country just go there and read the threads. 2 billion in my opinion is a foregone conclusion. I don't think it will reach avatar worldwide but at this point you never know.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

It's destroying records in the UK. 

Way out infront of every other territory. It's doing great everywhere, but not as spectacular as in Britain. 

Just in the UK? Is it breaking records in other territories? Breaking the Avatar record is now dependent on how well it can beat it in international territories. Looks like it's going to make around 1B domestically but it needs over 1.5B+ OS to really stand a chance at beating Avatar now.

Edited by DMan7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ddddeeee said:

Hopefully the 'nobody sees a movie for J-Law' crowd can take a seat because that movie has been sold as 'J-Law: The Movie.'

Yeah honestly, it looked liked marketing wanted to hide the fact that it's about a women who invented the miracle mop. Opening on-par with American Hustle is a big win for the studio. 

Concussion opened on par with other Will Smith dramatic vehicles, and the budget was surprisingly only 35m, so that's going to end up doing pretty good too.

• Like 1

Well my "gut" feeling about Christmas getting a big family bump was off. I think I underestimated how some theatres have less showtimes on Christmas day.

The good news is today should see a nicer increase (20%) to 60 million and a 52 million Sunday that's bigger than Christmas. That would put it at 161 and that is officially ridiculous for weekend #2.

• Like 5

I don't think many people really believe or believed that Star Wars would ever touch avatar worldwide. I have never thought it would reach that high. I don't see how it does. But in my opinion it can definitely get past Titanic to get to number two worldwide which is around 2.2 billion.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

How is the OS looking compared to other blockbuster movies? Is it breaking records in various territories because all I've been hearing is this breaking records domestically.

Depends on the country.

Suggestion:

here in the forum is also an International sub-Forum.

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/forum/41-international-box-office/

It has not only a lot of per country threads (a lot of those dicussing the SW 7 BO's the last few pages), but also an international SW 7 thread. A lot to learn there...

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/17547-star-wars-episode-vii-the-force-awakens-4024-m-overseas-7659-m-worldwide/

(btw, someone might want to adjust the title there?)

Beginning 9. January 2016nlocal time the BOs in China will be here to find (and discussed):

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/678-china-box-office-general-discussion-thread/?page=1

Estimates and the reason why.. is already ongoing.

Some additional background data for franchises in China:

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/20440-franchisesbrands-box-office-in-chinese-market/

• Like 2

All i ever knew about Joy is that she likes to fire a gun. Thats it. The marketing did not reveal any of the story and just expect people to go see it because jennifer Lawrence is in it. Obviously that is working because the movie has opened fairly well and will continue to play while over the holidays. It's definitely a movie that you were going to see because of her and maybe because of the director and maybe because it reunites her with two of the cast mates from SLP

Great for SW. I guess the bump was just never going to be as high as normal with the insane weekdays. Still going to destroy the 2nd weekend record and get at least 150m. That's <40% drop from the biggest OW ever, including the insane previews. It could still very easily do a <20% drop minus previews. Insanity. Great for everything else as well. Headed for one of the biggest total weekends ever.

Edited by Jayhawk the Hutt
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TriggerMike said:

Don't feel like reading through these pages. So will someone tell me what the most recent number was?

See thread title, $49.4m for Friday = extrmely good for X-Mas as at least part of the cinemas opened late and/or closed early for the holiday and....

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

It means Silver Lininings Playbook 2.0 and just watch the screener at home. 

Not sure why you want to watch an incomplete screener movie.  Somebody already mentioned its missing scenes in the final cut.

12 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Star Wars is massive in places like UK and OZ and is doing huge business in most places it's opened. Even in South/Latin America its doing huge business. I only go into the International section is very sparingly but if you want to see how it's doing country-by-country just go there and read the threads. 2 billion in my opinion is a foregone conclusion. I don't think it will reach avatar worldwide but at this point you never know.

Episode 8 or 9 will definitely take the BO crown from Avatar.