druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

16 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:
14 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Says someone who said AOU will make 580 M dom and that JW won't touch 1 B overseas.

And for the record, though I underestimated this last weekend my accuracy was 94.5%. I also predicted 169 M for the second weekend which won't be that off.

Lol you need to chillout.

Was just using STar  Wars lines. 

13 minutes ago, Jessie said:

That's because star wars is an action film really, through and through. Your average woman simply don't care for it. If Disney thought casting a female as the main lead will automatically make women want to watch a star was movie then they are just completely out of touch.

It's not like she's just there for the sake of it. Ridley gives a great performance and the character is written well. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Hell, the fact that my dad went to go see Star Wars in theaters and he hasn't gone to a theater in years till now tells me the same thing as ddddeeee. He loved it btw, which equally shocking to me since he's pretty cynical about movies. 

I wish my dad would give it a chance. He refuses to go see it cause he "never got into" star wars. 

32 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Hopefully the 'nobody sees a movie for J-Law' crowd can take a seat because that movie has been sold as 'J-Law: The Movie.'

The truth. She is a draw. This wouldn't be doing 20M+ OW if it wasn't for her. I wouldn't know what the movie is about if it wasn't for this forum :lol: 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

2 billion will happen without china I think

1 minute ago, Clef Ment said:

It will finish close to $1B DOM, even if it does 0 in China it will be at more than $1.5B WW.

Is OS tracking that high?

Unfortunately OS grosses I suck at tracking/predicting. (typical american I guess).

1 hour ago, tokila said:

We already knew that SW traditional demographic was male and over 25. Those are the people who showed up on the 17th and 18th in droves. I would Be more interested to see a breakdown starting the 19th and beyond. 

That would tell us more about the legs TFA will have, and whether or not it is succeeding in reaching other demographics. I suspect that TFA is very successful with every demographic but females over the age of 25 (I still see situations where a dad brings his kids ages 8-16 to the movie but mom stays at home because she is not interested). 

Basically I think Star Wars will never reach the Lifetime/Hallmark movie demographic. And I really hope they don't try.... 

1. on OW a lot of the audience was female and over 25y old = one of the reasons the average is such strongly another than the OD average

2. aehm... it's X-Mas: a lot of moms... were morr than happy to shove dad and kids out of the house to get the time to wrap the presents and do other work were a lot of people prefer to not have others around.

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

I underestimated SW last weekend. I overestimated it this time.

I think based on the different rules and traditions (see e.g. Baumer's post about starting the showings at 15:00 o'clock), and at which dates in which region even is a public holiday... and the more or less non-existing compareable to X-Mas / Friday.... and so on datas makes it exceptional difficult to predict anythin. My guess: a few days into the first week without any holidays the predictions will be more accurat again

55 minutes ago, Joel M said:

So Star Wars is "helping" the other movies instead of killing them, just like Avatar. All the movies are doing great.

Daddy's Home is HUGE. It's gonna be the biggest comedy of 2015.

Joy with smaller cast, terrible reviews and no oscar buzz is doing American Hustle numbers.

The Big Short also gonna do close to 20M for the 5day.

Hateful Eight doing great numbers in limited release, holdovers like Sisters, Alvin, Creed increasing, even Concussion and Point Break which always looked like the most likely to bomb will do more than many thought.

It's not just spillover, maybe when there's a huge recod-breaking movie everone's talking about, it makes people go to the movies more frequently.

I posted last and this year repeatedly statement of cinemaowners about that. One of their theories is: a trailer seen in a cinema is more impactful, in times with no big interest into the actual movies less people will see trailers in a cinema and so on.

To them it seems to be a point of great concern, interesting stuff do read (association...)

19 minutes ago, Jessie said:

That's because star wars is an action film really, through and through. Your average woman simply don't care for it. If Disney thought casting a female as the main lead will automatically make women want to watch a star was movie then they are just completely out of touch.

O man, you are soooo wrong. But as I am pretty sure you already read my explanations and hints about the differences between OD and OW... and this is only a repeat of the same discussions during MCU movies... is it possible that details seemingly confirming personal experience has a bit stronger impact into your awareness than those that disprove / weaken those? I hope this formulation doesn't appear arrogant or downspeaking to you, I am really only trying to give a hint that there might be a reason for missing details not matching to your POV?

4 minutes ago, K1Rey said:

I'm still eager to see how China does: That'll be the difference of making around 1.5B or over 2B.

The Good Olive thinks $150m

• Like 2