baumer

Star Wars TFA Tuesday Actual: 29.5M !!! (-6%)

Just now, The Futurist said:

1B is a 4 multiplier, right ?

Seems like a tall order though.

900m would already be an incredible performance.

The best multiplier for a record opener is 3.51, I think.  That would put SW at 865 million.  We all know it's going to cruise past that.  A 4X would put it in ridiculous territory and that multiplier, for a record weekend opener, might not be matched for a long long long time.

• Like 4

Probably noted somewhere recently, but Harrison Ford will overtake Samuel L. Jackson as the highest grossing actor ever sometime this week. Ford's cumulative BO earnings will soon cross $4.6 billion to take the top spot from SLJ. Ford has appeared in 27 fewer movies than Jackson and has been the lead in a much higher percentage of his 41 films. I recall Ford holding this title for a long time after Last Crusade; good to see him back on top, even though I generally enjoy SLJ's work, also. But there's really never been a box-office draw quite like Ford before.

• Like 6

So with Deadline reporting 29.3 as the estimate - that has generally been within 50-100K - that would be an excellent Tuesday, a drop in line with Avatar's second week and TFA's first week.

Given the slightly depressed ticket prices due to Discount Tuesday (I had a colleague take her whole family last week on Tuesday and get $5 tickets and so they decided to do it again last night) if it holds similar to Avatar 2nd Wednesday and TFA first Wednesday that would suggest a flat Wednesday (in a best case scenario even a little gain). 

More people should be off today than yesterday due to NYE being Thursday so I am hoping for a flat or slight increase (though the model i am using assumes a 5% decrease).

I don't think 100 is anywhere close to locked for this weekend (or 1B total - have to wait to see how it performs after the holidays to get a sense of that - though that Tuesday ups my model's prediction to 987), though an aggressive model would make it quite possible. My conservative model currently has it at 90.9M this weekend after the 29.3 Tuesday(which incidentally would be the biggest weekend ever in Jan topping American Sniper).

The fact we can have a legit discussion about $1B and it not be a farce is amazing. I'd give it about a 35-40% chance of making 1B DOM, but if it somewhere squeezes out a 100M weekend that might tip it over 50%.

• Like 1

Just now, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

Wednesday surprised me last week by increasing so it very well could. I probably should listen to you, you've been pretty spot on reading the weekday grosses :D

I just have theories.  They have served me well thus far.....but who knows if I'm right or not...I just think that because the grosses are so big everyday, that the discounted Tuesday price brings the gross down and not up, simply because people aren't staying away on regular weekdays and then planning to go in bunches on Tuesday......this will of course change next Tuesday.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, John Harris said:

But there's really never been a box-office draw quite like Ford before.

I don't know about that. He is Indy and Han Solo, those are the draw. He co-created (and acted) those roles, so he should be given credit for that, sure.

4 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

The best multiplier for a record opener is 3.51, I think.  That would put SW at 865 million.  We all know it's going to cruise past that.  A 4X would put it in ridiculous territory and that multiplier, for a record weekend opener, might not be matched for a long long long time.

But record breaking OW rarely happen in December.

So we're in uncharted territory.

19 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Yea. Just didn't see if anybody here mentioned it.

see p.9 Deadline = 7h ago, 1 or 2 pages later a repost of the same link, and I think your link too was mentioned.

Not a critizm, I know how difficult it can be to 'work' through the BO threads to check for it, I missed myself too those posts from time to time...

= only information as you seem to have - in way - asked about it.

If interested: I sometimes find the post via the time stamp of the tweet = search for the page ~ the time, often those 'longed' for information often gets rather quickly posted, if not immediatly usually within the next 2 hours or so. There are always exceptions.

If the discussion is lively ... sometimes a lot of pages to check. Mostly not so many.

Have fun!

• Like 1

Also keep in mind even though this will not stay in theaters nearly as long as Avatar- that has little effect on its final gross.

Avatar's First run gross is 749.8 (they released a SE edition on Labor Day weekend that got 11M to get its final gross to 760).

They basically left it in theaters forever even though it wasn't making any money

It had 595.8 at the end of Jan (79.4% of gross). it made 286.9 in Jan

At end of Feb it had 706.6 (94.2% of gross), if made 110.8 in Feb.

At the end of Mar it had 741.1 (98.8% of gross) if made 34.5M in March

At the end of April it had 746.8 (99.6% of gross) it made 5.7M in April

The next 3 1/2 months it made another 3M. 

So even though TFA will likely exit theaters at end of march or in April as DVD comes out, it is only going to give up 2-3% of potential gross max.

• Like 3

Caught a matinee yesterday with a couple friends.  Theater half full with lots of kids.  

It occurs to me that this movie plays incredibly well to children.  Much better than Avatar did.   In an empty family market place until the arrival of KFP3, this fact is bound to help the already unprecedented legs this movie is showing.