Gopher

Gopher's Top 10(ish) Films of 2015

Great list, as expected. Just tried to see Carol but it was sold out. Boo hiss. Still need to see Carol, Revenant, Room, Love and Mercy, and Beasts before I can be confident making my list. Excellent work, Goph, even if I'd disagree on a few placements and positions (for instance, I really didn't get the hype for It Follows. It's super well-shot and made but the characters kinda sucked and I just didn't feel it all. Like a B- movie for me. But I understand why people do like it). 

I don't think those six worst movies are on the same level of quality as the other, but all six reflect movies that set out to do something big and totally fail IMO. 

I honestly saw Phoenix on a whim over the summer because a friend of mine liked Petzold. Knew nothing about it/its reception. Still one of the purest movie experiences I've ever had. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Gopher said:

I don't think those six worst movies are on the same level of quality as the other, but all six reflect movies that set out to do something big and totally fail IMO. 

I honestly saw Phoenix on a whim over the summer because a friend of mine liked Petzold. Knew nothing about it/its reception. Still one of the purest movie experiences I've ever had. 

Phoenix is a great film and it's a shame Hoss won't be nominated for Best Actress, especially considering who will probably be nominated.

• Like 1

Wish I could join the unabashed Phoenix love but man did I find the story contrived as hell. It's powerful on a metaphorical level, but not on a literal one, with the exception of the ending which sent me into full-body shivers even though I could plainly see that the entire narrative was constructed specifically for it.