#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

3 minutes ago, lilmac said:

I thought about this earlier today after looking at ANH's adjusted numbers and tried doing the math in my head. 

TFA is still mighty impressive when adjusting for population.

Alot of those first run dollars, I believe, are through 1977 but also 1978 and 1979. Also you didn't have blu-ray and pirating which eats away at boxoffice receipts. 

It's a testament to the staying power of the year brand. 

Boxoffice $ is just a portion of the money that's being made off of TFA. Can you imagine the leverage KK has with tv/streaming services not to mention merchandise??

ANH is the bigger box office phenomenon, but there's no doubt in my mind TFA will make a ton more money overall.  Disney is a revenue machine. 

49 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I remember the initial release of Star Wars and I can assure you that it was the biggest movie of my experience, which goes back to 1974. Regardless of what the numbers say, in terms of sheer first-run cultural dominance, the biggest movies of the past 40 years are:

1) Star Wars

2) ET

3) Titanic

4) Jaws

And that's also what is singular about Titanic: It is the only movie in the past 30+ years that had the kind of run and cultural dominance that put it in the same class with Star Wars/Jaws/ET. Nothing else, not even Avatar, has been in the class. And within that class, Star Wars (1977) was the clear #1.

I think WW Titanic is no doubt No.1 Other alltime giants made the same or less from OS market, but Titanic made twice as much as DOM. It's one thing to become the DOM king because you need to deal with one culture one country, but Titanic got tested by every country, every race, every culture, and it dominated EACH ONE OF THEM, and it is a much much greater achivement.

If we see a film's boxoffice run as it conquering the countries, Titanic surely has conquered this planet.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, upprdeck said:

i dont know how places are doing Sat, but our local theater said they are dramatically busier today than what they had fri.   sold out every show from noon to 4 with huge lines of people waiting.  they said triple the business from what they say friday. 

I'm just back from my second viewing of TFA (I seldom see a movie more than once in a theater - just don't have the time) with some colleagues and spouses.

Was a 2:45 show that was basically completely full. 2D, metro Atlanta.

Have no idea what the number will be today, but it was doing strong business at the complex I visited. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Alot of those first run dollars, I believe, are through 1977 but also 1978 and 1979.

I already researched it and found an article from 1997 saying that 1977 was $221.3m,  1978 was $43.8m, 1979 was $22.5m and 1981 was $17.2m. (There's about $2.46m of the official pre-1982-reissue $307,263,857 figure that's not accounted for in those numbers, but whatever...)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Indeed, what's happening right now with TFA is the direct product of this cultural phenomenon that was Star Wars in 1977. It made this all possible.

Exactly. TFA is riding a wave of nostalgia. The success is a direct result of the longing to return to that world and to see old familiar faces, not the result of the movie in and of itself. Of course had it sucked it would not have made a billion, only 800m, case in point, TPM (adjusted). ;)

Edited by Elessar

Even though its easy with 10 dollar tickets to get a huge gross, however with 900-1 billion SW7 sells such a number of tickets it sort of belongs at that all time ticket seller level.

However its not at the Titanic ET and Star Wars 77 level. 

• Like 1

It always amazed me how well the 1997 Special Edition rereleases did. ANH broke the January record and was number 1 for three weeks and knocked off the top spot by ESB Special Edition. Only thing that has come close to what those rereleases was The Lion King 3D which did $30m in September 2011

14 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Even though its easy with 10 dollar tickets to get a huge gross, however with 900-1 billion SW7 sells such a number of tickets it sort of belongs at that all time ticket seller level.

However its not at the Titanic ET and Star Wars 77 level. 

I think Star Wars 77 is its own level.  The other three you can argue about market conditions and whatnot, because they're not separated by much when adjusting for inflation.  Particularly if you look at their first runs only. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lilmac said:

I thought about this earlier today after looking at ANH's adjusted numbers and tried doing the math in my head. 

TFA is still mighty impressive when adjusting for population.

Alot of those first run dollars, I believe, are through 1977 but also 1978 and 1979. Also you didn't have blu-ray and pirating which eats away at boxoffice receipts. 

It's a testament to the staying power of the SW brand. 

Boxoffice $ is just a portion of the money that's being made off of TFA. Can you imagine the leverage KK has with tv/streaming services not to mention merchandise??

That's the biggest thing selling this movie , brand and franchise power. Not the movie itself. The movie is good, not great. Rose tinted glasses blind people to the big time flaws of this film. I'd say when it's all said and done, this will be the most hated Star Wars movie outside of TPM

Edited by Sagemode87

2 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

That's the biggest thing selling this movie , brand and franchise power. Not the movie itself. The movie is good, not great. Rose tinted glasses blind people to the big time flaws of this film. I'd say when it's all said and done, this will be the most hated Star Wars movie outside of TPM

I never would have known your opinion had you not posted just now. ;)

And also, it's pretty hubristic to assume that everyone will automatically gravitate toward your opinion.

• Like 8

Yo I don't know if you know this, but the new Star Wars movie is big because of the brand

It's hard to believe, I understand. But trust me. People like the Star Wars brand, and came out to see the new one accordingly

That's why it's so big. The brand

I know you all thought it wasn't because of the brand, and I hate to break it to you, but it was

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It always amazed me how well the 1997 Special Edition rereleases did. ANH broke the January record and was number 1 for three weeks and knocked off the top spot by ESB Special Edition. Only thing that has come close to what those rereleases was The Lion King 3D which did $30m in September 2011

Yeah....that was totally amazing and unexpected.I recall it being the first time I ever walked up to buy tickets and having something be sold out hours in advance.

I was so upset to have to wait until Saturday to see it!!

6 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

Oh ok

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Yo I don't know if you know this, but the new Star Wars movie is big because of the brand

It's hard to believe, I understand. But trust me. People like the Star Wars brand, and came out to see the new one accordingly

That's why it's so big. The brand

I know you all thought it wasn't because of the brand, and I hate to break it to you, but it was

I don't believe you.

HELP1.jpg

• Like 2