#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

1 minute ago, VenomXXR said:

Even at $35 million (which I think will turn out to be a bit low), we're still on target for right at $100 million I believe. I think Sunday's hold will be a bit stronger than historical holds.  It's first Sunday was historically strong, as was NYE. I'm thinking this goes 36-39-26 for $101 million. My derby prediction was a little over $98 million so I'm feeling pretty good about it so far :D

Unfortunately, Hateful 8 is killing me this weekend <_< 

Avatar had much better Sunday holds in its first two weekends, and even Avatar was down almost 33% in its third Sunday (which was the lowest drop by almost 10% in the Top 12 that year). I don't really see Star Wars doing much better than a 40% drop on Sunday. 

• Like 1

Well, glad to know that the pot smokers with 20M+ for Hateful 8 were wrong... if it had opened in wide from the get go maybe (as seen by the total of 26-27m) but not the last minute crazy ass release they ended up with.

And 35m is just fine - goes well with my 94m prediction.... FOR ITS 3rd Fing Weekend!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wilfred said:

Hateful Eight will not have anywhere near the legs Django or Basterds did. It lacks the star power and is frankly, nowhere near as good as those two films were. QT had his fanbase turn out for the Roadshow but I imagine mainstream audiences will find the film needlessly overlong. That is definitely good news for The Revenant, though that is still going to be a tough sell. 

I agree that it won't have near the legs of those two films. However, I for one think it is better than both of those films. 

• Like 1

Hateful Eight was legitimately one of the worst movies of the year. I think "pile of shit" is actually too nice of a phrase to use to describe it. No stars, F-, garbage filmmaking. Pretentious, overly long, pointless, and I'm glad to see it underperforming. I hope nobody gets suckered into seeing that turd. Every other Tarantino movie is at least a B+.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wilfred said:

Hateful Eight will not have anywhere near the legs Django or Basterds did. It lacks the star power and is frankly, nowhere near as good as those two films were. QT had his fanbase turn out for the Roadshow but I imagine mainstream audiences will find the film needlessly overlong. That is definitely good news for The Revenant, though that is still going to be a tough sell. 

Hateful Eight is almost as long as Return of the King... theres no fucking way I'm sitting in a theater more than 3 hours for a fucking Tarantino picture.  Netflix/Redboxing this one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Empire said:

I agree that it won't have near the legs of those two films. However, I for one think it is better than both of those films. 

Honestly, quality or not. I think its release date plan and change by Weinstein kinda ruined its box office.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Empire said:

I LOVE Basterds but only Tolerated Django so I am hoping when I finally get a chance to see this that I like it - if its more akin to Kill Bill in scope such as a couple friends of mine have said then it sounds like I will.... But I don't see it being a 100m hit (sadly.) Even thought we need them.

1 minute ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Honestly, quality or not. I think its release date plan and change by Weinstein kinda ruined its box office performance.

It certainly makes it's legs harder to gauge with the weird widening it had.

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

It certainly makes it's legs harder to gauge with the weird widening it had.

I'm thinking 65m finish, which would be respectable considering the budget is lower than Tarantino's previous films (44 million).

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

Last "perspective post" before I turn in for the night.

Remember this number?  84,617 Mill

Yep, that was the previous December opening weekend record.

SW is going to smash that number in its third weekend.

This film is a monster.  

8952-6905.gif

• Like 15

9 minutes ago, kswiston said:

Avatar had much better Sunday holds in its first two weekends, and even Avatar was down almost 33% in its third Sunday (which was the lowest drop by almost 10% in the Top 12 that year). I don't really see Star Wars doing much better than a 40% drop on Sunday. 

Well the drop I gave it was bigger than the drop Avatar had, though not quite 40% (34%). 

1 minute ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

I'm thinking 65m finish, which would be respectable considering the budget is lower than Tarantino's previous films (44 million).

Yeah, put it in the Kill Bill range gross wise but we would still be talking his lowest ticket seller since Jackie Brown (not counting Grindhouse of course.)

Just now, narniadis said:

Yeah, put it in the Kill Bill range gross wise but we would still be talking his lowest ticket seller since Jackie Brown (not counting Grindhouse of course.)

Well Grindhouse counts technically, but yeah, kinda shame really.

1 minute ago, Baumer Fett said:

This film is a monster.  

@Baumer Fett truly is a mindblowing figure when you think about it.... Reminds me of the awe that existed after New Moon's OD# came in.... Magnified over 15 days of course....

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Wilfred said:

Oh, HATEFUL is much better than BASTERDS. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

This film is a monster.  

8952-6905.gif

Fair enough!

However, I still want my 100 million third weekend! :)