#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

31 minutes ago, Rth said:

TFA 34.2,DH 11.2,H8 6.2,SIS 4.7,ALVIN 4.3,JOY 3.9,TBS 3.3,CONS 3,PB 2.6

That's wrong. You're supposed to drop by and say it's higher the DHD. 

However, I begrudgingly thank you. 

Edited by DeeCee

5 minutes ago, Caladbolg said:

34.2m puts on track now for $89-91m. Awesome for a 3rd weekend.

its only 40-45 million about JW's 3rd weekend, this is a serious issue.......

or not. 

That said the 1 billion dream is going to relying on TFA finding a point where its drops stabilize soon. A 40% drop next weekend and 25% drop (MLK) the next should be enough to keep it on a path to 1 bil. 

Edited by tokila
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

They'll just "borrow" from the next day or next few days. The studios monitor each other, and everyone has access to the same numbers, so if a studio tries to do it too dramatically, the other studios can cry foul (or, more likely, they'll leak some of their more accurate numbers to Deadline or Variety and expose the fudging).

Rth *is* the connections. I'm being serious, he does not have sources that give him estimates, he has access to the real-time raw data and extrapolates from that, same as the other sources that give estimates to Deadline or Variety. Plus he's been doing this for quite awhile, and really knows what he's doing. Why, you might even think he  could make a career doing this. :ph34r: 

He has access to to real time info. 

It's true. All of it. 

I've seen it. 

• Like 3

Bummed the holidays are over because I love this time of year but it sucks just a bit more this year since this weekend sort of feels like the "end" of the SW7 hype. It's still going to be making money for awhile that lots of movies would love to be making opening weekend, let alone their fourth or fifth weekends, but from pretty much the premiere night in Hollywood all the way through this Sunday, at least for me, it's been exciting as hell watching the hype build and then the buzz that "holy crap, we have a good Star Wars movie again!" kick in after reviews and general audiences started seeing it....it's weird, but like I said, it just feels like the hype will sort of end on Sunday.

But here's to more records being smashed and hopefully the run to $1 billion domestic will keep chugging along! The fact it still has an at least somewhat realistic shot at that happening goes to show how damn fun this has been to follow from opening night. 

Edited by DealWithIt
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, tokila said:

its only 40-45 million about JW's 3rd weekend, this is a serious issue.......

or not. 

That said the 1 billion dream is going to relying on TFA finding a point where its drops stabilize soon. A 40% drop next weekend and 25030% drop (MLK) the next should be enough to keep it on a path to 1 bil. 

Let's extrapolate forward a bit....

$745 million through January 3rd

Jan 4th - 10th = $95 million
Jan 11th - 17th = $60 million
Jan 18th - 24th = $50 million 
Jan 25th - 31st = $35 million

So we should be at $985 million by February 1st. I still think $1 billion is locked but the upcoming week, the first non-holiday week, will let us know for sure. 

• Like 2

In the realm of unlikely-but-still-fun-to-think-about ideas, here's one that's fun to imagine:

What if in about 2-3 months it looks like TFA will be heading for a finish in the 990-995 range? How awesome would it be if Disney said "the trailer for Rogue One will debut on April 8, but only in theaters with TFA, and not online for another 3-5 days"?

Would that work for you? Because it would totally work for me. I'd gladly go see TFA one last time in theaters to get a Rogue One trailer, and help it over the $1B mark.

Unlikely, but fun to think about.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, kitik said:

In the realm of unlikely-but-still-fun-to-think-about ideas, here's one that's fun to imagine:

What if in about 2-3 months it looks like TFA will be heading for a finish in the 990-995 range? How awesome would it be if Disney said "the trailer for Rogue One will debut on April 8, but only in theaters with TFA, and not online for another 3-5 days"?

Would that work for you? Because it would totally work for me. I'd gladly go see TFA one last time in theaters to get a Rogue One trailer, and help it over the $1B mark.

Unlikely, but fun to think about.

if it was within 5 million I bet Disney would just fudge it slowly over.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Caesar said:

The problem is that you're thinking about the plot in its most simple form. This movie wasn't sold as being about the Miracle Mop, it was sold as being about a woman down on her luck with financial and family problems who manages to pull herself out of those problems and becomes a success, made even better by it being a true story. This is a very easy sell, particularly since its key demographic is the one receiving the least attention during the holidays.

The fact is that the movie had a good OD, exactly what you'd expect and it seemed like it was on track to easily do over 100M, maybe even do more than American Hustle. Its just that the movie has had weak legs, something that was noticeable on it's second day when it had an usually steep drop.

Films like Joy are very dependent on reviews. Couple mixed reviews with an extremely competitive market right now and its not surprising that it is lagging behind American Hustle, which had really great reviews in a less competitive market. But this movie will keep making money through March. Personally I liked it better than American Hustle.  But I'm not sure what easy sell means in this case. It was not a broad commercial film (DOR films tend to be off center), it has divisive reviews and it is odd. More I Heart Huckabees than The Fighter or Silver Linings. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, straggler said:

As much as it pains me TFA will make about $900 million in the US at least. Would love for it to crumble but it won't. Unfortunately. 

Commiserations 

HAHA.... ok... I have no idea why you'd be rooting against such a fun film, but alright. That must suck. I remember watching Titanic steamroll every record and not being pleased about it, so I've been on the other side. Payback is a bitch, though, and after 18 years of waiting for Star Wars to sink the boat it finally happened January 1. So exciting. Next up is Avatar.

Avatar was last seen listening to Viva La Vida on loop, singing along to, "I used to rule the world, seas would rise when I gave the word. Now in the morning, I sleep alone. Sweep the streets that I used to own." lol

• Like 2