#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

So many posts confused and worried about the 19.8m figure.

They realise it will might not make $1b, this worries them because without $1.2b Dom it won't beat Avatar's 2.8b

No one thinks TFA is beating Avatar worldwide. 

• Like 1

Damn SW7's DOM and OS are running incredibly close.

Domestic: $740,265,583   49.0%

Foreign: $770,500,000   51.0%

It's gonna end up somewhere near 2BN without China, and it's up to China to decide whether SW7 will pass Titanic WW.

Edited by vc2002

6 minutes ago, SoSaysI said:

No one thinks TFA is beating Avatar worldwide. 

Oh I didn't realise that No one thinks TFA is beating Avatar worldwide, I guess it would be embarassing if they did now that you've said that.

Nah you're right definetely no one like that in here, right guys?

Anyway back to the matter at hand, when well we find out if Disney is lowballing?

4 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

I'm not sure that many people care about the WW record either. I know I don't.

damage control

Edited by IronJimbo

2 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

I'm not sure that many people care about the WW record either. I know I don't.

Its a nice record to have for sure, but domestic has always been the most important market for studios and cultural relevancy.

Domestic > WW

emot-patriot.gif

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Wow so many posts about Titanic/Avatar/admissions/inflation.   These are dark times for Cameron loons.

Dark times for us all. People gonna be spamming Honest Trailery videos about TFA for the next few months

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Dark times for us all. People gonna be spamming Honest Trailery videos about TFA for the next few months

If I had to guess you probably watched mr plinkett's TPM review and got scared for life, youtube now triggers you.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

If I had to guess you probably watched mr plinkett's TPM review and got scared for life, youtube now triggers you.

His review of Avatar was better since everyone already knew TPM sucked. emot-smug.gif

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

Where are we at in terms of admissions?  I don't remember Titanic admissions and am just wondering if we're expecting this to even come close by end of run.

Right around mid 70M.  It will pass Avatar's 75-76M attendance and 760M gross both this week and is looking to go over 100M for the total run.  Titanic did ~128M admissions, so it's going to need 1.25-1.3B to touch that.

EDIT: Just to clarify, referring to Titanic's first run.

Edited by spizzer
  • Like 2

• Community Manager
19 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

Adjusted for inflation, Titanic is number 5 all-time. I am absolutely amazed at what Star Wars: The Force Awakens is doing. This is super exciting. However, I have to put things in perspective. Star Wars: The Force Awakens will not surpass Titanic's domestic adjusted gross. Titanic's domestic total adjusted for inflation is more impressive.

True. Titanic will win the battle when adjusted for inflation. Of course, TFA's amazing run is at a time when ticket prices have increased and ticket attendance has gone down since 1997. The tickets are more expensive so it's making more money without inflation...but believe it or not, it's actually more impressive to me that a movie sells lots of tickets at the current price than when a movie sold lots of tickets when they were cheaper.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Hole in one, typo and all. Nailed me.

38 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

I expect it to drop about 20-25%.  The reason being is that this was a perfect storm.  The anticipation from everyone for this film was nothing like we have ever seen before.  You simply can't duplicate that.  Plus not everyone liked the film so there will be some natural attrition. Look at the original SW.  That film is loved by most today and yet Empire dropped 32%.  Why?  Was SW that hated or did it just set a pace that was unattainable.  

When you reach the zeitgeist like TFA has, the sequel has nowhere to go but down.  My guess for the final gross is about 1.05 billion and based on that I think the sequel opens to about 235 million and grosses about 800 mill.

Works for me!! Lol

Can Cameron fans/Star Wars haters shut up about Avatar WW already?  You sounds like a broken record.

Nobody thought TFA is gonna beat Avatar WW. 

How many times do we have to praise Avatar WW to make you feel better? We are not your baby sisters. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Baumer Fett said:

@SteveJaros is either the biggest troll on this site or he just doesnt understand how box office works. I'm going with the first one. I believe he is a troll because even the most basic rudimentary kindergarten level of understanding of box office and you would know that Star Wars will get past 900 million.

I think TFA's run has brought a number of trolls on board (just as I'm sure Avatar's run back in the day). 

• Like 2

Huh. TFA's going to be the first film to have both the OW and DOM #1 spots since Star Wars got the weekend with the '78 re-issue.

It also improved the OW record by about the same percentage as DMC did in 2006. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, bladels said:

Can Cameron fans/Star Wars haters shut up about Avatar WW already?  You sounds like a broken record.

Nobody thought TFA is gonna beat Avatar WW. 

How many times do we have to praise Avatar WW to make you feel better? We are not your baby sisters. 

I remember seeing people predict $3B WW for TFA.

• Like 2