WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

8 minutes ago, Baumer said:

But this is all opinion and did anyone think SIL would win?  Nope.  Did anyone think the Artist or Chicago would win?  Or the Reader would be nominated?

Nope.

Weinsteins rule!

Actually The Artist and Chicago were both pretty clear cut frontrunners from the beginning those years (in fact The Artist went without any opposition whatsoever). The Reader nom of course is shocking, but then again not so given the Academy's propensity for anything Holocaust related. SIL is a bit silly to talk about since we're talking like two decades ago now. 

• Like 1

WTF, why is Mojo not only doing a Revenant vs Inception comparison, but they're comparing their 17 day totals?  That's the most illogical comparison they've made so far, especially when there are easy ones like Lone Survivor, Shutter Island or Wolf of Wall Street

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

THE REVENANT: $20.2M Overseas Total / $59.75M Global Total

btw, that movie has a legally binding limit - here in Germany - to allow only audience to watch it who are at least 16 years old, no matter if with or without parents at the cinema.

THE PEANUTS MOVIE: $92.2M Overseas Total / $221.3M Global Total

JOY: $24.1M Overseas Total / $70.6M Global Total

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I try to understand your posts, but either the numbers are off or I do not understand it right. I know I do not  understand it completly

i should have post this to international box office thread, i'm talking about SW7 international market this weekend,excluding China

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Both The Artist and Chicago (the latter especially as it had everything going for it) were the clear frontrunners that year and it would've been more shocking if either film had not won. Shakespeare in Love winning over Saving Private Ryan was definitely a surprise, though.

Carol might be nominated, but it has as much of a shot at winning Best Picture as Jurassic World does (and we all know that movie won't even be nominated).

It should be. But the Academy is a bunch of old dying fools.

9 minutes ago, The Panda said:

WTF, why is Mojo not only doing a Revenant vs Inception comparison, but they're comparing their 17 day totals?  That's the most illogical comparison they've made so far, especially when there are easy ones like Lone Survivor, Shutter Island or Wolf of Wall Street

Oh god, has Keith Simanton taken over again? That sounds like one of his ridiculous showdowns. 

Shutter Island is definitely the obvious comparison. Similar release date and nearly the same OW. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Oh god, has Keith Simanton taken over again? That sounds like one of his ridiculous showdowns. 

No, the showdown is fine (well, take out Inception), he is comparing DiCaprio's biggest OWs (which are all in the same range, except Inception). The problem is the release pattern. All the others were wide on OW and The Revenant wasn't. 

• Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

No, the showdown is fine (well, take out Inception), he is comparing DiCaprio's biggest OWs (which are all in the same range, except Inception). The problem is the release pattern. All the others were wide on OW and The Revenant wasn't. 

Yeah, I get it on the expanded sense, but they really do need to take down Inception as the one chosen for the home page comparison. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, I get it on the expanded sense, but they really do need to take down Inception as the one chosen for the home page comparison. 

And they need to make another one comparing The Revenant with Lone Survivor and Taken 3, IMO. 

12 minutes ago, The Panda said:

It's actually a comparison against his four other biggest openers. Inception just happens to be the biggest. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=dicaprioopeners.htm

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

i should have post this to international box office thread, i'm talking about SW7 international market this weekend,excluding China

still seems off

JOY: $24.1M Overseas Total / $70.6M Global Total

ALVIN & THE CHIPMUNKS: THE ROAD CHIP: $36.2M Overseas Total / $111.8M Global Total

BRIDGE OF SPIES: $81.1M Overseas Total / $151.8M Global Total

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It should be. But the Academy is a bunch of old dying fools.

That's what the People's Choice Awards and MTV Movie Awards are for. Besides, Jurassic World isn't even among the 20 best movies of 2015 so no.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Not a fool proof indicator.

I believe for the last 8 years, PGA winner = Oscar Best Picture, it is definitely possibly for the trend to be broken at some point. but if a film is not even nominated PGA? That certainly sounds like a problem.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Wow, Leo can sell anything.   I did enjoy the movie but Leo drawing power should never be questioned after this.   Great weekend.   Star Wars is mortal afterall with this drop but it's making history domestically with every new dollar. 

No one is infallible when the movie itself doesn't look at all appealing (like J. Edgar).

Edited by filmlover