WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

23 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Damn that's a fucking hard drop for Hateful8. Its gonna make less than Kill Bill 2. What happened?

I think it's tough to sell movies where antagonists and protagonists are not well defined. There is no one to root for/against in the promos as all are hateful. Even having one well defined good main character and/or one well defined bad one gives coherence to the trailer. Maybe Jackson was supposed to be that guy but the marketing doesn't make it clear.

Also, maybe he should have made a non-western after Django and then re-visited the genre.

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Natalie Dormer DA DRAW!!!! 11M for the Forest is almost more insane than The Revenant pulling 35M+ OW. DiCaprio is gonna take over the box office. 

Really? There have been other horror movies released at this time period that opened with much higher numbers.

56 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Welcome back to Earth, B.

;):P

I was never not on earth.  Every film you used as a comparison had TFA getting close to a billion.  ROTK, TTT, Hobbit and so on.  So it might not have been realistic considering how much it made in its first 17 days but it was far out of reach.

I am surprised that it is going to fall north of 50%.  I thought it would really have a strong weekend to get close to 50.  

But I guess when you burn off that much demand that quickly, there's only so much more you can do.  

I do expect some favourable drops in the weeks to come.  Hoping next weekend is in the mid to high 30's.  Getting 900 million is locked.  I'd like to see it hit 930 million, that would give it a 3.75X and by far the biggest multiplier of any previous opening weekend record holder.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The Hateful Eight had a poor release strategy. 

No offense Cjohn, but I get annoyed with comments like this, not just from you, obviously, but this happens with so many posters.  Before the film came out, no one said shit about this kind of thing.  Now that it is under performing, everyone has reasons why.  Where were these reasons before it came out?

Some films work, some don't.  There isn't always blame to go around.  I don't think this release strategy was bad or the marketing was poor.  Maybe the story just didn't appeal to people.  Maybe the actors didn't appeal to people this time around.  Basterds had Pitt, Django had Dicaprio, two of the biggest movies stars in the world.  Hateful 8 didn't really have anyone really bankable except Tarantino.

In fact, you take out Basterds and Django, and his last four films averaged exactly 50 million.  So maybe the lesson here is that Tarantino has a following, but it's more niche than anything else.  In order for his films to really exceed, you need a big name.  Maybe next film he should get Denzel and Christoph Waltz to do the film together.

This is why I never predicted any numbers for Episode 7 and said the only benchmark that mattered to me was passing RotS adjusted. Y'all are going crazy with this 900m or 1B and Avatar mortal combat nonsense.

• Like 3

Yeah, I'm a little surprised at the big drop off for TFA, but in retrospect it makes sense.  The movie's become the biggest movie of all time Domestically in less than 3 weeks, only so many people can/will see a movie in theaters (especially in the modern era) and TFA is testing the modern cap.

It also is coming off over a 90m 3rd weekend (that was a Holiday as well).  A smaller drop is harder to maintain.  Especially since even the smaller movies are dropping hard this weekend.

It also has 45-50m in new direct competition from The Revenant and The Forest.  It's not the holidays, so new competition is going to hurt.

You can't compare it to anything in terms of legs, because there's no proper comparison.  Avatar wasn't even at 400m at this point, there was plenty of room to go before you reached the threshold (that we don't really know what) of everyone who was going to see it, saw it.

It doesn't say anything about WoM (as it's its third weekend, and had impressive drops the last two weeks), it just says it burned off a massive amount of demand over the holidays and has to come back down to Earth at some point.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Baumer said:

No offense Cjohn, but I get annoyed with comments like this, not just from you, obviously, but this happens with so many posters.  Before the film came out, no one said shit about this kind of thing.  Now that it is under performing, everyone has reasons why.  Where were these reasons before it came out?

I have been saying the movie had a poor release strategy since Wednesday of last week... First it was supposed to come out wide on the 8, then they moved to January 1 3 weeks before, then they moved to December 31 1 week before and then they moved to December 30 one day before. I only realized the movie was already out when I came to the forums on that day. That is just all around nonsense by Weinstein. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I have been saying the movie had a poor release strategy since Wednesday of last week... First it was supposed to come out wide on the 8, then they moved to January 1 3 weeks before, then they moved to December 31 1 week before and then they moved to December 30 one day before. I only realized the movie was already out when I came to the forums on that day. That is just all around nonsense by Weinstein. 

I still think it has more to do with the story, the trailers and who is in it...but that's just me.