WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Star Wars loses Large Format screens at most theaters (or has to share them) next week with 13 Hours and Ride Along 2 releasing in those screens. That will hurt the hold more than anything else as the average ticket price will reduce.

If Nut Job could open to 25M 4 day, Norm should manage 20M or so over the 4 day weekend for sure.

Norm looks super cheap and it is getting dumped in 2300 theaters with shitty/non-existent marketing. The Nut Job visually looked fine, it was released in 3400 theaters, and it had a big marketing pushed.

• Like 1

out of the THR article = was in part written earlier, see future form of China release...

(Jan. 9, 7:45 a.m. Updated with Friday numbers.)

The Revenant and Force Awakens are now in a dead heat for the weekend crown, with both films expected to gross in the $37 million-$38 million range. Some have Revenant narrowly winning; other show Force Awakens pulling ahead.

Heading into the weekend, The Revenant was tracking to gross in the $20 million range. Force Awakens was expected to earn $40 million-$50 million, but like other many other Christmas titles, is falling steeply this weekend (60 percent)

... sometime on Saturday in becoming the first film to ever cross the $800 million mark ...

Also this weekend, Force Awakens will march past the $1.669 billion grossed worldwide by Jurassic World to become the No. 3...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-revenant-topples-star-853170

31 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You're a monster.

Well, 5 might be wishful thinking, kinda like a billion for SW, but it is the goal.

• Like 3

Just now, DarthWalker said:

Never thought I'd see star wars dethroned by a no good dirty cbm hater

You have said this 5 times in the past few pages already. You seem to forget that everyone has opinions, if Inarrittu hates CBMs, that is his right. You derive entertainment from CBMs, continue watching them and enjoying yourself, do you need his validation to do so?

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

Well, 5 might be wishful thinking, kinda like a billion for SW, but it is the goal.

I'd make TBS the priority. Top 3 of the year for me easily. I think you'd really like Room too. Was surprised on Trumbo. Only went for Heisenberg, but ended up really enjoying it. 

Variety has e.g. this to say:

Underlining Leonardo DiCaprio’s star power, “The Revenant” is heading for a better-than-expected $35 million to $40 million this weekend in a potential showdown with box office magnet “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.”

“The Revenant” grossed an impressive $2.3 million in Thursday night preview screenings as it expanded from a successful four-screen run that began on Christmas Day to 3,371 site on Friday. Recent expectations had been for a weekend in the $20 million range domestically for “The Revenant,” or less than half than the fourth weekend of “Star Wars.”

Friday estimates showed “The Revenant” with $13 million to $15 million on Friday, which will likely edge  the 22nd day of the seventh Star Wars movie. “The Force Awakens” is still expected to win the weekend with nearly $45 million.

some details ybout the other movies too:

https://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-leonardo-dicaprio-revenant-star-wars-1201675322/

1 minute ago, Frozen said:

Am I reading this right? The forest made almost $5 million on Friday? I thought it would make that the entire weekend. 

Margaery Targaryen. Her power. 

Natalie-Dormer-Sexy-2016-450x338.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Focus Features is now called Gramercy. That is hilarious. 

Gramercy is a different unit of Focus that releases horror titles like The Forest (they also released Insidious 3 under that label last year). It actually began under Polygram Films in the 90s until they shut their doors and became to USA Films (which would later retitle itself Focus Features) and is now being revived as a specialty unit.