Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

My predictions:

Picture: Spotlight

Director: Inarritu

Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio

Actress: Brie Larson

Supporting Actor: Sylvester Stallone
Supporting Actress: Rooney Mara

Original Screenplay: Spotlight

Adapted Screenplay: The Big Short

Animated: Inside Out

Cinematography: The Revenant

Editing: Mad Max

VFX: Star Wars

Sound Editing: Sicario

Sound Mixing: Star Wars

Production Design: Mad Max

Costume Design: Cinderella

Makeup: Mad Max

Score: The Hateful Eight

Song: Writings on the Wall

The Revenant and Mad Max lead with 3 wins. Brooklyn, Bridge of Spies, and The Martian will be the only BP nominees to win nothing.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

My predictions:

Picture: Spotlight

Director: Inarritu

Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio

Actress: Brie Larson

Supporting Actor: Sylvester Stallone
Supporting Actress: Rooney Mara

Original Screenplay: Spotlight

Editing: Mad Max

Song: Writings on the Wall

The Revenant and Mad Max lead with 3 wins. Brooklyn, Bridge of Spies, and The Martian will be the only BP nominees to win nothing.

Nice ones but if Innaritu is winning director I see the revenant getting BP as well

• Like 1

There really is a backlash growing on twitter, and they have my sympathy.

Most of it is for Straight Outta Compton only getting nominated for its two white writers, and Creed only getting nominated for its white supporting actor.

The backlash didn't make sense last year, because yes David Oyelowo got snubbed because the Academy didn't see his movie, there was a fair amount of people of color nominated outside of the acting categories.  As well as black/minority centered best picture nominee (Selma), despite the Academy not seeing it on time to nominate it elsewhere.  Plus, last year just felt like a fluke of an overly white year.

The backlash this year makes sense and is deserved (especially when they already got backlash last year).

There were plenty of minority films (or films with a large presence of minorities) that were Oscar worthy, and none of them got in.  Even for picture.

Example, 

I didn't see Compton so I can't judge, but it was clear it had support in the guilds, but it missed for everything except for writing (and surprise, the writing nominees are white)

Creed (a great film that definitely deserved more love) missed for everything, but its white supporting actor.  Out of the nominees we got, Coogler getting in for director over one of the noms (besides Miller) or an adapted screenplay nom over Brooklyn, Martian, or Carol would have been worthy.  Michael B. Jordan gave a better performance than all of the Best Actor nominees except for DiCaprio and maybe Fassbender.  Heck, even Tessa Thompson was arguably better than McAdams (plus Vikander and Mara shouldn't have been competing in that category anyways).

Beasts of No Nations, while a Netflix film (which shouldn't be a reason not to nominate something), proved it had some guild support and was worth consideration in a number of categories.  I love Hardy, but Elba was most definitely stronger in Beasts than Hardy was in Revenant, I also would say he was stronger than Ruffalo.  Abrahamson was young, and had no chance, but it is worth mentioning he was easily better than Redmayne (who got nominated for bad performance, the movie being an awards baitsy film and Redmayne being an award baitsy actor was the only reason Redmayne was considered).  Cary could also have gotten in for screenplay over Brooklyn.

Not to mention, there is room for 10 nominees, and there were only eight.  There was room for one of those films to get in, if the Academy wasn't predominantly old white males who aren't necessarily racist, but don't really relate to some of the minority films so they don't nominate them.  

I'm not saying all of those nominations should have happened in actuality.  I am saying, at least one of those nominations could have happened to give this years top awards a little more diversity.  As the only diversity there is Inarritu, who already won an Oscar.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I had The Revenant in but went with Spotlight, I think the lack of a Screenplay nomination is going to hurt it.

I think it could be this year's TITANIC and win BP actually.  TITANIC won without a BS nom

Just like ARGO won without a BD which statstically is a bigger hurdle for a win

Edited by MinaTakla

My predictions

Picture: The Big Short

Director: McKay

Actor: DiCaprio

Actress: Larson

Supp Actor: Stallone

Supp Actress: Mara

Original Screenplay: Inside Out

Editing: The Big Short

Song: If It Happened To You

As for how my nomination accuracy was

Picture - 6/8 (Missed Room and Brooklyn)

Director - 4/5 (Missed Leny)

Actor - 4/5 (Missed Redmayne)

Actress - 3/5 (Missed Rampling and Lawrence)

Supp Actor - 3/5 (Missed Hardy and Ruffalo)

Supp Actress - 4/5 (Missed Vikander)

Original Screenplay - 5/5

Adapted Screenplay - 4/5 (Missed Room)

Cinematography - 3/5 (Missed Hateful Eight and Carol)

Costume - 3/5 (Missed Carol and Danish Girl)

Film Editing - 4/5 (Missed Star Wars)

Make up - 2/3 (Missed 100 Year Old Man)

Production Design - 3/5 (Missed Danish Girl and Revenant)

Score - 4/5 (Missed Sicario)

Song - 3/5 (Missed Manta Ray and Earned It)

Sound Editing - 5/5

Mixing - 3/5 (Missed Revenant and Bridge of Spies)

VFX - 4/5 (Missed Ex Machina)

Animated - 3/5 (Missed Marnie and O Menino)

So I got 70/101 nominations

If I counted my alternates, then it's 79/101

42 minutes ago, The Panda said:

There really is a backlash growing on twitter, and they have my sympathy.

Most of it is for Straight Outta Compton only getting nominated for its two white writers, and Creed only getting nominated for its white supporting actor.

The backlash didn't make sense last year, because yes David Oyelowo got snubbed because the Academy didn't see his movie, there was a fair amount of people of color nominated outside of the acting categories.  As well as black/minority centered best picture nominee (Selma), despite the Academy not seeing it on time to nominate it elsewhere.  Plus, last year just felt like a fluke of an overly white year.

The backlash this year makes sense and is deserved (especially when they already got backlash last year).

There were plenty of minority films (or films with a large presence of minorities) that were Oscar worthy, and none of them got in.  Even for picture.

Example, 

I didn't see Compton so I can't judge, but it was clear it had support in the guilds, but it missed for everything except for writing (and surprise, the writing nominees are white)

Creed (a great film that definitely deserved more love) missed for everything, but its white supporting actor.  Out of the nominees we got, Coogler getting in for director over one of the noms (besides Miller) or an adapted screenplay nom over Brooklyn, Martian, or Carol would have been worthy.  Michael B. Jordan gave a better performance than all of the Best Actor nominees except for DiCaprio and maybe Fassbender.  Heck, even Tessa Thompson was arguably better than McAdams (plus Vikander and Mara shouldn't have been competing in that category anyways).

Beasts of No Nations, while a Netflix film (which shouldn't be a reason not to nominate something), proved it had some guild support and was worth consideration in a number of categories.  I love Hardy, but Elba was most definitely stronger in Beasts than Hardy was in Revenant, I also would say he was stronger than Ruffalo.  Abrahamson was young, and had no chance, but it is worth mentioning he was easily better than Redmayne (who got nominated for bad performance, the movie being an awards baitsy film and Redmayne being an award baitsy actor was the only reason Redmayne was considered).  Cary could also have gotten in for screenplay over Brooklyn.

Not to mention, there is room for 10 nominees, and there were only eight.  There was room for one of those films to get in, if the Academy wasn't predominantly old white males who aren't necessarily racist, but don't really relate to some of the minority films so they don't nominate them.  

I'm not saying all of those nominations should have happened in actuality.  I am saying, at least one of those nominations could have happened to give this years top awards a little more diversity.  As the only diversity there is Inarritu, who already won an Oscar.

Were Straight Outta Compton or Creed ever really considered major Oscar players, though (especially Compton given that it was a summer release with a cast of unknowns)?

While I agree that Creed deserved much more, the academy has ignored Rocky since the first one.  So I'm not sure its a race thing.  As for Compton, it was good, no doubt, but not best picture worth imo.

I'm just thrilled that Stallone got in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Giesi said:

Am I the only one who misses Oscar Isaac on the nomination list? He carried Ex Machina! #OscarforOscar

He was screwed.  Hardy making like a psycho Gabby Hayes/Yosemite Sam mixture was considered more worthy or rather just swept along in the Revenant tide, the way Revenant was supposedly worthy for Production Design when nature did all the fucking designing necessary.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Were Straight Outta Compton or Creed ever really considered major Oscar players, though (especially Compton given that it was a summer release with a cast of unknowns)?

Creed was at one point, but MMFR started to get more support from the critics circle so WB campaigned there.

Too bad, though. Creed was better than half of the BP nominees.

Yeah, Hardy was definitely this year's coattail nominee. I wasn't a big fan of his performance in The Revenant (there were times where I thought he was pretty good and others where I thought he was doing a Dick Dasterdly impression), but happy that he has received recognition after being here and there the past few years and then having a really big year in 2015.