Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

6 minutes ago, All about Eve said:

Ice Cube was a guest on the Graham Norton show on the BBC. He was asked about the Oscars controversy and gave such a dignified response you can't help but respect the man.

It's on YouTube and deserves millions of views.

Interestingly Will Smith was announced as next week's guest prompting a sharp intake of breath from the studio audience that sounded pretty negative. The Smiths are not going to come out well from this.

Will Smith has gone down in popularity over the past few years-he has gone from the one everyone loves to one people really don't like.

I did read a stat about how about 20% of the nominees over the past 15 years have been Black, they were saying now? Also quite a few minorities have been nominated in other categories.

I can careless what celebrities think though, they all right now seem to be huge ego-maniacs who make too much. (Stop getting so political Hollywood!)

3 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i dunno what's so un pc about the revenant. 

I'm guessing it's Inarritu inventing Leo's Indian wife and kid out of thin air just so they can get killed off and serve as nothing but motivation devices for him. Then there's the moment later when the movie has an Indian woman get raped for no other reason than to give Leo a heroic moment. I'm not terribly bothered by either thing but I'm not a fan either.

• Like 3

give leo a heroic moment + they can end the movie with the training day thing where those latino gangsters don't kill ethan hawke cos he saved one's cousin from getting raped. but with a native american tribe.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 6

Meh the Oscar controversy is just getting dumb and annoying at this point and am getting tired of reading it.
They may have caused more people to watch it though in the process!

Okay now-if DiCaprio was not the frontrunner for actor-who would win? I really have no clue to be honest.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Impact said:

Meh the Oscar controversy is just getting dumb and annoying at this point and am getting tired of reading it.
They may have caused more people to watch it though in the process!

Okay now-if DiCaprio was not the frontrunner for actor-who would win? I really have no clue to be honest.

Take it to the other topic, Impact. There's a whole other thing for discussion, before you start dismissing everyone's views. Take it where it belongs. 

Well last night I couldn't sleep so I randomly chose the Oscar winners with a good old fashion eenie meenie miney moe.

Can't remember all of the ones that I picked randomly, but Spotlight did a Mutiny on the Bounty and won picture and nothing else. While Cranston won actor.

I think this is the first time since 2006 that three different films won Best Drama at the Globes, Best Picture at BFCA, and PGA Film of the Year (I don't think we'll match 2006 of having a 4th film win BP at BAFTA. That year had The Queen and we don't have any high profile Brit film nominated this year).

Edited by 4815162342

6 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

I think this is the first time since 2006 that three different films won Best Drama at the Globes, Best Picture at BFCA, and PGA Film of the Year (I don't think we'll match 2006 of having a 4th film win BP at BAFTA. That year had The Queen and we don't have any high profile Brit film nominated this year).

I'd love it if BAFTA gave the big awards to Carol even if just to throw a ton of shade on the Academy. But it probably won't.