efialtes76

Weekend revised estimates and 4 days totals pg 43 4 day est: RA2: 41.6: The Rev: 39.0... SW7: 32.5

Ride Along 2 is the first film released in 2016 to be #1 this year. Although Ride Along 2 slightly decreased in its OW from  the original's OW 2 years ago. Ride Along 2 might play well for the next weeks but it might fall short of 100 million domestic total. The Revenant still holding strong and should be hold up well for the weeks to come. The Revenant should end its run with 155 million domestic total. Star Wars still shining and is getting close to 2 billion mark worldwide, Star Wars still has plenty of fuel to make it to 970 million total. 13 Hours did so-so and will probably be affected by the marketplace so the film might end its run around 45 million domestic. On the other side for Paramount, Daddy's Home still holding strong for a Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg film. Look for Daddy's Home to end it's run with close to 160 million. Norm Of The North tanked this weekend well below The Nut Job and Paddington during their respective weekends. With Kung Fu Panda 3 coming out in two more the weekends, Norm Of The North will make around 15 million domestic total. The Forest took an average drop for an horror film around this time of the year but is holding way better than Woman In Black 2, Paranormal Activity:The Marked Ones, Texas Chainsaw 3D, and The Devil Inside. The Forest should ends its run below 30 million. The Big Short still holding strong after Oscar nominations and should end its run with 70 million total.  Sisters still hanging on the top 10 this weekend and should ends it run with 90 million. The Hateful Eight is dying in comparison to Django Unchained, The Hateful Eight will definitely make around 55 million. 

• Like 2

I think the talk of competition is so useless. Movies always have competition. They dont get released into a bare marketplace. So saying movie A had more or less competition is useless. 

And following box office would be a lot more boring if they did

• Like 2

It never ceases to confound me though how many people want to always downplay competition as a factor in a movie's legs. Of course WOM is first and foremost the important thing in that area, but how can anyone say a light vs moderate vs heavy slate of competitor grosses have no difference between their effect on another big grosser? I mean Cameron himself would disagree, as it's why he adores the December releases, so he can have January and February mostly to himself. Though he may be in for a nasty surprise if he expects the same for Avatar 2, now that January and February have become far more viable months than they were just 6 years ago. 

I can't verify it right now but I'm sure Alvin 2 and Sherlock at least nullify the "light competition" argument for Avatar, and I'm sure there were other decent sized hits in there too.

Star Wars is a big hit and there's no shame in finishing with 950 mil as opposed to a billion.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

TFA #1 DOM

Everyone wins. Drinks all around!! :)

The best analogy is a relay race.

One of TFA's runners was the fastest but Team Avatar won the race.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I can't verify it right now but I'm sure Alvin 2 and Sherlock at least nullify the "light competition" argument for Avatar, and I'm sure there were other decent sized hits in there too.

Star Wars is a big hit and there's no shame in finishing with 950 mil as opposed to a billion.

I was never referring to Avatar's December competition being light though, just its January and February. And yes, 950 is really no less amazing than 1b when you get down to it. Box office is all about milestones though, and 1b DOM would have been the ultimate one, so that's why some of us cared. 

1 hour ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

So Force Awakens has now overtaken Empire Strikes Back as the second highest grossing Star Wars movie, adjusted for inflation-wise.....Only behind SW: EP4 "A New Hope"

Good job.

Adjusted:

Force Awakens: $856M

Empire Strikes Back: $845M

Next movie for Force Awakens to beat in terms of adjusted.....is Disney's 101 Dalmatians......and maybe Snow White...if it holds well or gets a re-release.

I was thinking if BO goes towards 950 Disney might give it a push to get that 1B milestone. It is possible we won't see a movie at this level for a decade or three. Carpe diem.

8 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

The best analogy is a relay race.

One of TFA's runners was the fastest but Team Avatar won the race.

Let it go Jimbo.   You've got to let it go.  

TFA beat Avatar in the USA, by a country mile. Avatar won globally in US dollars, again by a country mile. 

It's really difficult to compare the two markets.  Exchange rates are dramatically different, the global market has changed. You can make a compelling argument that TFA would have grossed $2.7B with 2010 ER.  You could also make a strong argument that Avatar would have grossed $3B WW if China's market was what it is today.  

But, in the end, that's not the point of this thread.  Take that argument elsewhere.  This a thread about domestic daily numbers and talk of TFA's domestic dominance is totally appropriate here.

Please stop trolling.  

• Like 12

TFA had a lot of repeat viewings in the first few weeks, but I'm not seeing many of those types of comments anymore. I think we saw front loading in the repeat views whereas phantom menace had repeats spread through its whole run

Avatar comfortably won the OS battle. You can argue about exchange rates but the fact is the 3D angle simply piqued universal curiosity in a way no movie has before. From a US POV it's also necessary to accept that SW just isn't quite the phenomenon around the world that it is in that country. A billion-plus overseas is still amazing.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Let it go Jimbo.   You've got to let it go.  

TFA beat Avatar in the USA, by a country mile. Avatar won globally in US dollars, again by a country mile. 

It's really difficult to compare the two markets.  Exchange rates are dramatically different, the global market has changed. You can make a compelling argument that TFA would have grossed $2.7B with 2010 ER.  You could also make a strong argument that Avatar would have grossed $3B WW if China's market was what it is today.  

But, in the end, that's not the point of this thread.  Take that argument elsewhere.  This a thread about domestic daily numbers and talk of TFA's domestic dominance is totally appropriate here.

Please stop trolling.  

Just because you don't like hearing it doesn't mean it's trolling, I think my analogy is extremely fair. Also you're telling me it's not the point of the thread like it hadn't already been derailed for the last 4 pages.

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I was never referring to Avatar's December competition being light though, just its January and February. And yes, 950 is really no less amazing than 1b when you get down to it. Box office is all about milestones though, and 1b DOM would have been the ultimate one, so that's why some of us cared. 

I guess I've never understood the obsession with milestones in any capacity. They're aesthetically pleasing and marketable, but I'm more interested in comparative achievements.

35 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Just because you don't like hearing it doesn't mean it's trolling, I think my analogy is extremely fair. Also you're telling me it's not the point of the thread like it hadn't already been derailed for the last 4 pages.

It's trolling because Tele (and other mods) have repeated their message a million times, and you flout that request more than anybody:

Let it go here.  Take it elsewhere.

• Like 13

5 hours ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Hey guys, could one reason for TFA's legs be that OW was deflated a bit by Christmas shopping?

That 247m OW was much lower than expected.  Unusually low gross for a December opening. Shopping must have had an impact.

• Like 9