terrestrial

Tuesday (19 January) actuals | Revenent 3.14 | SW7 $2.38 | Ride Along 2 $2.278 | 13h $1.84 | DH 702k | Big Short 573k | chart p.4 | major release date changes p.1

11 minutes ago, Jim Shorts said:

I'm also expecting this boxoffice weekend to take a hit by the snow storm predicted to cover most of the east cost Friday and Saturday.

New York is expecting 6-12 inches while DC can get anywhere from 12-33 inches!!

3 hours ago, RamblinRed said:

Yep, my model has it hitting 900 on Jan 31st as well and 950 the last weekend of March.

how much will be the earnings in the next 4 eeks with your model?

would you mind to show them week by week?

thanks!

1 minute ago, Jim Shorts said:

I'm also expecting this boxoffice weekend to take a hit by the snow storm expecting to cover most of the east cost Friday and Saturday.

Fingers crossed all stay dry and warm and without damaged cars/accidents. Here it's moderate for the date, only ~ 0 °F, could be worse.

4 minutes ago, setna said:

how much will be the earnings in the next 4 eeks with your model?

would you mind to show them week by week?

thanks!

You've got way stronger holds than I do. I have TFA's last million dollar days around the weekend of Mar.18-20 and that's when it crawls past $930M.

This December news is very interesting. December belongs to Star Wars for at least the next few years. Will any other blockbuster even try to go toe to toe with SW?

9 minutes ago, Jim Shorts said:

Apparently there's a chance we end up in a bulls-eye spot here in Ashburn.  Doubt it happens but we could go above mid 30s, which would be crazy for a single storm.  That's almost all of Snowmageddon's storms combined.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nilephelan said:

Scott Mendelson is out of his mind if he thinks Avatar 2 is going anywhere near that December 17th release date. 

Avatar may be an international smash hit, but it was a novelty in the United States.  It made an insane amount of money, but that was based off the new introduction of 3D into cinemas, and since then 3D has gone down in popularity in the United States.  

It will not have a repeat of the success it enjoyed in 2009, not even close in the domestic market.  

No, Avatar made as much money as it did because it was a damn good movie. If 3D was the reason, why didn't other 3d films make as much money? 

2 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

No, Avatar made as much money as it did because it was a damn good movie. If 3D was the reason, why didn't other 3d films make as much money? 

Avatar was when people realized 3D was legit awesome. 

3D is also the reason Alice exploded, IMO. And after that tons of bad conversions killed 3D.

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Avatar was when people realized 3D was legit awesome. 

3D is also the reason Alice exploded, IMO. And after that tons of bad conversions killed 3D.

I tried Alice out in the hope to get to see 3D again (me always without depth-perception, including whilst cooking,...), didn't work, had to leave early on the movie, got headache or dizzy or both, forgot.

Avatar teached me about 3D (only in good 3D cinemas, nowhere else), Alice about a 3D movie not always working = first disappointment

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nilephelan said:

Scott Mendelson is out of his mind if he thinks Avatar 2 is going anywhere near that December 17th release date. 

Avatar may be an international smash hit, but it was a novelty in the United States.  It made an insane amount of money, but that was based off the new introduction of 3D into cinemas, and since then 3D has gone down in popularity in the United States.  

It will not have a repeat of the success it enjoyed in 2009, not even close in the domestic market.  

There is only one way that Avatar's date will change and that's if it's not ready.

If you believe otherwise you're ignorant of James Cameron, are you from reddit by any chance?

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

There is only one way that Avatar's date will change and that's if it's not ready.

If you believe otherwise you're ignorant of James Cameron, are you from reddit by any chance?

Or. Because EP 8 is in DEC 17 now Avatar 2 will no longer be ready. Jimmy has not waited 8 years to finally get this out to launch it against freaken SW. 2017 would be 8 years, whats one more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RamblinRed said:

Frankly moving VIII to December seems like a good idea to me. Gives them 6 more months to work on it and puts it in the same spot as VII. I think spreading them out a little more will also help their grosses.

I'm also thinking they will re-release VII in from of it that winter.  

From your mouth to Kathleen's ears.

PS- while on the subject, Thank you Kathleen! You have definitely begun to make things right. In my opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tokila said:

Or. Because EP 8 is in DEC 17 now Avatar 2 will no longer be ready. Jimmy has not waited 8 years to finally get this out to launch it against freaken SW. 2017 would be 8 years, whats one more.

What do you mean by this? Isn't that what I said.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Some of you are still operating under the assumption that an Avatar 2 will come before James Cameron croaks.

“Christmas of ’17 is the target…At least, that’s what we’ve announced. But I don’t consider that to be as important as the fact that when we get all three films done, we drop them a year apart. I call it a meta-narrative that runs across the three movies. Each film stands alone, but it also tells one much larger story.”

“We have design more or less finished, which is an enormous task. It’s been about a two-year task. [We’ve finished] all the creatures and the landscapes, and the new worlds within the world of Pandora that you see. The writing is ongoing, but almost finished. Technical development is done. Stages are done. Infrastructure. So we’re really poised to start after the first of the year,”

-Jimmy C

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

What do you mean by this? Isn't that what I said.

no what I am saying is that Avatar 2 is moving regardless. They may say they needed one more year but only you, and a few others on here will buy that.

I bet sometime this summer they lock in that DEC 2018 released date stating that is when they projected it will be complete and up to the standards they expect.

In other words we wanted this out in DEC 17, but Star Wars is there and we did not invest all this money into the project only for SW to suck all the wind out of its sails. But they would never come out and say that.

So yes you will be correct, only if you really believe what they put out.

1 minute ago, tokila said:

no what I am saying is that Avatar 2 is moving regardless. They may say they needed one more year but only you, and a few others on here will buy that.

I bet sometime this summer they lock in that DEC 2018 released date stating that is when they projected it will be complete and up to the standards they expect.

In other words we wanted this out in DEC 17, but Star Wars is there and we did not invest all this money into the project only for SW to suck all the wind out of its sails. But they would never come out and say that.

So yes you will be correct, only if you really believe what they put out.

Oh...

15 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

1 hour ago, Jim Shorts said:

I'm also expecting this boxoffice weekend to take a hit by the snow storm expecting to cover most of the east cost Friday and Saturday.

A little precip. does not dissuade Star Wars fans. Could we win Saturday? :) Drive carefully!

PS-- every time someone buys a ticket to TFA, they personally set a new record. Just saying. :):)