Travod

Oscars Discussion - Nominations in First Post - Red Carpet Time!

The academy seems to think that's a good thing for some reason. They prefer passion over consensus.

The thing is though, for all we know something like Drive for example could have had less than 5 percent of first place votes, yet 90 odd percent of voters could have had it in second. That would mean there's still passion for it.

I really am intrested to see how Billy will handle Loud and Close in his intro-he never has had a film like this to have jokes about during his intro.I do hope he makes comments on the subtitles in The Artist.

Here we had a craptastic year (for the oscar baiting films) and they still nominated 9 of them.

This is a perfect description of 2011. Coincidently, it also gave a line-up of big movies with a strong critical support (DH2, MI:GP, ROTPOTA, XM:FC, S8,etc). None of them made it. Just seriously fucked up and unfair since the failre of Oscar baits should have resulted in a goodwill for non-traditional contenders. Edited by fishnets

TDKR won`t make it even if it`s better than Citizen Kane. It`ll suffer from Potter syndrome which suffered from TDK syndrome - if your movie series isn`t AMPAS cup of tea they won`t drink it no matter what millions of people say. TH has a great shot because they nominated LOTR and obviously think that nominating/awarding that series makes up for snubbing all others. And Jackson&family`s unwashed hobos look makes everyone feel better about themselves unlike pretty college boy Nolan who only gives some inferiority complex.

Edited by fishnets

So I honestly think TDKR has a shot at a BP nod for next year.. what with the snubbing of TDK being the sole reason to force them to change the layout of BP nominations. So it's not that far fetched to me. BUT what I can't see it is a Director Nomination for Nolan... AGAIN.Anyone think he has a shot at a nomination? If Avatar can get Cameron a director's nom, why can't TDKR (if it lives up to the quality we are hoping for) get one? Especially after TDK and Inception?

There are too many what the hell is going on things here to name. Three that particularly stand out to me:Melissa McCarthy for Bridesmaids, what in the fucking hell?I'd normally understand Reznor being snubbed, he isn't really the Academy's cup of tea, but I'm baffled that they actually gave him Best Score last year for a soundtrack that sounds like shit compared to this one, and don't give this one any attention.And, Extremely Loud... I'm just going to leave that one alone.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

The thing is though, for all we know something like Drive for example could have had less than 5 percent of first place votes, yet 90 odd percent of voters could have had it in second. That would mean there's still passion for it.

It seems the Academy thinks you're only passionate for something if you think it's the best film of the year; which is complete BS, of course Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

14/2/12 PredictionsBest Picture: The ArtistAlt: HugoAlt Alt: The HelpBest Director: Michael Hazanavicius, The ArtistAlt: Martin Scorsese, HugoBest Actor: Jean DuJardin, The ArtistAlt: George Clooney, The DescendantsBest Actress: Viola Davis, The HelpAlt: Meryl Streep, The Iron LadyBest Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, BeginnersAlt: Max von Sydow, Extremely Loud and Incredibly CloseBest Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer, The HelpAlt: Berenice Bejo, The ArtistBest Original Screenplay: Midnight in ParisAlt: The ArtistBest Adapted Screenplay: The DescendantsAlt: Moneyball

Best Picture - The Artist

Best Actor - Jean DuJardin, The Artist

Best Actress - Viola Davis, The Help

Supporting Actor - Christopher Plummer, Beginners

Supporting Actress - Octavia Spencer, The Help

Best Director - Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist

Original Screenplay - Midnight in Paris

Adapted Screenplay - The Descendants

Editing - The Artist

Cinematography - Hugo

Art Direction - Hugo

Sound Mixing - Hugo

Sound Editing - War Horse

Costume Design - The Artist

Original Score - The Artist

Foreign Language Film - A Separation

Documentary Feature - Undefeated

Animated Feature - Rango

Visual Effects - Hugo

Makeup - The Iron Lady

Best Song - Man or Muppett

Live Action Short - Tuba Atlantica

Animated Short - The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore

Doc Short- Saving Face

What is the best film of 2011? Hugo

Best Picture - The Artist

Best Actor - Jean DuJardin, The Artist

Best Actress - Viola Davis, The Help

Supporting Actor - Christopher Plummer, Beginners

Supporting Actress - Octavia Spencer, The Help

Best Director - Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist

Original Screenplay - Midnight in Paris

Adapted Screenplay - The Descendants

Editing - The Artist

Cinematography - Hugo

Art Direction - Hugo

Sound Mixing - Hugo

Sound Editing - War Horse

Costume Design - The Artist

Original Score - The Artist

Foreign Language Film - A Separation

Documentary Feature - Undefeated

Animated Feature - Rango

Visual Effects - Hugo

Makeup - The Iron Lady

Best Song - Man or Muppett

Live Action Short - Tuba Atlantica

Animated Short - The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore

Doc Short- Saving Face

What is the best film of 2011? Hugo

I'd say Apes for visuals and Tree of Life for Cinematography but I agree with the rest.
  • Like 1

I'd say Apes for visuals and Tree of Life for Cinematography but I agree with the rest.

Same here. The only films I can envision swiping Picture away are The Help or Hugo, but it's very unlikely. Scorsese taking Director seems more possible. Edited by RichWS

There are too many what the hell is going on things here to name. Three that particularly stand out to me:Melissa McCarthy for Bridesmaids, what in the fucking hell?I'd normally understand Reznor being snubbed, he isn't really the Academy's cup of tea, but I'm baffled that they actually gave him Best Score last year for a soundtrack that sounds like shit compared to this one, and don't give this one any attention.And, Extremely Loud... I'm just going to leave that one alone.

Agreed on all counts, wtf happened this year? I mean the movies were bad enough but Bridesmaids/ELIC over HP8? I mean come on that's a joke