Travod

Oscars Discussion - Nominations in First Post - Red Carpet Time!

I completely disagree. If you've paid much attention to the Academy over even just the past few years you'd realize this year they definitely threw some curveballs.Overall they weren't as expected at all. Every major category has at lease one big surprise in it. Consider...Best Picture: EL&IC (biggest shock) and Tree of Life (minor shock, had no momentum but makes cut)Lead Actor: Fassbender snubbed in favor of Demian Bichir despite having every precursor.Lead Actress: Mara in, Swinton out.Support Actor: Albert Brooks snubbed despite precursors and loses his spot to a silent performance from EL&ICSupport Actress: Okay, no surprises here...Directing: Malick makes it in ahead of Fincher, Spielberg, others...Screenplay (Original): Margin Call, A SeparationScreenplay (Adapted): TTSS makes cut (minor surprise)

Out of those the only real surprise is the EL&IC inclusion. Possibly the Fassbender, but that wasn't a given either. I don't see any major, out of the blue things other than the EL&IC which I completely agree with you on.

Out of those the only real surprise is the EL&IC inclusion. Possibly the Fassbender, but that wasn't a given either. I don't see any major, out of the blue things other than the EL&IC which I completely agree with you on.

These kinds of surprises (minor, major, positive, negative etc) happen every awards season. But this year there were a lot more of them, and the EL&IC nominations are the most unexpected we've seen in a while.Sure, Mara getting in over Swinton is not a huge out-of-the-blue shocker, but it counts as a curveball without a doubt, especially when you consider precursors like the SAGs, BAFTAs, GGs, Critics Choice etc. Edited by ravon80

The Help and Descendants are out of the BP race. The Help didn't get director and screenplay, Descendants only got 5 noms, no best supporting actress, they rather gave a nod for someone for fat cow jokes and crapping in a sink. Hugo is the only film that can spoil The Artist's party, I really fancy Scorsese for BD.

Predictions. Best Picture - The ArtistBest Director - The ArtistBest Actor - George ClooneyBest Actress - Meryl StreepBest Supporting Actor - Christopher PlummerBest Supporting Actress - Octavia SpencerBest Original Screenplay - Midnight in ParisBest Adapted Screenplay - MoneyballBest Foreign Language Film - A SeparationBest Animated Feature - RangoBest Original Score - The ArtistBest Song - The Muppets "Man or Muppet"Best Art Direction - The ArtistBest Cinematography - The Tree of LifeBest Costume Design - Jane EyreBest Makeup - The Iron LadyBest Documentary Feature - PinaBest Sound Mixing - War HorseBest Sound Editing - DriveBest Visual Effects - Planet of the ApesBest Film Editing - MoneyballBest Short Film, Animated - La LunaBest Short Film, Live Action - The ShoreBest Documentary, Short Subject - Incident in New Baghdad.

The best picture category, actor, actress and supporting categories are a joke this year. Von Sydow for a mute in ELIC is one of the biggest jokes I've ever seen and so is the nomination for best picture. Hugo is good, but 11 noms, seriously? Come on.Hollywood is in love with itself, that's the only explanation as to why they are nominating movies about movies.

So true. That theme has been all over this year/award's season. Talk about narcissistic.

After seeing War Horse a convo with my dad and I:"Dang that 9/11 film looks depressing"Dad: "Yeah, I don't want to see that, and looks like Max Von Sydow couldn't remember his lines so he just writes yes and no on his hands":lol: Classic.

And I'm still in the early cats of the game-I have to do them all by hand this year since unlike previous they will come out in link form or messed up somehow. (The switch is not always the best choice either)

It's SASHA STONE REACTION TIME!!!!!!

They ask us to care about their choices, to watch their dumb show, to value their opinions but then they prove themselves to be so blind, year after year, that one really must shut down and become an automaton in order to cover the Oscars.

The way this race turned out, I’d say their experiment was a failure – and I’d rather choke down the bitter cock of five nominees than have to watch them go with a whopping nine and leave out Drive, Harry Potter, Tinker Tailor and yes, one of the best films of the year, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Hahaha. She's right though. Thanks for finding the quotes, I went to her Twitter but she's a machine, there's already about 1,000 tweets since the nominees were announced.

I got those from Awards Daily, I try to stay away from her cray-cray Twitter ramblings