WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Kung Fu Panda 3 - 41M, The Finest Hours 0- 10.3M, The Revenant - 12.4M...Sunday holds better than expected.....SW over 11 mill and KFP3 over 41 pg 34

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Lol if not for Panda this would be SUCH a typical January weekend. Dumps away, again.

You're very welcome.  I'm glad to save the the weekend.  I'm just a humble hero who graciously appreciates praise for my masterwork, box-office smash.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

You're very welcome.  I'm glad to save the the weekend.  I'm just a humble hero who graciously appreciates praise for my masterwork, box-office smash.

I'm seeing your movie tonight. Celebrate, The Panda.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

There's Bridge Of Spies even though that was under their deal with Dreamworks. 

I think mid budget fair in general is the hardest to make a profit on because the marketing costs are still high and the DVD market that used to really support it isn't there at that degree any more.

Bridge of Spies was a co-production with Fox and it did $160m on a $40m budget which is good for its budget and the subject matter. 

Mid budget drama has a harder time than comedies, only adaptations of bestselling books have done good business e.g. Gone Girl or biopics like Straight Outta Compton. 

Reminder: Send in your top 25 movies for 2015. PM them to me. One week to go.

http://deadline.com/2016/01/weekend-box-office-kung-fu-panda-3-finest-hours-fifty-shades-of-black-1201692571/

DreamWorks Animation’s Kung Fu Panda 3 is on its way to a $13M opening day and weekend that’s in the $44M-$45M range. That’s not too far from the opening of Kung Fu Panda 2 which played over Memorial Day weekend 2011. That film also posted a Friday that was $13.1M (if you add in its $5.8M Thursday — then you get $18.9M) and its 3-day take was $47.7M. Again, matinees will determine if this threequel cracks $50M.

Among the new titles, Disney’s Finest Hours is looking at a $4.5M Friday and an opening weekend in the low teens. Open Road/IM Global’s Fifty Shades of Black looks to whip $4M today with a $10M three-day. 20th Century Fox/New Regency’s The Revenant is also looking to gross $10M for the weekend, putting its cume through six weekends at $135.8M by Sunday.

Weinstein Co.’s release of Natalie Portman’s western Jane Got a Gun is playing on 1,210 theaters and is looking at a $400K Friday and a FSS of $1.3M per rival distrib sources.  More updates and analysis later this evening.

• Like 1