WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Kung Fu Panda 3 - 41M, The Finest Hours 0- 10.3M, The Revenant - 12.4M...Sunday holds better than expected.....SW over 11 mill and KFP3 over 41 pg 34

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Very early numbers.  Last week I think they had The Boy at $6m Friday early on.

It's possible - The Wedding Ringer and RA/RA2 (as well as other urban-oriented films outside of January) have shown the target demographic to have higher preview multipliers.  But yeah, it's early - it could still open to $7m.

Edited by Rolling Thunder

Solid early expectations especially for KFP3 it should hold up well until March. Fifty Shades that's a toss-up it could actually be a 3.5 million OD. Finest Hours is experiencing the bad case of releasing a delayed film to January.

That 4M number wont stick for 50 Shades. No way. This thing will drop to something like 3.2M for friday, and do around 8M for the weekend.

On the other hand, I could see finest hours sticking close to around 4.3M, for a 13M weekend. Sad that this is considered "overperforming" 

• Like 1

I'm not keen on Jeremy Jahns. Or any of those YouTube reviewers, really. They are the last people I would turn to in determining if I were to check out a film I was previously on the fence about. Call me old fashioned if you want.

• Like 1

For one person, a written review is better since you can edit it without anyone noticing. Usually the You Tube reviewers are reading off a script anyway so they come off as unnatural. For conversational reviews, though, audio or video is much better

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I'm not keen on Jeremy Jahns. Or any of those YouTube reviewers, really. They are the last people I would turn to in determining if I were to check out a film I was previously on the fence about. Call me old fashioned if you want.

I somewhat agree. I'd never decide whether to see or not to see a movie based on either Jahns' or Schmoes' or even Stuckmann's recommendation, because typically I don't always agree with them. But I will admit that they make some point just as good as any critic, and frankly, their reviews are more fun to watch than to read some review by an actual critic. 

Example: Jahns hated RIPD and basically ripped the movie apart. I saw it anyways, and while I agreed with a lot of his points, the film somehow worked for me.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-kung-fu-panda-860353

In a win for DreamWorks Animation, Kung Fu Panda 3 is off to a strong start at the North American box office, where it's trouncing the competition on Friday for a weekend debut in the $45 million range, according to early returns.

Elsewhere, Disney's Coast Guard adventure-disaster film The Finest Hours, starring Chris Pine and Casey Affleck, has hit choppy waters in its launch. The movie is expected to open in the $10 million to $13 million range from 3,143 locations, a disappointing start considering it cost $70 million to produce. Its theater count includes a berth in select IMAX theaters.

Spoof Fifty Shades of Black, spoofing Fifty Shades of Grey, is also opening in the U.S., where it's looking at a weekend debut in the $10 million range.

The weekend's fourth new offering is Gavin O'Connor's Jane Got a Gun, the long-delayed Western starring Natalie Portman, Joel Edgerton and Ewan McGregor. The $25 million film will have a much smaller footprint than the other new movies, with a theater count of 1,210. Like The Finest Hours, Jane got a Gun has hit choppy waters and may not clear $2 million for the weekend.

I like to look at reviews to see what the overall consensus of a movie is. I never let it stop me from seeing something that interests me. Although sometimes if the reviews are bad enough I'll wait for Redbox. 

Edited by Rman823

2 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

It's possible - The Wedding Ringer and RA/RA2 (as well as other urban-oriented films outside of January) have shown the target demographic to have higher preview multipliers.  But yeah, it's early - it could still open to $7m.

Wedding Ringer wasn't really urban oriented, it just had a black man as the star.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

A lot of those people feed on what exactly their audience wants. They don't differ from the norm because that brings them megabucks.

Just now, department store basement said:

A lot of those people feed on what exactly their audience wants. They don't differ from the norm because that brings them megabucks.

:qotd:

You always have the most amusingly nonsensical things to say

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Couldn't agree more. The best and most illuminating criticism is in essay form. I don't really care whether a critic liked something or not, but I do appreciate the time, effort, and care it takes to write a thoughtful review. Appearing on YouTube is basically just performance art, the actual content of the review is on the bottom of priorities. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Early impression from 2016 (even in a notoriously weak month historically)... This is going to be one of the least attended years in recent movie history. Schedule is weak & performance will match that.

I expect a year that mirrors 2014 only with 400 and 500M grossers.