grim22

The Invisible Man | Feb 28 2020 | Will be available on VOD Friday March 20

Just now, Valonqar said:

no, I totally have a clue. their horror isn't accessible and isn't even scary. WTF was The Lighthouse about? Eggers just pulled some things out of his ass cause he couldn't escalate the conflict between Batz and Dafoe in a logical way. 

Ah, so accessible horror = good horror. 

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

accessible horror = horror that people care to see

You only like horror people like to see? I guess you love The Nun then? If the GA can't stomach movies like Midsommar, then I guess those movies did their jobs. I doubt anyone made it past the first horrifying 10 minutes of that movie.

Edited by lorddemaxus

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Point being, some movies achieve fine balance between accessible and creative (one doesn't contradict the other) and TIM is one of them. 

That doesn't make movies like Midsommar, Hereditary, and The Lighthouse faux-horror. Most horror films aren't accessible to audiences. No one cared to see films like Doctor Sleep, Daniel isn't Real, Color Out of Space, Ready or Not, or The Lodge either. It's even worse OS. Unless its a Conjuring movie, OS audiences don't give a shit. This movie will probably gross half of its DOM gross OS.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

faux-horror is anything that calls itself horror but isn't scary. if your movie's money shot is an awkward sex scene that has the audience ROTFL, that's not horror or wires crossed somewhere real bad. 

@Maggie Exactly. But but B&W cinematography so it must be a masterpiece right? :rolleyes:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

faux-horror is anything that calls itself horror but isn't scary. if your movie's money shot is an awkward sex scene that has the audience ROTFL, that's not horror or wires crossed somewhere real bad. 

But those movies are scary. Midsommar's money shot wasn't the sex scene lmao.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

That doesn't make movies like Midsommar, Hereditary, and The Lighthouse faux-horror. Most horror films aren't accessible to audiences. No one cared to see films like Doctor Sleep, Daniel isn't Real, Color Out of Space, Ready or Not, or The Lodge either. It's even worse OS. Unless its a Conjuring movie, OS audiences don't give a shit. This movie will probably gross half of its DOM gross OS.

While TCU is clearly a beast OS, I wouldn't say that OS audiences doesn't care for Horror movies.

Unless a movie breaks out quite huge DOM like AQP or are too American-Oriented like US/Get Out, the OS share is almost always bigger.

OS share for some Horror movies:

Split: 51%

IT2: 55%

IT1: 53%

Happy Death Day: 56%

Crawl: 57%

Truth or Dare: 57%

Lights Out: 55%

La Lrona: 56%

Insidious 4: 60%

Escape Room: 63%

TIM will probably be 50/50.

Edited by The Horror of Lucas Films

What people talked about the most is the money shot, unintentional as it may be. In TIM, all money shots are on the money pun intended. 

@The Horror of Lucas Films There were too many of them so I figured there was no point to start from the middle. But I plan to binge the whole series soon. I know that The Conjuring was a phenoenon and is considered really good. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Lighthouse is not good. I love Hereditary and Midsommar. 

Maybe I am not intellectual enough to understand shit in Lighthouse. 

Horror movies are some of the best movies ever made in my opinion. 

Lighthouse wasn't a horror film though, I feel like people are only bringing it up because Eggers did the Witch beforehand. It's a character drama

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Lighthouse wasn't a horror film though, I feel like people are only bringing it up because Eggers did the Witch beforehand. It's a character drama

It certainly feels like horror. 

That masturbation scene was horrifying. 

Seeing Dafoe in that attire shocked me to core. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

You only like horror people like to see? I guess you love The Nun then? If the GA can't stomach movies like Midsommar, then I guess those movies did their jobs. I doubt anyone made it past the first horrifying 10 minutes of that movie.

You’re arguing with a 5 year old.

I thought this was good, but I was let down (just slightly) given my expectations. I heard a lot of people buzzing about the ending, which I really didn't enjoy at all. The movie has two really good twists (one of which I saw coming though) and I think the trailers gave too much away, leaving the film with a feeling of 'it didn't have much up its sleeve'.

Also, there were quite a few shots in the trailer that weren't in the actual movie, wasn't there? I don't want to give anything away not under tags, but there's a really prominent shot in the marketing that I don't remember whatsoever.

Spoiler

the hand on the shower door. I also don't remember there being anything at the beginning setting up that Moss can't be deemed mentally incompetent. Felt like that would have made for a more compelling first two acts if it had been established earlier on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Strop trying to humiliate Val, he's a smart guy.. Just because you don't agree with most of his points, it doesn't mean he's dumb. 

Thanks! well, I forgive them cause their faves flopped so it's easier to say "you are 5 years old cause you don't get this amazing flop's greatness" than concede the movie flopped because it was so unappealing most people didn't like it and told others to skip it. :)

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 1