grim22

The Invisible Man | Feb 28 2020 | Will be available on VOD Friday March 20

The “Universal Monsters” are poorly defined anyway. Beyond the fact that characters like Dracula, the Invisible Man and the Frankenstein Monster are public domain, Universal also was apparently planning on including Quasimodo of all characters in the Dark Universe.

Edited by WittyUsername

Just now, WittyUsername said:

The “Universal Monsters” are poorly defined anyway. Beyond the fact that characters like Dracula and the Frankenstein Monster are public domain, Universal also was apparently planning on including Quasimodo of all characters in the Dark Universe.

Except for Blackie, all the Uni monsters are now public domain. The Invisible Man entered the public domain in the 1990's with the other classic HG Wells novels and the Mummy and the Wolfman were too general a concept for Uni to successfully copyright. (Hammer films made a Mummy film in 1959 and Universal could not do a thing about it). The Creature From The Black Lagoon is the only Uni monster they still have a monopoly on.

I've always loved the idea of a Dark Universe, but they should've went with BH since the beginning. Monster movies has a limited appeal, and most of them are dated for a portion of the audience these days, giving these movies a huge budget and trying to turn them into a blockbuster mess was never a good choice.

I'd love to see the success of TIM bulding a new (and small/accessible) DU. More interested in the Horror aspect than in the spetacle. 

1 hour ago, Boxofficerules said:

All the Universal monster movies should lead to a remake of The Monster Squad!

Trying to think what two comedians could be in a new Version of "Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein".

Ironic that the last hurrah, in the late 40's, of the classic Universal Monsters was in a series of comedies.

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

I've always loved the idea of a Dark Universe, but they should've went with BH since the beginning. Monster movies has a limited appeal, and most of them are dated for a portion of the audience these days, giving these movies a huge budget and trying to turn them into a blockbuster mess was never a good choice.

I'd love to see the success of TIM bulding a new (and small/accessible) DU. More interested in the Horror aspect than in the spetacle. 

I think the problem was Uni wanted to go with the "action Horror/hybred ( a la the 2000 Mummy)" as the standard, and a lot of the Universal Monsters are simply not good choices for that, they work  better as straight up horror. Remember what mess Van Helsing was going the pure action route?Glad to see they are going that route with Invisible Man, though still skeptical about the complete departure from the Wells novel.

Edited by dudalb

Wow those reviews.

And I note that Moss is being singled out for praise. I think she is getting the best reviews of her career.

I remember her best as President Bartlett's daughter in "The West Wing".

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

can someone explain to me what Dark Universe is supposed to be? is that like Avengers team up but with monsters?

If the Tom Cruise Mummy movie is any indication, it was supposed to be this big action franchise with a lot of spectacle, as well as an overarching storyline. Essentially, it was supposed to be like the MCU, but with monsters. 

And yes, this was an official video from Universal’s YouTube account. 

19 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

If the Tom Cruise Mummy movie is any indication, it was supposed to be this big action franchise with a lot of spectacle, as well as an overarching storyline. Essentially, it was supposed to be like the MCU, but with monsters. 

And yes, this was an official video from Universal’s YouTube account. 

Just as lucky this did not happen. I can see some crossovers with the Uni Monsters, but not a full scale MCU style thing. Just would  not have worked.

And they would probably have downplayed the horror aspects to almost non existence.

I think that video was planned to sell the DVD Bluray Universal Monsters sets (which I own and are very well done) and they decided to stick the Dark Universe label on it at the last minute.

Edited by dudalb