grim22

The Invisible Man | Feb 28 2020 | Will be available on VOD Friday March 20

3 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

I've never said he should like it because it's a 'woke movie'. I'm talking about some aspects in the movie that are extremely gay-friendly.

The movie also has many aspects that are female and feminist friendly. Don't think there are many that like the movie.

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Why you didn't like it? I can understand someone like @JB33 hating it, but a gay man? I fail to understand what's there to not like. 

You know, a movie can be just... bad, regardless of whatever social messages it has. And I think a lot of people on these boards, given their love for 'cinema' are able to separate the two. Movies might not have any real social subtext and still be great movies. Movies can be super progressive but even 'progressive people' won't like them because they're shitty movies. 

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

You know, a movie can be just... bad, regardless of whatever social messages it has. And I think a lot of people on these boards, given their love for 'cinema' are able to separate the two. Movies might not have any real social subtext and still be great movies. Movies can be super progressive but even 'progressive people' won't like them because they're shitty movies. 

Jesus, I've never said it is a good movie for politic reasons, or that he should enjoy it because it's a 'woke movie'. I just said that there's several elements in this movie that has gay appeal (I know this becauce I'm gay myself), so, I'm surprised he didn't enjoy it.

After all, the only reaosn why people disliked it is because it managed to commit the sin of changing several aspects of the original movie -and thank God for that, since the original movie carries a lot of problems-. 

2 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Why you didn't like it? I can understand someone like @JB33 hating it, but a gay man? I fail to understand what's there to not like. 

Oh yeh no offence taken btw.

It was mostly the twist and I thought the direction was very amateur. That Exorcist 3 homage jump scare should’ve been a home run, but the camera literally moved and it fell apart. 

The twist made me literally roll my eyes and check the time. I also thought the casting and script were poor. 

The “whokeness” was the least of its worries. The deaths also didn’t land with the rating. 

I love the 2006 remake btw; prefer it to the original. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Are you going to create it? I'll be IN.

A better club could be TIM O/U BOP WW, DOM it is locked, imo. 

can you do it? I'm sort of a jinx. Every club I created was coco loco except Episode IX Out of Top 5 WW. That one succeeded but I don't want to risk TIM. I'll join if you make it.

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Jesus, I've never said it is a good movie for politic reasons, or that he should enjoy it because it's a 'woke movie'. I just said that there's several elements in this movie that has gay appeal (I know this becauce I'm gay myself), so, I'm surprised he didn't enjoy it.

After all, the only reaosn why people disliked it is because it managed to commit the sin of changing several aspects of the original movie -and thank God for that, since the original movie carries a lot of problems-. 

Yes but just because a movie has "gay appeal" or "straight appeal" or whatever kind of 'appeal' doesn't mean someone who agrees with those themes is going to necessarily enjoy the movie as a whole. And by saying the only reason people disliked it is because it changed aspects of the original movie is just plain wrong, since obviously people like/dislike movies for different reasons. 

Actually, my problem with the film is there throwing out the HG Wells novel completely...

Now if they had filmed the novel with a women in the main role and change it to the Invisible Woman that would have been interesting....though some feminist would not have liked it....

Spoiler

In the Wells novel, being invisible without being able to return to normal drives the Invisible man mad and he becomes a homicidal maniac.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, this is looking like an overperformance, especially with those reviews (I expected something in the 70s like Doctor Sleep or Scary Stories considering that horror usually doesn't get unaniumous praise). Gonna go with 27 mil OW and 80 mil finish. 

But... But I thought you said there was zero buzz for it and it was going to do numbers closer to Fantasy Island, did it create buzz in less than one week? :thinking: 

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Didn't know I can't change my predictions.

I just think it's funny how fast it developed buzz according to you. 

Despite the fact there were several members here saying for weeks that it was generating far more buzz than FI.  To not mention the fact that Uni was actually promoting it. You don't pay a Super Bowl spot for an Horror movie unless you believe it will break out. 

4 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

How will this tie into the Dark Universe tho?

No tie in. The Dark Universe is pretty much dead.

Universal seems more interested in making good individual films using the Universal monsters, and then, maybe, have a couple of crossover.

Actully, the original Universal monsters went 14 years without a crossover. First Uni Monster was Dracula in 1930, but there was no crossover until

"Frankenstein Vs The Wolfman" in 1944. And the Creature From the BLack Lagooon never appeared with another of the Uni monsters.

Edited by dudalb

16 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

I just think it's funny how fast it developed buzz according to you. 

Despite the fact there were several members here saying for weeks that it was generating far more buzz than FI.  To not mention the fact that Uni was actually promoting it. You don't pay a Super Bowl spot for an Horror movie unless you believe it will break out. 

Well, stop whining about it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

also gay and curious about what the hell is "gay appeal" 

should gays "enjoy" a movie just as long as it's gay-friendly ?

14 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Missed an opportunity to have Russell Crowe reprise his iconic role 

Irony is that Jekyll /Hyde was NEVER a Universal Monster until Crowe played him. MGM had the rights to the Stevenson story until the late 1940's; the classic film versions with Fredric March and Spencer Tracy were MGM productions."The Mummy" (2017) was the first Uni film to feature Dr Jekill/Mr. Hyde.

What is interesting is that the Spencer Tracy version of Mr Hyde is the closest to Stevenson description of Mr Hyde:He is not a Monster per se, does not undergo a big transformation like the Wolfman, but is an really sinister looking man that gives you the creeps but still human.. The evil but human make up for Tracy..and of course his performance is the closest to the Stevenson original.

Edited by dudalb